Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/21/11 18:08

Lukas Kreator

Oni LevelTools

As Samer asked, I'll post my progress here.

Oni LevelTools is the temporary/permanent name of a program I'm making wich will automate the process of level modding. You supply it some files and, whenever you have to test new changes, just press the update button. For now, it will just do the basic stuff, but I may implement more advanced things in the future. I've been testing it in the Mibbit chat with other people, but they are gone from the chat :\, so I'll just leave the download link here for whoever wants to test it. Once I'm finished with it, dirk will compile a Mac version for me (thanks, dirk).

[Screenshots]

Simple:
LevelToolsSimple.jpg
Advanced:
LevelTools_Debug.jpg

[Download]

Windows
Please, tell me if this works.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (08/22/11 10:08)

#2 08/21/11 19:08

Iritscen

Re: Oni LevelTools

Looks interesting so far!  Looking forward to testing it when I have something to test in it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 08/21/11 20:08

Dirk Gently
Website

Not going to lie, your UX is not half bad.

#4 08/22/11 11:08

Lukas Kreator

Oh, thanks. I've been working on this for some time, I hope it is usefull.

#5 08/22/11 12:08

Dirk Gently
Website

If you are interested, i could give you some pointers on cleaning up that UI later today.

#6 08/22/11 12:08

EdT
Website

Looking good!  I like being able to see the messages within the program.

#7 08/22/11 14:08

Lukas Kreator

Hmm, sure, dirk.

And thanks EdT.

#8 08/23/11 00:08

EdT
Website

A couple of suggestions, you could offer support for the OniSplit command -room:extract  This command will remove all the vertical polygons in a level so you have the basis for the bnv model.  The command format is -room:extract environment.dae -out:rooms.dae Now the rooms.dae will be the bnv model for the pathfinding grids.

The second is to extract the AKEV from an existing level.  I know this can be done in OniSplit GUI, but your program is called LevelTools. smile 
The command is -extract:dae AKEV.oni

#9 08/23/11 10:08

Lukas Kreator

Good suggestions. That will remove the need of all that Pathfinding stuff, one checkbox will now be sufficient.

Have you already tried editing Daes from original levels? I didn't know that was possible...

#10 08/23/11 10:08

EdT
Website

No, you will still need to keep all the pathfinding stuff, the command -room, will only make a bnv dae, you still have to make the pathfinding grids.  In the Lair tutorial, I'll explain the pathfinding process.

When you extract the AKEV, you get the environment, bnv and objects from the level. I have not tried editing the original levels, but I have used the objects from the levels for the Junkyard and Lair levels.  Sketchup can open most of the level dae files, though, some levels crash Sketchup.

#11 08/23/11 10:08

Lukas Kreator

You don't get it. I will make so that the Pathfinding Grids checkbox enables the generation of the 'pathfinding dae' and then creation of the actual grids, all in one. wink

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (08/23/11 10:08)

#12 08/24/11 11:08

Lukas Kreator

Can someone please try this out? I must know if it works... hmm

I know that few people are making levels at the moment, but I must know if this even starts up on other computers.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (08/24/11 11:08)

#13 08/24/11 14:08

EdT
Website

Once you compile a Mac version, you'll get lots of comments from me smile

#14 08/24/11 21:08

Dirk Gently
Website

Once I get the code we can start work.

#15 08/24/11 21:08

Lukas Kreator

I just wanted to know what DLLs I'd have to deploy for Windows users. I also didn't want to compile for Mac before I went out of Beta, because changes will be made all the time and a lot of compilations will have to be done... But I think I can make a Mac Beta too, I'll send it to you, dirk, in a few days, I guess.

#16 08/25/11 12:08

Dirk Gently
Website

I will not be using QT, so i will need your code sans the dlls for QT, and i will port it over to interface with native controls. Depending on when i get it i should have it done by next friday at the latest.

#17 09/08/11 14:09

EdT
Website

Lukas: I hope you can update your level tools for the new method of importing level files.

If it can do the following, that will great

1) Extract AKEV from existing levels. -extract:dae output sourcefile -search ../GameDataFolder/level0_Final
2) Import level files: -create:level output source.xml
3) Rebuild/compile the level
4) Extract .oni files as .xml files
5) Convert .obj files to M3GM
6) Convert xml files to .oni files

Thanks

Last edited by EdT (09/08/11 14:09)

#18 09/08/11 15:09

Lukas Kreator

Wow, I couldn't even finish the first version yet... I guess I'm too slow smile
I'll try to dedicate this weekend or the next week to finishing it, adding those features.

#19 09/09/11 11:09

Lukas Kreator

Now it is getting quite similar to OniSplit GUI, because I had to add tabs hmm

#20 09/09/11 11:09

Iritscen

Well, at least your tool is actively being developed smile

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#21 09/16/11 10:09

Lukas Kreator

Well, maybe "actively being developed" is not the best expression in this case.

Argh, I'm sorry, I won't be able to finish this until I get my inspiration back. I'm having a quite big inspiration crysis and I've not programmed anything for quite a long time. I'll most likely get my inspiration back and finish this in one night, as usual, but I don't know if that will happen soon. It can happen today, next week or next month. I just can't give release dates anymore. There is also the fact that I have to get inspiration for a long period, as I'll have to do all that testing process wich is kinda difficult with Oni.

I said I'd work on it this week but I didn't. I'm sorry. I WILL finish this one day, but I'm just writing this because I don't want to frustrate you anymore, if I'm doing that.
I will not make this without inspiration because I'd rather not do anything than do shitty work.
I'll keep trying to help people in the forums and discuss ideas, however.

Maybe this is not a big surprise, but I'm writing this because Samer asked us to keep people updated. Just don't count on this for now. Again, I'm very sorry.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (09/16/11 10:09)

#22 09/17/11 10:09

demos_kratos

Ohh. I see what you did here... *pokerface*
I don't have a PC around and I'm such a lazy-ass to use bootcamp or get the notebook from the Den of the Forgotten. Hence the ultimate lack of activity on OSGUI. I was going to rewrite it in some decent language but again I'm such a lazy-ass.

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

Board footer