Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/04/11 00:08

Samer
Website

Little idea about improving face textures.

I was reading in the wiki here  http://wiki.oni2.net/w/index.php?title= … ed_texture ... about animated textures and i thought it could be an interesting idea to make facial textures more realistic and lively.
example have 1 konoko face texture where her eyes are closed, another 1 with eyes open .. make them into 1 animated texture setting the proper delay ... now she blinks every now and then , or make her a smiley face texture another one frowning, or various facial expressions to change at certain delay ... now her facial expressions change everynow and then instead of being frozen in that one expression all the time.
Currently i don't have enough time to pursue this project but i thought i'd throw the idea out there if any of our great texturers want to adopt it like Severed or Bozzman or V.R ...
for konoko easy modification on photoshop of the face textures by Severed can yield many different facial expressions

Last edited by Samer (08/04/11 00:08)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 08/04/11 00:08

Lithium

Re: Little idea about improving face textures.

Sounds interesting, but the thing is that we don't really focus on their faces often do we?

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 08/04/11 00:08

Samer
Website

yeah but that doesn't stop us form improving their face textures and modeling their face more smoothly in xsi so this is another idea ..
when player controlled u won't see their face .. but when u fight them .. or for in cinematics or stuff like that

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#4 08/04/11 06:08

Nitr0

They can maybe make animated textures for talking in cutscenes smile

Ninjabar thin

#5 08/04/11 11:08

Lukas Kreator

That would be really cool. The custscenes are very little realistic.

#6 08/04/11 11:08

Yoriko

How about different facial expressions through different moods perhaps? Having a rage expression when executing attacks or having a worried expression when very damaged. Not sure if that could be done though......

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#7 08/04/11 15:08

Bozzman

I am absolutely horrid at faces - however here is my speculation. I'm not thoroughly experienced with XML, so is it possible to insert variable delay between textures? Here's how otherwise.
A blink would be a quick delay. However we don't want the characters to be having a seizure, as texture A (eyes open) and texture B (eyes closed) would flicker quickly.
A long delay would result in the amazing ability to fight with their eyes closed.
So with what I know we would have to have a quick delay but with multiple instances of texture A (A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,B) that way the blink would be quick but wouldnt happen constantly.

That's just as far as I know - If a varible delay between textures is possible it would make it quite easier. Then you could have even more options (A,B,A,B,C,A,etc) with C being the eyes glancing off to the left or right.

Here take this hypo!

#8 08/04/11 15:08

Mukade

I've actually been considering doing some small animations to be preformed in cutscenes. Simple body language stuff, but I think it would really help, the cutscenes are kinda blah with them just standing around. But my plate is pretty full, so I probably won't get around to this for awhile.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Board footer