Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/18/11 09:06

EdT
Website

Create levels with Pathfinding grids - Bleeding edge modding

This is for advanced modders who like to experiment, can overcome problems without crying for help the moment an issue arises. :-)

The latest version of OniSplit was released for testing that autogenerates pathfinding grids.  It's not perfect, there are still some bugs that needs to be worked out, such as at times you can fall through the floor.  (My current workaround is to add another floor plane, right below the original floor so if the Ai falls through the first floor it will land on the 2nd floor) Also, exiting levels cannot be imported back to Oni yet, doors, sidewalks, objects still have some issues.

However, with these limitations in mind, we can start experimenting with new levels that will have pathfinding grids, so the AI's can fight! :-D

In order to create the grids you will need 2 dae files. 1) Environment file, this is the file with the level's 3d data and textures and 2) BNV file, this holds the pathfinding grides.  I recommend extracting the AKEV from the arena level, then you can see how geyser made the bnv file to match the env file.  Play around with the level's design to get an idea how things work then import back to Oni and see what happens!

To get started here is the latest OniSplit: http://edt.oni2.net/OniSplit/OniSplit56.exe.zip
Note: Keep the previous version of OniSplit for your normal molding and use this version only for level molding.  I noticed some things work differently, like texture creation, but haven't had time to see how to use them.

The basic commands are:
1)To create the pathfinding grids:

-grid:create level_bnv.dae  level_env.dae -out:generated_grids

2) To create the AKEV:

-create:akev output   level_env.dae   level_bnv.dae
AKEV is created in the output directory

Once you have your new AKEV, rebuild the level and see what happens!

For reference, see the thread on creating new levels:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1515

For my first experiment, I used my junkyard level, the BNV file was basically a flat plane made up of 16 square polygons. each polygon represents a "room".  I don't know the size limit of a room, so it is trial and error to see how large a room you can make in the BNV.  Now the size of a room in the 3D model will not correspond to the size of the room in the BNV.  Look at the arena level, it is one room, however, in the bnv there are many rooms or polygons that define the pathfinding grids.  You may not understand this at first and probably I'm not explaining it correctly, so I'll fix the explanation better as time goes on :-)

Up to this point, I have played around with pathfinding grids for a few hours, so my knowledge and experience is limited.  As I learn more, Ill update this post with more specific information and make a tutorial.  Until then you're on your own.

#2 06/18/11 12:06

3D-Map-Universe

Re: Create levels with Pathfinding grids - Bleeding edge modding

EdT it tells you, we will create a level?

#3 06/20/11 12:06

EdT
Website

3D: Yes if you can start with a simple level/map design, then I can help with making the pathfinding grids for it.  If it works, then we can try a more complex level.

#4 06/20/11 16:06

3D-Map-Universe

EdT,ok good so what's stage can we make, NO IDEA or the Konoko's And Muro's Home ^^ with bed and shower ^^ smile

#5 06/20/11 21:06

EdT
Website

3D: Start with something simple, small and has a style of the Oni world.

#6 06/20/11 22:06

Dirk Gently
Website

realistic environments, large scale cities or buildings, it would have to be modeled to scale.

Board footer