Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/16/11 22:06

Dirk Gently
Website

Ghost in the Shell

I figured I might as well make this topic considering the relevance to the game. I watched the first two movies tonight, I am borrowing the two seasons from a friend that I should get to this weekend. I am not one for anime/manga but I did enjoy the first movie, i like the similarities to the game. Who else has seen these, what are your thoughts?

NOTE: No spoilers if you can help it, I am still watching so i'd appreciate no spoilers, and I am sure anyone that wants to pick up and watch would like to have this be spoiler free as well.

#2 06/17/11 04:06

Paff
Website

Re: Ghost in the Shell

I personally don't really like the films much, but enjoy the TV series quite a lot. Definitely relevant to Oni, as I understand it it was the single biggest influence on the game.

EDIT: Haven't read the manga much yet, though my impression is that it's stylistically fairly different from the films/shows.

Last edited by Paff (06/17/11 04:06)

#3 06/17/11 05:06

DarkLitria
Website

i dont like the movies too, the two seasons is more entertaining then the movie XP.

No BLOOD no foul.

#4 06/17/11 05:06

Coyote

Well, movies are more philosophical and deep(except solid state society - which was crap) while tv series serve mainly action. I highly recommend reading manga - it is something between movies and tv series, but you can read it only if you're +18 tongue, because of...well...+18 stuff.

Last edited by Coyote (06/17/11 05:06)

Does your blood burn when you kill? Mine does

#5 06/17/11 07:06

Iritscen

Both the movies and the series are pretty thoughtful and slow at times, with awesome action at other times.  In fact, a lot of the TV series really feels like a detective show in the vein of some live-action shows.  I think you'll like it, although I frankly found the second season confusing.  But one thing that you always get is food for thought; there's nothing shallow about the property (ahem, except for some dubiously-justified fan service).

If I had one complaint about the property as a whole, it's that the Major is kind of an empty shell with no personality.  They will reveal some of her past in Season 2 of the show, which helps a little, but overall she's just not very human.  It makes me glad that Hardy decided to deviate from GitS when he took over Oni, because he probably made Konoko more human in the process.  She *was* originally going to be a cyborg warrior chick à la Motoko.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 06/18/11 09:06

Yoriko

Iritscen wrote:

She *was* originally going to be a cyborg warrior chick à la Motoko.

Bleh, that would suck. In Oni Konoko (or Mai if you prefer) is vulnerable at times whilst she is also this fighting chick who takes personal revenge on the tctf (for keeping information about her parents.) and the syndicate. (for being deuches and wanting to kill everyone in the city) I'd say that the fact that she has something growing inside her and replacing all her normal organs makes her a much richer character than some half robot creature.

EDIT: There's also this: Mai is also trying to prevent herself from becoming mad and overly agressive killing everyone in her path. Mukade is someone who has let himself be enslaved by it I'd say which is why Mai is afraid of him.

Last edited by Yoriko (06/18/11 09:06)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#7 08/25/11 17:08

Satyr

I have both the first and the second movie. I have only seen the first though, but I liked it a LOT. It's not really an action-anime. The main-question in the movie is a very good one: if your own body is almost completely substituted by mechanical parts, are you still human? Where do you draw the line between man and machine?

#8 08/25/11 17:08

Lukas Kreator

Yeah, Satyr.

a much richer character than some half robot creature

Ghost in the Shell is not that simple. You are understimating it.

#9 10/21/11 04:10

RuthgerMiles

We'll  I''e bought the first series, and I'm expecting it to be in my mail tomorow! But do  I need to watch the movies first or am I fine just watching the series ?

You play to much oni if: You paint your hair purple, call your little brother Muro and beats him up 3 times a day like this...

crazydolfightom4lk0.gif

#10 10/21/11 06:10

Iritscen

I'd say that the movies won't really help you understand the series, since they're pretty distinct, so either way should be fine.  But definitely watch the movies in order and the two TV series in order.  And I'm still having a seizure from that sig, seriously dude.

#11 10/21/11 11:10

RuthgerMiles

Got it! smile Starting with it after dinner, excited!

You play to much oni if: You paint your hair purple, call your little brother Muro and beats him up 3 times a day like this...

crazydolfightom4lk0.gif

#12 10/21/11 15:10

Delano762
Website

Lukas Kreator wrote:

Ghost in the Shell is not that simple. You are understimating it.

Let's say I'm an anime hater. I mean, I don't hate it, it just seems idiotic (most of the things I saw made me think so) to me, and properly executed bullshit can give me the nightmares. You know what I mean. Does GitS have any things/problems like that, or is it bearable (like Oni) for guys like me?

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#13 10/23/11 11:10

Dirk Gently
Website

To be honest, I don't really enjoy anime or manga, it just does not click with me at all. However I did enjoy GitS very much and found it very watchable.

#14 01/07/12 12:01

Windy

neutral

Last edited by Windy (01/17/12 10:01)

#15 01/07/12 12:01

Iritscen

Windy wrote:

I have a few questions out of many, that I would like to ask you all.
Firstly, what is the correct order to watch this? I realy hope stand alone complex is the first season.

Stand Alone Complex is a two-season TV series.  There's no other TV series, just the original movie, the sequel to that movie (Innocence), and the movie sequel to the TV series (Solid State Society).  The TV series and sequel movie are essentially unrelated to the original movie and its sequel.  If you count the original manga, you have three "alternate" universes of GitS.

Why aren't the characters family shown? What about Motokos personal life?

She doesn't really have one.  The kinds of people who join Section 9 are generally not family men and women, for one reason or another.  Togusa is the regular guy in the bunch, and his family is shown in various episodes of SAC and is important to the plot of SSS.

What will happen to the "tachikomas" (mini tanks), and what happened to that "tachikoma" that used to read books?

That depends on where in the story you are.  It's also hard to answer that without spoilers for everyone.  I suggest you watch the second season of SAC if you haven't already, and then the SSS movie.

And can someone explain me what exacly is happening at the end of the last episode ?

Hmm, that would end up spoiling it for everyone else, don't you think?  I guess we could put up a big spoiler tag....

#16 01/07/12 12:01

Windy

neutral

#17 01/08/12 10:01

Dirk Gently
Website

Windy wrote:

Why aren't the characters family shown? What about Motokos personal life?

* Batou has/had a dog
* Motoko is an orphan
* Togusa has a wife and child
* Aramaki is a bachelor
* Paz is a womenizer
* Ishikawa is a bachelor
* Saito is a bachelor
* Borma is a bachelor

Motoko has some close relations with a few people outside of section 9, this is shown in the manga as well as in the TV show (maybe the movie, I forget) where she stores older memories in an external storage device in a penthouse apartment that is lived in by a number of other women. It is implied that they have a close relationship with motoko, and that is more closely demonstrated in the manga than in the TV show.

#18 01/08/12 10:01

Windy

neutral

#19 01/08/12 10:01

Dirk Gently
Website

During any of the story lines, Motoko is very in-particular with her sexuality and has no problem showing it (look at her outfits) I don't think she cares about male/female. This is drawn from her being fully prosthetic, it is not "her" body the same way as a real body would be.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (01/08/12 10:01)

#20 01/13/12 14:01

Windy

neutral

#21 01/13/12 15:01

Lithium

No what he's saying that she doesn't really care for any of that. That's all.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#22 01/13/12 16:01

Windy

neutral

#23 01/13/12 17:01

Iritscen

It's implied (mainly in the manga) that Motoko has female "playmates".  Make of that what you will (cough, fan service, cough).

#24 01/13/12 17:01

Windy

neutral

#25 01/13/12 18:01

Lithium

megusta.jpg

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Board footer