Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/03/11 13:06

Yoriko

Gameplay ideas

Right, so I'm just gonna dissect my brain and spread out all my ideas/suggestions/questions about what's possible to do with the oni engine in this topic. smile

Idea nr 1: I've seen this and I wonder how you managed to carthwheel escape from a throw, I saw that "evil" konoko wasnt 100% flawless at escaping that throw either so I wonder if you can grant high class enemies the ability to escape throws from time to time. If that is possible, would it also be possible to change the "chance" that an opponent escapes the throw from enemy to enemy, for instance: A ninja would have a better chance to shadow dash away from a backbreaker than a thug, this will aquire you to think before you act when sneaking up on an enemy with a weapon: Should I go for the gun or take my chances with a backbreaker?

Idea nr 2: Would it be possible to make it so that you can carry two weapons without the use F7 in developer mode? So that you can pick up a weapon without needing to unholster your current weapon, drop it, then pick up the enemy weapon, then waste him. Besides running around with two firearms usually isnt a good idea beacause chances are that the first striker to engage you in melee combat while holding a pistol will probably yoink the gun off of you and fill you with lead. You cannot dash either.

Those are the ideas I can think of atm, will return to this topic when more come to mind.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#2 06/03/11 18:06

Dirk Gently
Website

Re: Gameplay ideas

It is theoretically possible to hold up to 3 weapons.

#3 06/03/11 18:06

Iritscen

Is it that the AI is escaping from a throw, or simply dodging an attack which happens to be a throw?  Because Oni doesn't have a throw-escape system per se.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 06/04/11 05:06

Yoriko

@Dirk Gently How? I know that by holstering your weapon then using F7 in developer mode you can have two weapons to switch beetween by pressing q, the only way to go in to melee from there is if you drop 1 of your weapons. How can you carry 3 weapons?

@Iritscen Andrashi made the video, dont ask me tongue But it looks like he was able to stop his opponent from attacking and go into some kind of pre-throw state from where he can execute different throws, allthough at 1:15 in the video he failed to execute a throw from the pre-throw state. hmm Hopefully Andrashi will reply to this topic so that we may get some answers.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#5 06/04/11 07:06

paradox-01

I'm barely familiar with the stun / throw escape system. So all I do is guessing: I think that the vid shows version 1 and that version 2 was available over there. The backup should be this one.

#6 06/04/11 07:06

Iritscen

Ah, I didn't realize that you were talking about one of Loser's hacks when you brought up throw escapes.  If Loser is willing to stop deleting his work and work with us, we can look into whether it's a practical hack to include in the AE smile

The answer to the secret of carrying 3 weapons is found here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=779

#7 06/04/11 19:06

Loser

Loser deletes the stuff which serves no purpose or is unfinished. No point in having tons of things online, all of them just "maybe working" or "could use improvement". As for description of mods, there is always nice great wall of text and a video proof, sometimes a demo. All of these small things are (were) just a part of a bigger combat system modification. Usefulness (or better say uselessness) of these mods was also questioned numerous times here on OCF. Another point why not to keep these online. Let's keep online the final product only, it'll be better for us all ^_^.

Since Yoriko is eager for some gameplay changes, here comes a script (done instead of learning for Bachelor's ^_-).
http://exloser.sweb.cz/ONI_stereopics/g … hanics.bsl
Global holstering mechanics for AI. Should be put into "global" folder in IGMD folder, so it is accesible in all levels. This script only shows how it would look if Oni had holstering feature for AI,it sometimes works good and sometimes not so good (nature of used scripting). Until Gumby, Iritscen or another one of code folks implements some neccessary code, proper holstering will be off limits for AI and the best we can get is some emulation via BSL scripts.

Last edited by Loser (06/07/11 23:06)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#8 06/07/11 12:06

Yoriko

How do I download/install that script? All I get is a text page hmm
Also, I cant find any global folder in the IGMD. I've got another IGMD folder in the editions IGMD folder aswell.

Last edited by Yoriko (06/07/11 13:06)

#9 06/07/11 17:06

EdT
Website

Loser: Global holster works well!

Yoriko: You have to save the file to your computer. Create a new folder called global and put it in your active IGMD folder.  Then put Loser's script in there

#10 06/07/11 23:06

Loser

Thanks EdT, global holster works semi-good ... well, with one or two AIs. After the release I ran a stress test (Level 8) only to be kicked under the knee again by ONI - amount of forks (parallel functions) used in a script is too much for ONI to handle it for more than two or three characters. Try more, get error warnings and of course malfunction behavior.

So...this is a dead end as well, apart from being used for some boss battles. Any other ideas how to force this feature in? I also thought about introducing system of distributed medium sized TrigVolumes, where if two characters from enemy teams are in, they are forced to perform holster. When there is only one team inside, AI are allowed to unholster. Issue is this will looks too rigid as it would be easily observable where to stand in order to make AI unholster. I think it is another no-go.

Any OTHER ideas? Anyone?

Last edited by Loser (06/07/11 23:06)

#11 06/08/11 02:06

Lithium

How about full on T-Bag support sir?

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#12 06/08/11 05:06

Yoriko

I would like to know a little more about the stun system you've cooked up Loser smile

Loser wrote:

Any OTHER ideas? Anyone?

Oh me me *jumps up and down*

How about running combos? Some running attacks doesnt knock down your enemies so how about they can be followed up by other attacks? Example: While running: punch punch then kick.

Last edited by Yoriko (06/08/11 16:06)

#13 06/09/11 05:06

Loser

Coming from Help&tTroubleshooting thread, where Iritscen said he would like to see more diversity in behavior of civilians.
Backup airport1_level_logic.bsl, import contents of the enclosed rar file. Play the first savepoint of the Airport level (lots of civilians). Try not to rush through, we all know we are good fighters after all those years. Just relax and observe civilian males.
http://exloser.sweb.cz/ONI_stereopics/A … ilians.rar

Loser

P.S.1: Exam in a few days and  I am scripting. What a way to procrastrinate...
P.S.2: And I meant any other ideas how to implement holstering for AI^_-.

P.S.3: Serious request - Iritscen, can you please ban me from now for a week? Please, it is for my own good. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Loser (06/09/11 05:06)

#14 06/09/11 07:06

Iritscen

Okay, will do.  I've been thinking about our old chats lately, and I'd like to resume some of those discussions, but first I want to hear that you did well on your exams smile  So put everything else out of mind for now and hit those books!

#15 06/09/11 08:06

Dirk Gently
Website

>Loser
>Banned

LOOOOOL

#16 06/09/11 11:06

Lukas Kreator

Holy shit! Unorthodox methods...

#17 06/12/11 07:06

Yoriko

Well that was unexpected........
Eitherway, is it possible to lenghten the animation it takes to reload? Maybe into something more realistic rather than just hitting the blackadder clip to reload it, I was thinking you'll need to take out the clip, reach into your pocket, pull out a new clip and put it into the gun. I estimate it would take 5 seconds to do that with a handgun rather than 1 second.

#18 07/04/11 12:07

Mukade

Enitrely possible I would say, I see no reason why not. When I get back to animating, this sounds like a quick easy way to get back in the flow

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Board footer