Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#151 01/30/11 13:01

Chamyky
Website

Re: Flatline Alpha

Seriously Gumby, you rock. I remember when multiplayer was a “no, definitely”; which then transitioned to “yes, but in the far, far future”.
And now here you are, with a functional multiplayer, on which you're constantly improving — speed there, stability here, polish there.
That's pretty magical to see. After the initial wait it happened pretty fast actually, it now almost seems normal that it exists.
I haven't been able to test Flatline firsthand as of yet, but hell, the idea itself is enough, and gosh, are those videos cool! This is, after all, the materialization of something most of us hoped for, and never thought would happen. Frankly, that's great.

Thank you.

#152 01/30/11 13:01

Mukade

Yup, still a long way from being "user friendly" There's a good amount of synching to do between the particiapnts, like making sure packages are the same and such, but definately getting work done. Especialy now that he has people to test with smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#153 01/30/11 22:01

Gumby

Yeah, sorry about pushing out the next release so long. I keep finding things that need improved. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#154 01/31/11 02:01

Gumby

First post updated. Syncing is much better now, though there is still room for improvement. smile

#155 01/31/11 02:01

NeverMore

Awesome,Gumby!Thank you very much for your great efforts.

#156 01/31/11 03:01

Gumby

Assuming I get the day off, I'm probably going to plan a test for this evening at around 7 or 8 PST. Fair warning to all. smile

#157 01/31/11 06:01

s10k
Website

Chamyky wrote:

Seriously Gumby, you rock. I remember when multiplayer was a “no, definitely”; which then transitioned to “yes, but in the far, far future”.
And now here you are, with a functional multiplayer, on which you're constantly improving — speed there, stability here, polish there.
That's pretty magical to see. After the initial wait it happened pretty fast actually, it now almost seems normal that it exists.
I haven't been able to test Flatline firsthand as of yet, but hell, the idea itself is enough, and gosh, are those videos cool! This is, after all, the materialization of something most of us hoped for, and never thought would happen. Frankly, that's great.

Thank you.

I second that.

#158 01/31/11 14:01

NMS
Website

Gumby wrote:

Assuming I get the day off, I'm probably going to plan a test for this evening at around 7 or 8 PST. Fair warning to all. smile

I'm available. Is there a particular set of packages that we should all be using?

#159 01/31/11 15:01

Delano762
Website

Had a lil' test with Coyote (host) t'day. MAJOR LAG REDUCTION IS EPIC WIN. It was like 250-300 ms on Counter Strike, duh, maybe less. It was acctually, PLAYABLE. And it was uber fun and now I know, that a Konoko running at you is kinda scary. Let's get to issues:
-I cannot make a mistake in console commands. For example: I want to chat a bit. Command is msg put text here. If I'll accidentaly write ms put text here instead of msg put text here or something like that, I'll get an error. And every next time I try to make ANY command in console, I'll get the error that I got when I made that mistake.
-Shapeshiter doesn't work properly on client's side. I can change the skin but the animations won't change, I can play only with Konoko's animations E.g. Mastur Cheef with Konoko's anims. Works properly on host's side, though.
-I don't remember anything else at the moment (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/1 … eers03.wav)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#160 01/31/11 15:01

Gumby

TO SHAPESHIFT AS A CLIENT:

1. Enter the command bind o to block
2. Press block.

Command issues can't be fixed easily. I don't have them because I'm used to it and automagically work around any issues. >_< In the future I will have a chat prompt instead of using Oni's console. You notice I already put in a console use animation? smile

#161 01/31/11 16:01

NeverMore

Gumby wrote:

TO SHAPESHIFT AS A CLIENT:

1. Enter the command bind o to block
2. Press block.

Command issues can't be fixed easily. I don't have them because I'm used to it and automagically work around any issues. >_< In the future I will have a chat prompt instead of using Oni's console. You notice I already put in a console use animation? smile

Yes,I noticed.It looks good.

#162 02/01/11 03:02

Gumby

vstjv.png
awww%20yeah.jpeg

#163 02/01/11 05:02

Delano762
Website

Is this... COOP?

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#164 02/01/11 08:02

s10k
Website

hehe awesome.

#165 02/01/11 11:02

Gumby

Delano762 wrote:

Is this... COOP?

Well, yes. But I was pointing out the noncrappy name tags.

#166 02/01/11 16:02

Mukade

I lol'd... nice work Gumby. Are you planning on somehow making the black background transparent or keep it as is?

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#167 02/01/11 17:02

Lithium

Idk gumby that picture of the guy is supposed to imply sexism

But good job, Co-op's gonna be awesome, of you're having trouble you know your bro is there to back you up :cool

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#168 02/01/11 17:02

s10k
Website

(delete)

Last edited by s10k (02/01/11 18:02)

#169 02/01/11 19:02

Gumby

Mukade wrote:

I lol'd... nice work Gumby. Are you planning on somehow making the black background transparent or keep it as is?

I want to, but Oni's rendering system is stupid and glitches the nametag if I do. I have a plan though, it will just take a bit of annoying coding, and its low priority.

#170 02/01/11 21:02

Mukade

exactly, I was jw what your intentions were. Nice work smile

#171 02/02/11 03:02

Gumby

Binary updated. Fixed the console animation, fixed the character switching, added the improved nametags.

#172 02/02/11 13:02

NMS
Website

Very nice. And they're color coded by health, interesting.

By the way, for anyone who hasn't thought to do this, you can put bind o to block in your key_config.txt and

func void main(void)
{
    chr_draw_all_characters = 1
    ai2_shownames = 1
    co_display = 0
}

in a text file in GameDataFolder/IGMD/global to avoid having to type them every time.

#173 02/02/11 16:02

Den

May I get a little explanation how this whole bind o to block works?

#174 02/02/11 16:02

Gumby

Sure. Block is a bind, just like forward, attack, left, etc. It isn't used by Oni though, but is still included with the keys. I simply check to see if the user is pressing block and switch characters in that case because nothing else uses it.

...if that makes any sense.

#175 02/02/11 23:02

Mukade

I'm curious, did you make that command only cycle through regular Oni characters?

Board footer