Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#226 05/11/08 23:05

Gumby

Re: Movies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLy9ZCSD5M

I was going to make a video of a few battles in the outer atmospheric level, then ended up doing this. ^_^

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#227 05/12/08 06:05

love_Oni

Wow! It took me 4 hours to read all 10 pages in this topic. After finished reading it, I still got dizzy roll
Nice topic, and nice movies, too smile

Loser wrote:

THIS is a MUST WATCH for every Oni fan ^_^

Can you tell me what all the video means? Because I'm not very good at English, I didn't understand anything at all (Am I too curious?:P)

Last edited by love_Oni (05/12/08 07:05)

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#228 05/12/08 10:05

Gumby

Its jjust showing off some brain reading technology they have. The only reason it relates is that it shows some dude playing Oni with his brain.

#229 05/26/08 01:05

Loser

OK guys,
long time no see, but now Loser is back and so his crazy videos. With BIG thanks to geyser, Ssg, Neo, Alloc and others (for PAR3 descriptions), here comes...THIS ^_^. Watch it and then tell me if you want to have it as part of modified melee system. Or you can try it. Download file in the attachment and import files with OUP. All in RAW/SEP, no DAT changes.
BEWARE: BACKUP first your original files, or you will not be able to cancel this change once you have tried it enough. Also, since this uses original particles for demo purposes, anticipate random effects such as "wall stagger" when you simply tap kick with Konoko and many more. ^_^'
                                                                                                                                                   Loser

P.S.: Tech stuff: Since ONI doesn't detect limbs/wall collision, I had to do this via particles. And since particles, which are attached to body, can't collide with walls, I had to make it via 3 particle system™. ^_^

1st particle is attached to the body. It is constantly emiting 2nd particle in really short intervals.

2nd particle is used to detect wall collision. Since it isn't attached to the body, it can collide with wall and collides ONLY with wall. If it does so, it emits 3rd particle, otherwise it gets deleted after its lifetime. 2nd particle cannot collide with characters, because then it would collide with them all the time, not just when wall is detected (that is why it has to be 3 particle system)

3rd particle is spawned by 2nd only when 2nd collides with wall. 3rd particle can collide with chars and ONLY with chars. When it collides with char, it hurts him, causing no damage but stun. It also creates graphic effect. This particle can be set to do whatever you want to do to character when he collides with wall.

It looks like it is obsolette to do this through 3 particles, but trust me, I have tried lots of easier ways and there is always something that prevents you from wanted effect - collision with wall cause character to react.
Also, it looks like this is heavy on engine. Yes and no ^_^. 2nd particle (wall detection) is spawned each second frame, its lifetime is something around one frame. So in the end there are max 3 particles altogether spawned by this system at one moment (1st attached to the body, 2nd wall detection, 3rd when wall detection is sucessful). 3d partice has same lifetime as 2nd.

Last edited by Loser (05/26/08 02:05)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#230 05/26/08 05:05

paradox-01

The idea is absolute cool! Of course I want it in the melee system.
> anticipate random effects such as "wall stagger" when you simply tap kick with Konoko and many more.
I saw them (for example "stun slides" for females) and hope you can fix them. smile

#231 05/26/08 06:05

coool

OH!it's so funny big_smile

#232 05/26/08 07:05

Pierre

Loser: this is so insanely cool smile

#233 05/26/08 08:05

Tyr
Website

Ownage big_smile

#234 05/26/08 08:05

EdT
Website

The master of particles is back!

#235 05/26/08 09:05

paradox-01

Here you can grab the files in .oni-format.

Last edited by paradox-01 (05/26/08 09:05)

#236 05/26/08 11:05

Gumby

All the cool kids use plugins now >_>

big_smile

Looks cool. So will we be able to throw people against walls to do damage? (eventually?)

#237 05/26/08 11:05

paradox-01

sfx: "trish-trish-trish" (image 1) (image 2) (image 3)

It's just too funny.^_^

(Don't worry loser, it's because of her supershield.)

#238 05/27/08 09:05

Iritscen

Man, you blow me away, Loser.  Must try this out soon.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#239 05/27/08 12:05

s10k
Website

Keep it in the edition.

#240 05/27/08 12:05

Gumby

I have a question: Where are these particles emitted from...?

In your striker example, is it just the head?

Will we have to edit each move to have proper particles?

Last edited by Gumby (05/27/08 12:05)

#241 05/27/08 23:05

Loser

Where are these particles emitted from...?

H2h_dust_e01 is attached to the bone. It moves with the bone, emiting h2h_dust_p01 on its way.
H2h_dust_p01 stands on its own, either it will detect wall and emit one env_rain_p01 or die after its lifetime.
Env_rain_p01 stands on its own. Either it will detect character and hurt him or it will die after its lifetime.

Will we have to edit each move to have proper particles?

Don't worry, man, that will be my job ^_^

No, seriously, what you are playing with is just a test. I will write whole new particles, which will be specialized for hand to wall (h2w) detection, thus they will be a bit lighter on engine.
About "each move": Well, I plan to reedit 7th anniversary melee system (again ^_^), omitting dangerous falling bodies™ (it was a nice idea for knockdowns to hurt, but sadly, ONI can't adapt it as I wanted) but introducing new 3 particle system™. Goal is to prevent moves from going "through wall", to make attacker stagger when he hits wall with some selected attacks (Striker's kick special for example), to make chars which are knockdowned, blownupped or thrown hit the wall instead of half sticking their nose to other room. Plus reedit some attacks and throws a bit. Nice fun for about one month. ^_^
                                                                                                       Loser

P.S.:Take those ™s lightly, it is a joke ^_-

Last edited by Loser (05/27/08 23:05)

#242 05/28/08 08:05

Iritscen

Quick question, h2w = "hand to wall", or "head to wall"?

I actually thought the last version of dangerous falling bodies™ was fine, but it's true that this new project of yours is very very cool, so if this is going to take the place of the other thing, I can't complain.

#243 05/29/08 19:05

Gumby

Ahh. Ok. Sounds fun big_smile

#244 06/04/08 08:06

Iritscen

Um, is anyone else seeing this happen? http://www.drop.io/koncollisionbug/asset/collisionbug

Here's what's in my level0_Final folder: http://www.drop.io/koncollisionbug/asset/level0-final

There's nothing new in the level12_Final folder that Rooftops has its stuff in, so I would think the problem came from the new files I put in level0, which are the ones Loser provided above.  I don't see how this bug came from those four files, but...?

#245 06/04/08 14:06

Barneyhater
Website

Iritscen wrote:

Um, is anyone else seeing this happen? http://www.drop.io/koncollisionbug/asset/collisionbug

Here's what's in my level0_Final folder: http://www.drop.io/koncollisionbug/asset/level0-final

There's nothing new in the level12_Final folder that Rooftops has its stuff in, so I would think the problem came from the new files I put in level0, which are the ones Loser provided above.  I don't see how this bug came from those four files, but...?

what the collision with the sliding and some of the kicking moves? yea that happens 2 me 2.

"It is not hatred but indifference that will destroy us." -Unknown
"One death is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

#246 06/04/08 14:06

Iritscen

How long have you had the problem?  Did you install Loser's wall collision mod before it started?

#247 06/04/08 16:06

Barneyhater
Website

Iritscen wrote:

How long have you had the problem?  Did you install Loser's wall collision mod before it started?

Yes I have. Its a glitch of Loser's wall collision, I dont think its perfect yet. The effect of the intended results are for a character to stagger when hitting the wall. Unfortunately an unintended result for Loser's wall mod is for the body particles to also detect when you hit the floor. I'm not really too sure how it works but from what I understand, the particles right now are emitted from the whole body? To quote Loser:

Loser wrote:

Also, since this uses original particles for demo purposes, anticipate random effects such as "wall stagger" when you simply tap kick with Konoko and many more. ^_^'

Last edited by Barneyhater (06/04/08 16:06)

"It is not hatred but indifference that will destroy us." -Unknown
"One death is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

#248 06/04/08 16:06

Iritscen

Oh, somehow I missed that part.  So he knows about it already.  My bad!

(Although, it's kinda interesting that character's heads impact the floor now when they're knocked down; for an accidental feature, that's kinda cool.  They even bounce off walls when they fall into them.)

#249 06/07/08 14:06

Loser

Hi guys,
first, to get rid of one BIG misinterpretation. That wall collision thingie I gave you all to try is DEMO. Demo made with already-avilable-just-modded particles. It uses original particles, it is meant to show the proof of the concept, not to be playable. HERE you can see how it looks now. Only knockdowns and fallen anims were processed so far.
Comments to video:

1) It is HAND to wall, not HEAD to wall ^_^

2) Only knockdowns and fallen anims are processed so far, throws not. I don't plan to put this feature on EVERY move. Not now, at least. ^_-

3) Yes, killed enemies still half-fall through walls. Sorry, I cannot affect it. But you can see in the video that as long as char is alive h2w system is trying to push him "out of the wall". Looks a bit funny but I think it is useful. Comment this feature if you want.

4) Fight with shielded striker: yes, it the only one but a BIG problem with h2w system. Since blue shield prevents damage AND KNOCKBACK as well (apart from red shield, which is no problem), h2w system doesn't work properly on shielded enemies. Notice that shield is worn out pretty quickly tough. I think I will misuse this bug and explain it in game-world way: Blue shield absorbs any violent broad/deep piercing impacts from outside (thus punches/kicks won't affect it). When shielded char is forced on the wall, shield is eroded as well as if somebody shoots it. Nice explanation of this bug, isn't it? ^_^

5) Sorry but no files. Wait for whole combat system mod. This post was made to stop this talking about "unfinished mod". No. What you are playing is proof of concept. I rely on this system in my new combat system revisit.

6) Due to the blue shield bug I cannot make enemies to be thrown through windows or over fences/ledges. Sorry guys, but when enemy is shielded, animation gots messed up.(I have to modify animation data if I want PAR3 system to make character hover in throw, otherwise character should hover twice as high)

7) Have fun and wait ^_-

Loser

P.S.: Feel free to suggest fairly everything you want to this system. Only don't expect that everything will make it into the game.

#250 06/08/08 13:06

Gumby

Soo...does this mean we can't have both glass shattering and wall collision?

or did i misunderstand?

Board footer