#151 12/27/10 13:12

Lithium

Re: Random Blabber Topic-Current: Caturdays

I wanna Say Japan or somewhere in Asia

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#152 12/27/10 13:12

Sharoduinn

That's what I first thought, but the people seem to be a kind of hybrid between Asians and Americans... hmm
Their eyes (or some of them) are asian looking, but then some look very western. Their skin colour isn't asian at all (or is it?) , and some of the names are English, like Griffin, but then there's Hasegawa and Mukade and so on...

"Sorry about the mess"

#153 12/27/10 14:12

Lithium

Still i want to say Asia though, Oni just seems more asian to me, like the tv broadcast in the Rooftops level. And those ads in the Airport level

#154 12/28/10 08:12

Coyote

Neotokyo? This is where all s-f animes take place big_smile

Does your blood burn when you kill? Mine does

#155 12/28/10 14:12

Lithium

Yeah i had the same thought too. So that's why i thought Japan

#156 12/29/10 00:12

Stevinlewis

Japan? O_O

#157 12/29/10 11:12

adorage

Oni takes place in a future in which nation-states have made way for a single great world republic, possibly even with a unified world language. Griffin could be from former America, with no national and language borders he could simply have taken a job in former Japan. Remaining place names (like the "Fuji wilderness preserve" where Jamie died) from before the world republic was founded are really the only thing to go by... so I'd say Japan too.

Last edited by adorage (12/29/10 11:12)

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#158 12/29/10 11:12

Lithium

Yeah you have good points adorage. Most of it remains japanese with ocasional English names.
Griffin, Thorson, Jamie
So i'm sure i can say most of us say Japan?

#159 12/29/10 16:12

Phydur

Coyote wrote:

Neotokyo? This is where all s-f animes take place big_smile

thats what i was gonna say. lol.

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#160 12/30/10 01:12

Mukade

yeah, I've always thought about it, and really the only hint we have is the fact that it's anime based, and therefore, pretty safe to assume somewhere in Japan -_-

I don't know much about architecture, or if the devs even paid attention to it, but would the buildings give any hint to actual location?

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#161 12/30/10 13:12

Lithium

The only things in the buildings i can relate is to is...sci-fi anime -_-
Just the ads in the airport level give me a japanese vibe. The animals with the oxygen masks and the happy closed eyes

#162 12/30/10 16:12

3llense'g

This topic reminds me of a more interesting question: where does Half-Life (and it's sequel) take place? Everyone is american, but the sequel takes place in eastern-europe. Yet, it has Black Mesa there.

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#163 12/31/10 02:12

Stevinlewis

D: U might get crickets if we get there. Because i dont play Half life and oxe prob doesnt too so..... tongue

#164 12/31/10 13:12

Lithium

Yeah im not familiar with Half-life, idk about the other members
guess we'll wait and see

#165 12/31/10 15:12

Delano762
Website

3llense'g wrote:

This topic reminds me of a more interesting question: where does Half-Life (and it's sequel) take place? Everyone is american, but the sequel takes place in eastern-europe. Yet, it has Black Mesa there.

HL2 is obviously taking place in Russia. There are some signs written in russian language, so it's not hard to guess. And that's not Black Mesa from HL1 (HL1 Black Mesa is in New Mexico, USA) , it's Black Mesa East (East = Russia) - an improvised laboratory (or at least I think so) named after the American one.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#166 01/01/11 01:01

Lithium

HAPPY NEW YEARS OCF big_smile
mandatory small letters here

#167 01/01/11 12:01

3llense'g

Delano762 wrote:

HL2 is obviously taking place in Russia. There are some signs written in russian language, so it's not hard to guess.

Is there a visible difference between russian and ukraine writing? The latter would mean eastern europe (which russia as far as I know is not).

Delano762 wrote:

And that's not Black Mesa from HL1 (HL1 Black Mesa is in New Mexico, USA) , it's Black Mesa East (East = Russia) - an improvised laboratory (or at least I think so) named after the American one.

Oh, I see. But why is the whole New Mexico staff there? big_smile

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#168 01/01/11 15:01

Delano762
Website

I dunno about writing, and about staff I think it had something to do with relocating.

#169 01/01/11 23:01

Lithium

Tctfagentheavyswat.png?t=1293942910
TctfAgentswat.png?t=1293942912

EDIT: TctfAgentswat-1.png?t=1293945795
Idk...what do you think?

Last edited by Lithium (01/02/11 00:01)

#170 01/02/11 00:01

Mukade

Interesting... I can't see those color schemes appearing actual ingame (maybe the first one) but it certainly looks good. Did you just use the photoshop to modify the colors?

Hehe, I know this is me putting out ideas that will most likely never be possible, but it would be interesting if for MP, there were a GUI that would allow you to pick out an avatar, and customize the color scheme, for identification purposes wink
Just puttin' that out there.

I might try a few of my own if I have a spare moment.

Last edited by Mukade (01/02/11 00:01)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#171 01/02/11 01:01

Lithium

Yeah the swat i can't do for the life of me. I tried making the visor more yellow and it wont come out as transparent and the black cap thing above it is impossible for me. I managed to do a Black Ops cop..swat...guy. ill call them swats i guess...and black ops...and heavy swats...and heavy black ops...and stuff
I just did these cuz i wanted to have a black ops and heavy swat portraits 2 years ago.

#172 01/02/11 04:01

demos_kratos

Mukade wrote:

Hehe, I know this is me putting out ideas that will most likely never be possible, but it would be interesting if for MP, there were a GUI that would allow you to pick out an avatar, and customize the color scheme, for identification purposes

Hey, why not. A mighty idea. I also thought about Blizzard-like avatar system. You get some tasty avatars only for completing some achievements. Like you get Muro's face when you win 1000 times for syndicate team.

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#173 01/02/11 11:01

Delano762
Website

oxe161 wrote:

I managed to do a Black Ops cop..swat...guy. ill call them swats i guess...and black ops...and heavy swats...and heavy black ops...and stuff
I just did these cuz i wanted to have a black ops and heavy swat portraits 2 years ago.

They're black ops master chiefs/mastur cheefs

demos_kratos wrote:

Hey, why not. A mighty idea. I also thought about Blizzard-like avatar system. You get some tasty avatars only for completing some achievements. Like you get Muro's face when you win 1000 times for syndicate team.

Hmmm... Sounds interesting.

#174 01/03/11 09:01

Mukade

demos_kratos wrote:
Mukade wrote:

Hehe, I know this is me putting out ideas that will most likely never be possible, but it would be interesting if for MP, there were a GUI that would allow you to pick out an avatar, and customize the color scheme, for identification purposes

Well, I wasn't sure whether or not it would be doable. I like the idea of unlocking new avatars for certain 'achievements' as well as customizing colors. I just wasn't sure if it were doable, unless you were to make it seperate from the game itself...

#175 01/03/11 13:01

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Delano762 wrote:
3llense'g wrote:

HL2 is obviously taking place in Russia. There are some signs written in russian language, so it's not hard to guess. And that's not Black Mesa from HL1 (HL1 Black Mesa is in New Mexico, USA) , it's Black Mesa East (East = Russia) - an improvised laboratory (or at least I think so) named after the American one.

City 17 has the Eastern European look to it because the lead designer is Eastern European. smile

Harry | oni.bungie.org

Board footer