Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/24/07 20:07

Mukade

Funny message on mountain compound (MUST READ!!!)

kk, to find this funny message go to save point 3 on syndicate moutain compund and look on the door of the armoured truck that u drove. There is a message there. If u are smart enough u will find out what it really sais. Laughed out loud when i figured it out!!!

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#2 07/25/07 00:07

Loser

Re: Funny message on mountain compound (MUST READ!!!)

Yes, nice word-play.... ^_^

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#3 07/25/07 06:07

paradox-01

I'm not sure if I got it^^ Is it a word play like "Huge Ass Truckin' Lines". So the man is an idiot, a lazy fat trucker? Maybe it's the same guy who cause the accident you can read about on a green console. And now "he" appear in the "special thanks"-list for making easier infiltrating the Syndicate mountain complex by Konoko. Why I'm thinking that way? At least it seems to be a gag name.
What do you think Mukade?

#4 07/26/07 13:07

geyser
Website

"Hugh Jass" is a very common gag name as paradox pointed out. The Wikipedia page is quite complete. Note the Simpsons' Moe's Tavern episode.

In Oni, the "Hugh Jass Truckin' Lines" label can be seen on both doors of both armored trucks you see: interestingly, in the first and last chapters.

I'm not sure if the Hugh Jass credited in Special Thanks is a 100% gag name as it usually is (i.e. it doesn't correspond to a real-life person or group).
There is a rock band called Hugh Jass (http://www.hughjassrocks.net), and possibly other perfectly real people that chose to go by this gag name.
So maybe the credits and the marking on the trucks refer to someone or something real that more or less directly participated in Oni's development.

Another gag name in Oni is BGI. On the original Oni Central Forum, the developers admitted that it was just standing for Bad Guys International smile

Other easter eggs in Oni include more or less obvious references Myth and Marathon, "Bungie numbers" and names of Bungie employees (three on a poster, two others in terminals, maybe more).

Last edited by geyser (07/26/07 13:07)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 07/26/07 22:07

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Hugh Jass is the codename for a part of the game's internals but also a reference to the person who coded it, Chris Hughes. wink

Harry | oni.bungie.org

Board footer