Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/18/10 10:07

Loser

public tech demo - stun system

In attachment you can download and try out stun grab mechanics, which will be present in yet another "combat system" ( changed per request ). Its purpose is to prevent throw spam, which is otherwise quite bothering yet effective method of fighting.

Since this is tech demo, it works only on FEMALE CHARACTERS !!! And breaks throwing of male chars ^_^. It is just for you all to try it out.

After you apply .oni files form RAR, go find female civillian, female cop of fury. You (player) be one of these, pls. Now try to perform front punch throw. Instead, you will do Stun grab.

With enemy Stun grabbed, you can either run away or finish him by executing throw command again (punch or kick, whatever). This time, you will finish enemy with regular throw of Your selected female class.

Vice versa, in case you are grabbed, you can break out from Stun grab. It however requires pretty sharp reflexes, but cannot be helped, otherwise it would render throwing useless (would be too easy to escape).

As soon as the Stun grab animation starts with you being the victim, mash back + punch! if done correctly, Your avatar will break away from sequence. However, grabber has to finish his animation, so you gain 20 frames advantage. You can counter grab or start combo or escape...choice is yours.

Please post criticism (welcomed), but after deep thinking "Will my criticism be useful?". For example if somebody does not like Stun animations I created, he is more than welcome to create his own and present. I will be only glad, since I have to do males as well ( they will have gut to the knee as Stun grab ). ^_^

Tanbou

Last edited by Loser (07/18/10 13:07)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#2 07/18/10 11:07

Mukade

Re: public tech demo - stun system

Hopefully later we can make seperate animations for all the different throws you can stop big_smile

Would be a lot of work, but it would look cool if each throw has it's own counter animation

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#3 07/18/10 12:07

Loser

Impossible unless some engine modifications are made.

1) New states would be required.

2) Change in ThrowTarget flag behavior would be required.

But I agree it would be awesome; it would even surpass games such as Tekken or Dead or Alive.

Last edited by Loser (07/18/10 12:07)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#4 07/18/10 12:07

Gumby

Don't call it the Flatline combat system please. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 07/18/10 23:07

EdT
Website

I didn't have a lot of time to test, but, in most cases the stun move did not work.  I tested as Konoko, female cop and fury.  Konoko would perform the correct move, however, the AI would not react to it  I tried against Strikers, Thugs, and fury.  The only AI that reacted properly was a female civilian.

#6 07/23/10 03:07

love_Oni

EdT wrote:

I didn't have a lot of time to test, but, in most cases the stun move did not work.  I tested as Konoko, female cop and fury.  Konoko would perform the correct move, however, the AI would not react to it  I tried against Strikers, Thugs, and fury.  The only AI that reacted properly was a female civilian.

Wow, so that is the reason. I also got the same problem but I don't know what causes it. Nice exploit! smile

But since all female civilians are noncombatant, it still doesn't work, because they will play the tremble animation immediately. I think he only way we can make it work is by turning a combatant character into Konoko (or any female character). Here, you can use my script in the attachment (put it in "IMGD/compound" folder after deleting all files in it), load level 14, Save Point 4, turn on the dev mode, type "chr_set_class 4 konoko_generic" and test out the new system. Have fun! smile

You have done a great job, Loser. I like the new system very much, since it makes Oni more competitive and less spammy. I hope you can take your time improving the new system, too. So keep going! big_smile

Last edited by love_Oni (07/23/10 04:07)

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

Board footer