Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/30/10 23:05

Gumby

AE Release! (2010-05)

The newest version of Oni: Anniversary Edition is here!

I would like to personally apologize at how long it took us to release this (10 months!). Real life has been kicking both my and Iritscen's butts. However, we have persevered and through a bit of hard work finished off the work needed to release.

Download links:
Download links removed, see new release thread HERE

Changelog:

• The Installer now supports BSL mods. See the wiki for more information on creation of them

• The Installer now has an update feature. New Edition releases and third party packages. Just place them in the updates\ folder and run the installer

• "Unlock All Moves" mod now gives Comguys a Radio Saber attack.

• "Blurring Dash" mod added. Konoko will leave behind a motion blur trail when dashing. This is both a visual flair and helpful for newer players.

• "SeverED Textures" mod added. This gives many characters new HD textures.

• "Blood Effects" mod added. Successful punches, kicks and bullet wounds will now cause blood to be emitted.

• "Improved Weapons" mod:

- 3D casings for pistols
    - Mercury Bow no longer knocks down
    - Plasma Rifle has a larger hit detection radius
    - Scram Cannon has better rockets and a new secondary fire option

Additional AE Mods:
A few mods are also considered an official part of the AE, but are made available for download separately because of their size. As long as your bandwidth is not very limited, we highly recommend downloading and adding them to your Edition/updates/ directory:
Download links removed, download these packages from within the new Installer.
HD menus and mission screens
HD textures for Chapter 0 - TCTF Training

Installing AE into vanilla Oni (no Edition/ folder in your Oni folder):
PC:
1) Download the .zip file linked to above.
2) Extract the contents of the zip file to your Oni folder.
3) Run the installer from the Edition\install\ folder and follow the instructions it gives.

Mac:
1) Download the .zip file linked to above.
2) Extract the contents of the zip file to your Hard Drive.
3) Open the application "Install the AE", and follow the instructions it provides.

Updating from AE 2009-07:
If you already have the 2009-07 release of the Edition installed, follow the directions for your platform:
Windows: Extract the patch available HERE to Oni\Edition\ (download link removed)
The installer file inside should replace your old one in Oni\Edition\install\. Run the installer there (NOT the one in the updates folder) and it will walk you through the update process.

Mac: Extract the zip available HERE (download link removed) to anywhere, open the application "Install the AE", and follow the instructions it provides.

Last edited by Iritscen (04/04/13 12:04)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#2 05/30/10 23:05

Iritscen

Re: AE Release! (2010-05)

It's been a flurry of last-minute work, so hopefully we didn't forget anything.  Please have patience with us if you find any bugs, and we'll fix them as soon as we can.

Just a word or two on what we were trying to do with this release, and where we're going next.  This release was started shortly after the July 2009 release came out, with the main goal of improving the Installer and fixing some issues that were bugging our modders.  We didn't ever plan on adding much new content to this release, but then again we also thought this release would be done much much sooner than this.

Over time, as we worked in dribs and drabs on the Installer, some new packages showed up and we've incorporated those into this AE, but the main mission here was to basically improve on the "1.0" release on a technical level.  That's why this AE is not full of new content (most of the "new" material here was already released on its own).

Of course, we know that content is king.  You can have all the tools and frameworks in the world, but without people to make content it's not going to energize the community and give new life to Oni, and that's what we all want.  So the AE Team is going to focus its energies on content creation now.  There are still ways to improve the Installer, but those can wait.  The biggest things I can think of that will benefit Oni are adding multiplayer and adding a new level (BGI), so those will probably be our focus for the foreseeable future.  I'm feeling quite hopeful for Oni's "dark" future, and look forward to seeing how the rest of this year develops.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 05/30/10 23:05

Gumby

Iritscen wrote:

thing

That's very zen of you.

#4 05/30/10 23:05

Iritscen

I have no idea what you're talking about  wink

#5 05/31/10 05:05

TOCS

You're so evil! smile I have to practice my exams, so I can't even try it out! Man, I'm gonna rush!

#6 05/31/10 07:05

Nausicaä

I found a bug in the training program, I can't complete it because when I run out of amo,  nothing happens, and even if I cheat with superammo and break all glasses, the robots remain invincible. But the menu is very beautiful, and I enjoy the texturing.
Another thing : robots have blood ^^

#7 05/31/10 07:05

Iritscen

Hmm, what mods do you have installed, Nausicaä?

#8 05/31/10 08:05

Nausicaä

All of them... ^^ And the HD ones.

Edit : I retried it and it worked perfectly. I think I was too hasty last time, I outran the animation.

Last edited by Nausicaä (05/31/10 09:05)

#9 05/31/10 09:05

TOCS

Actually I found this awhile ago, though I don't know what is causing it. In every cutscene, the speeches are being played to fast after each other. It seems that the sleeptime between the sounds in cutscenes has been changed.

#10 05/31/10 09:05

Iritscen

Nausicaä wrote:

Edit : I retried it and it worked perfectly. I think I was too hasty last time, I outran the animation.

Oh, now you tell me, after I ran through the entire Training level to test it tongue

#11 05/31/10 10:05

s10k
Website

wow I though when you talked about the AE installer update new feature it was the program that downloaded the latest version and upgraded itself. tongue

Had tried the updated package but got an exception, that a directory (level_0?) was not empty. I am installing right now the full version.

Last edited by s10k (05/31/10 10:05)

#12 05/31/10 11:05

Iritscen

Script_10k wrote:

wow I though when you talked about the AE installer update new feature it was the program that downloaded the latest version and upgraded itself. tongue

No, but we'd like to do that in a future version of the Installer.  At least this system will make it easier to distribute future Edition releases, even if you still have to place a file manually.

#13 05/31/10 11:05

Gumby

For future reference, if you get an exception while installtion\updating, post it here.

#14 05/31/10 12:05

s10k
Website

Is it possible to have blood when the player falls from a high place?

If so (and if there aren't interest in add it), can someone tell me how to do that?

I also changed the blood color to a more red and darker, I think it fits better. wink

bloodb.png

before was like this:

blood.png

Last edited by s10k (05/31/10 12:05)

#15 05/31/10 14:05

Mukade

Just a note on the scram cannon for people who are going "Why does secondary fire only shoot 1 rocket?" That's what I thought at first, but the trick is to hold the mouse button down, it then repetedly fires 1 rocket at a time. I really like the new Scram cannon smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#16 05/31/10 14:05

TheCreature

Hmmm..... I don't see the new SCRAM.  Or it's not working for me.  Do I need to install it in a seperate mod?

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#17 05/31/10 15:05

Gumby

It is just secondary fire of the old one.

@Script: I was trying to keep the blood splatters subtle. I should probably hold a poll on which people like more.
It would be possible to add blood if falling from a high place, I suppose. You would want to edit the effect that is played when Konoko lands.

#18 05/31/10 16:05

s10k
Website

I will investigate about the falling animation.

About the blood I prefer like that, probably others don't, but we can always do a package so it looks like in my post.

Last edited by s10k (05/31/10 16:05)

#19 05/31/10 17:05

Samer
Website

Iritscen does the patch include the new mods ? or if i want those i just have to install the full one ? ( I can't easily download it and test it cz my connection takes forever, and I don't want to download it twice tongue so full or patch ?)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#20 05/31/10 17:05

Gumby

The patch and the full include the same thing, just in different arrangements. Go get the patch.

#21 05/31/10 17:05

jackoverfull
Website

thanks for this release. smile

Downloading, but I don't know when I'll try it…haven't had time to play in weeks… roll

"To the future, blinkin' an eye to the past!"

#22 05/31/10 18:05

Iritscen

The reason for the patch vs. full release for Windows, and the reason for the pre-installer for the Mac, is that Installer 1.0, which came with the 2009-07 release, did not have a way of handling updates.  In other words, to update to this Edition you would have had to delete your old Edition folder and place the new one there, remembering to save any custom mods you had, as well as your save-game file, etc.

The question was how to get the new Installer, v1.1, into place so that it could smartly install the rest of the Edition as an update.  Gumby and I each had our own solutions to the problem.  Our update system also supports delta patches, i.e., you only include the files a person needs to get from one version to another, but we're not using that here.  All of these downloads include all the AE files (besides the HD mods as explained in the read-me).

#23 05/31/10 18:05

Samer
Website

ok .. after downloading the patch ... i ran the installer as it said ... it said new version available ... it did it's thing reglobalized ... and the updates folder became empty ... however none of the new mods got replaced or added to the install\packages folder ... they just disappeared from the updates folder.

#24 05/31/10 18:05

Mukade

keep all the mods you already have in the packages folder, and add any new ones i the updates i guess... For me, I extracted all things seperately, and replace/merged as needed.

Works great for me, and for the people that arnet seeing some of the changes, be sure to go into the installer check to see if there's any new mods that aren't checked off
Most of the stuff is in packages

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#25 05/31/10 18:05

Samer
Website

ok I added them manually but I think Iritscen intended it to be automatic .

first congratulations on the release ... a lot of new doors open for bsl smile ! I was always discouraged to work with bsl cause it couldn't be made a package easily .. not anymore tongue

second some notes :

there are a few issues I wish u addressed that I &others mentioned earlier :

Examples:
1-Loser's Brutal AI package still makes all AI not use their supers. as mentioned by me and love_Oni before in several threads.
an alternative version by Edt gives a much better result of a Brutal Konoko and Brutal AI who can use their supers.

2-Still there is no easy way to add character classes except by manually telling the installer (user) to go copy them to the globalize folder ...
and none of my custom characters work anymore ... because I used a character variant which got re-globalized and replaced by a new ONVLvariant_list.oni .. it would have been nice of u guys to include the ONVL-variant-list which supports all the characters others and I have made, and not just the old BGI ... it's already ready. http://mods.oni2.net/node/112

3- the new SeverED package is giving me white textures for Konoko's and Shinatama's head except for the Konoko in the blue uniform ... but not Muro or Barabas or the furies .. note : I had SeverED texture package before and it worked fine before the update. SNAG-0037.jpg

also just a side note : The BGI characters package in my opinion should have been removed since they are only space holders as have been mentioned before ... or at least updated to include some of the newer BGI characters ? instead of all those repeated characters in master chief's uniform ( the godzilla one btw is missing the earthquake particle)  ( the new ... Jubei Akane ... Bgi agents ... Black & White Chief ?)

Last edited by Samer (05/31/10 19:05)

Board footer