Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 03/18/10 13:03

Mukade

Re: Mod Suggestions

I thought it might be something like that sad

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#27 03/26/10 09:03

TheCreature

What about a phase cloak with a toggle, so it can be turned on and off?  So if I find a Phase Cloak, but don't want to use it yet, it could pick it up and pause it until I need to be invisible.

Or, in Dream Diver, if you kill the disappearing strikers near the beginning, they drop phase cloaks that last for a long time, but do run out eventually.  Could these be duplicated?

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#28 03/31/10 21:03

Mukade

For the toggle phase cloak, I think that's doable with a little BSL programming, it's late tonight but I may look into it. In fact I've already done a toggle phase cloak, except you don't have to pick it up to use it wink I thought it might add a bit of a stealth element to the game.

As for long lasting phase cloaks, that might not be too difficlt either, just set the time really high i think

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#29 04/01/10 05:04

Samer
Website

in the dream lab the TCTFs at the beginning are given many phase cloaks 999 in the BINACJBOCharacter file and not a single phase cloak with long time

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#30 04/01/10 13:04

Gumby

Samer, that is 999 seconds (or possibly 999 frames...), not 999 phase cloaks.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#31 05/30/10 11:05

TheCreature

Okay, sorry I'm resurrecting an old topic, but I didn't want to start a new one, considering we've already got a bunch titled "mod idea."  Please let me know if I'm just repeating something we've already considered.

I've noticed throughout the discussions that many of us think that stealth is not used enough.  It seems that we've (in the instances I can remember) have been looking for a way to reward stealth.  Well my idea is that we discourage "just charging in."  My idea is this:  Could we add more alarm consoles throughout the levels, and make the consequences of activating them worse?  So instead of just "kill the strikers, get to the end."  We have "Get to the end, but if you're detected, their numbers could double."

Last edited by TheCreature (05/30/10 11:05)

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#32 05/30/10 15:05

myplea1

But for some of us we like to completely beat our way through levels and not have to bother sneaking past everyone.
The console would be difficult enough to place around and I for one would not like to be sneaking around every level.

Maybe only for certain levels like indoor levels where you would expect security.

Awol

#33 05/30/10 15:05

Mukade

That's the beauty of not having to install the mod, no?

#34 05/30/10 15:05

TheCreature

Yeah, you wouldn't want every level to be the same.  Like the Airport levels or TCTF 1.  There wouldn't be any security forces there.  But TCTF 2 would be swarming with security, as would the Science Prison and Mountain Compound.

And even if we did add extra alarm consoles, it wouldn't mean the levels are suddenly impossible without stealth.  It'd help make it more integrated into the game instead of being "just another" feature they threw in with the rest of it.

#35 05/30/10 16:05

Mukade

I dunno, it might be something to take up in the next AE, since that would be a big enough undertaking i beleive. You need to set up routes i think, you need to actually add the consoles to the map physically, make them do what you want, make the effect happen etc...

In fact I was considering that the next AE should focus more on the gameplay itself, stuff like added moves/animations, added throw dynamics (counters, etc..) level changes, more of that practical stuff to keep us playing the game through all the levels and not just off specfic savepoints and scripts

#36 05/30/10 19:05

Paff
Website

Back in the day I did a "stealth run" through the game. My rules were something like "sneak past everyone that can be snuck past, and use stealth to ambush everyone else". I found it to be really effective, although I wasn't too good at fighting back then. I wonder if simply increasing the difficulty and/or modifying some of the AIs' patrol routes/weaponry would encourage stealth enough? It might be easier than setting up more alarm consoles, I dunno.

Also, I don't suppose there's some way to make the AIs spawn in random locations/with random weapons? I remember that it was really exciting before I knew where all the bad guys were, because I had to be really careful going around every corner/through every doorway/etc to make sure I wasn't about to get jumped. If the AIs were in random locations each time you played through, it'd have the same effect, and would be pretty fun I think.

#37 05/30/10 21:05

Mukade

Might be possible, also, I had consdiered making a "distraction" weapon, just haven't gotten around to it smile  Basically shoot it and Ai turn to face where the shot landed

#38 06/01/10 01:06

Paff
Website

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

Also, thinking about it a little more, I realized that part of the problem is that some of the bad guys drop items when you kill them. The biggest problem is hypos I think. If you want to encourage stealth, you want to make it so that fighting people is a bad idea health-wise. So probably if you were to get rid of all the hypos that get dropped by enemies, and limit the number of hypos in each level enough to make it very difficult to get through alive if you actually fight everyone, it'd encourage stealth and avoidance pretty strongly.

#39 06/01/10 02:06

Gumby

That is different from encouraging stealth though. That is forcing stealth.

#40 06/01/10 08:06

TheCreature

I agree with Gumby about taking away dropped items.  And randomizing the AI like you said would probably encourage caution, yes, but I don't see how much more "stealth" it adds.

Actually, all that would really need to happen is to just add more cover around the levels, and stealth becomes much more of an option.  Take Cargo Hangars savepoint 1 for example;  I can sneak through that room and ambush the enemies one by one.

#41 06/01/10 15:06

Paff
Website

Ah, I see. The goal isn't making stealth required, but making it more useful.

Yeah, in that case, might as well leave the dropped powerups. I suppose it could probably be done just by changing the patrol routes/obstacles for cover.

Also, I was unclear: the randomness bit is an idea for a mod by itself, rather than being part of the stealth mod.

Last edited by Paff (06/01/10 15:06)

#42 06/01/10 16:06

Mukade

Just add the option of  stealth, or maybe some way of choosing one or the other and sticking with it

#43 06/02/10 01:06

Gumby

Like the two routes in Airport II?

#44 06/02/10 10:06

TheCreature

That would be cool.  Although I'm guessing it'd take some heavy level editing to open up two routes.  Or could the "two routes" be differently spawned enemies?

Example: Somehow I tell the game I want to stealth by sneaking past a certain guy instead of killing him, and then it spawns the rest of the enemies in positions better suited for stealth, instead of their normal positions.

#45 06/02/10 12:06

Gumby

Except that is very arbitrary. What if I sneak past that guy because I'm low on health at the moment and he doesn't drop any hypos? Then I'm stuck on a path where I'm forced to sneak even though I don't want to.

#46 06/02/10 12:06

TheCreature

Yeah.  Looking back, that wasn't a very good idea.

By the way, you double posted the same comment.

#47 06/02/10 13:06

Gumby

: / Internet sometimes messes up.

#48 06/02/10 22:06

Mukade

It does that to everyone at one point or another... it's not just you

#49 06/06/10 03:06

Phydur

has anyone figured out a way to detect if an object has been destroyed?
I just had this cool idea for a mini-game where you would have to run through the warehouse and destroy as many barrels as you can within a time limit and then get scored on how well you did.
what do you guys think of the idea. of course I realize that its not possible at the moment. but as a concept.

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#50 06/06/10 11:06

Mukade

I think so... I know it's possible, in the XMLs to run some code of your choice under certain set conditions, I don't know if it's the same with objects as it is with characters... but it might

Last edited by Mukade (06/06/10 11:06)

Board footer