Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 21/8/11 22:13

Iritscen
Moderator

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Samer, I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit alone.  There's not much more I can say beyond what's been said.  I also have been too busy to try any mods lately, let alone make them.  All I can do, some weeks, is scan the forum's new posts in order to do my job as a moderator.

What seems to have happened is a combination of life's distractions, and also fragmentation in terms of projects.  Every single person is working on a separate project.  Some of those projects are currently under wraps, which means that there's no evidence that some of us are even doing anything at all.  All I can say is that I expect the situation to change for the better over the course of the year.

Suffice to say, Samer, that you are touching on something that has been weighing heavily on my mind for a while.  It pains me too that the community seems to be floundering about at the moment.  This was certainly the appropriate thread to post in.  I just can't say more right now about Oni's [?dark] future, for multiple reasons.  Hopefully in the next month, the time will be right.


byproducts are fine, but where's the beef?

Offline

#52 21/8/11 23:30

Mukade
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Just picture the forum like the stock market.


"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Offline

#53 22/8/11 5:50

Dirk Gently
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Good things come to those that wait.

Offline

#54 22/8/11 8:40

Samer
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Iritscen got what i meant the most..
I was just thinking that it's summer the time where we should have seen the most mods.
Not trying to be pushy, but i'd hate to see us lose motivation, that's all.


Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

Offline

#55 22/8/11 9:34

Bozzman
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Iritscen wrote:

Some of those projects are currently under wraps, which means that there's no evidence that some of us are even doing anything at all.

True that, Ive had a few things that I've been working on that I haven't posted about.
Such as Weapon Textures - http://i.imgur.com/gZE7X.jpg

But yeah I can feel the lull that this place has had for a bit. But I'm sure we've got plenty of motivation to put out, the question is when!


Here take this hypo!

Offline

#56 22/8/11 11:45

RomaBox
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Hey Samer, i registered here to tell you that your work guys is really needed and its really good!
I haven't told you before just because I wasn't registered. Now I want you to know that i LOVE your new characters, Samer, I LOVE your new levels, EdT, and I love almost all the mods you all've done, Iritscen, Delano, Mukade, Lukas, all all of you (sry I can't mention everyone)). And I know a lot of people who use them but don't want to register just to say thank you. I'm just a regular player, everything I know about modding comes from your tutorials. The only thing I can do now is drawing some sketches, but you have DarkLitria for this. So, now I'm trying to do different things, and when I understand what I do best, I probably could help you with it. Till then I can just tell some words about new stuff, test it (if you need it) and report bugs and ask other people to do the same.
I know,

Samer wrote:

it gets frustrating when one works and no one seems to even try the mod :\

but please, don't stop just because some users are sparing of words, your work is awesome; I think I can mention it here: I liked your Skull Team very much, the only thing is I don't know how to make them regenerate (when they should do it, maybe you could show me if someone's asked this already, sorry). Nothing crashed when using RegTanker as others say.
Ok, I'm new here, I didn't want to sound agressive or anything, please don't get it wrong smile

Offline

#57 22/8/11 12:11

Dirk Gently
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

That was awesome.


Samer, after a while you reach a point where you say "what am i doing this for?" and you watch the people come out of the woodwork and talk about how much they enjoy what you do. Never forget that the download counters are not just us downloading your mods over and over again, it is everyone that doesn't post that drives this community. In some ways moreso than those that actually make the content. Making content is great, but it is pointless if nobody wants to use it.

*side note*
@everyone: I know i should be better about playing the content you all post. These past few months i have been working have been a struggle and i have a few personal projects i cannot get into that i have been working on. Granted i dont have the time to test mods often, those i do align with what i am working on so it is mutually beneficial to test some mods over others. While that is hardly fair, please feel free to ping me on yim/aim/irc/twitter/email and i can give feedback on what i think of skins or models if i am unable to test them out myself.

As i said, there is only awesome stuff yet to come, just be patient. smile

Offline

#58 22/8/11 12:14

Lukas Kreator
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Oh, finally my name was mentioned side by side of legendary people smile
Still, I am nothing compared to the older members... But I keep trying to get better and better.

Thanks a lot, RomaBox, and I hope the community can still grow for many years.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (22/8/11 12:15)

Offline

#59 22/8/11 15:51

Mukade
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Lukas Kreator wrote:

Oh, finally my name was mentioned side by side of legendary people smile

I'm legendary?? cool

Anyways, thanks alot Roma, I think your cpmpliments mean more than you know. I feel like there should have been some epic inspirational speech music to your post x)


"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Offline

#60 22/8/11 16:25

Samer
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

RomaBox thank u so much for what u said smile I kinda needed that smile and welcome to the forum as an official member big_smile

about the skull team, well if u are playing as them u can't make them regenerate unfortunately, if they are controlled by the game u have to edit the level file called BINACJBOCharacter.oni as xml (of the level u want them in) add them to it by replacing an existing character, and then in that file also set their combat ID to 9 which is Barabas's combat ID ..

I am going to release a package that allows u to fight them (and they'll use their regeneration), soon smile
looking forward to more comments and feedback from u smile

@ Dirk thanks and I agree ^_^


Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

Offline

#61 22/8/11 16:50

Delano762
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Mukade wrote:

I feel like there should have been some epic inspirational speech music to your post x)

Yeah.
And thanks Roma big_smile

Offline

#62 23/8/11 0:57

Gumby
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

I'm trying to fix my life up and I've been working on other things. I'm "retired". tongue I still do some behind the scenes stuff though. Most of my coding work is on hold until some sort of agreement can be worked on with T2 (maybe never). Until then I'm working on other projects and gathering connections in the gaming world. Hopefully I'll have something fun to post here in a few weeks.

I do miss some of the older members though. Andrashi\Loser, Your_Mom, geyser, 17 Seconds, guido, ItemfinderDeluxe, onirules, SectorZ, rossy, Tantir, just to name some I grabbed off the member list. smile A few of them still post, but not regularly anymore. If only we had the "modding revolution" a few years earlier, we might not be in this situation. There was a time when I thought the forum was dying...and a time when I wanted to tear my hair out because of the young age of many of the new posters. smile New posters eventually learn the ropes though, so the community still has hope. smile


Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Offline

#63 23/8/11 2:51

Mukade
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Gumby wrote:

I still do some behind the scenes stuff though. Most of my coding work is on hold until some sort of agreement can be worked on with T2 (maybe never).

Including Flatline? I mean hey, no pressure, jw. And does T2 have beef with you right now? Or is it just precautionary?


"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Offline

#64 23/8/11 5:26

Dirk Gently
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Just precautionary stuff right now.

Offline

#65 23/8/11 11:39

Gumby
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Mukade wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I still do some behind the scenes stuff though. Most of my coding work is on hold until some sort of agreement can be worked on with T2 (maybe never).

Including Flatline? I mean hey, no pressure, jw. And does T2 have beef with you right now? Or is it just precautionary?

Especially Flatline. tongue T2 has no beef with me, I just want to make sure any work I do isn't going to be wasted.


Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Offline

#66 24/8/11 4:47

Satyr
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

So, is this place still alive or what?

I must admit: I've been very passive here for the last year. But I still am very enthousiastic when it comes to Oni. And I know you people are too! Otherwise we wouldn't be posting here, some 10 years after the game came out.

The thing that would really get a lot of people here, and would get a lot of people willing to work is to be able to show something: "look, WE made this! We can do this stuff!". It would get the community some new spirit, and a lot of new people would join. I think.

Well, I know I'm being a bit 'demanding' (if that's the right word), and I realize everyone's got things to do on their own.. But still, this community is just too good to let it just water away! Look at the awesome things that are already accomplished!

Anyway, those are just my two cents. smile

Offline

#67 24/8/11 4:49

Mukade
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

No, we're perfectly alive, just in a sort of pseudo-hibernation. Or in a decline, like the stock market. And the problem isn't people not wanting to join the forum, it's just that so few people know about the game, and even fewer know about the community, and fewer still actually join and become active members tongue


"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Offline

#68 24/8/11 4:56

Satyr
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Mm. Yeah, true. Not enough people know this game. And when you look at the recent trends in gaming, I don't think a lot of people would still be interested in this.

Since the game isn't free, it's very hard to get people to play it too. And it isn't one of those games you regularly find in one of those sales-bins at the store. I lost the game some years ago, and only after about 5 years did I find it in an actual store for 3 bucks!

It's good to hear the community is still there though! big_smile

Offline

#69 24/8/11 5:35

Mukade
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

I don't think people wouldn't enjoy it, they just don't KNOW about it. And like you said, they're not likely to, because it's very under the radar, and very hard to find by accident.


"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Offline

#70 24/8/11 5:46

Dirk Gently
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

there is actually a surprising number of people that are aware of the game and still play it, they just don't know about the mod community.

Offline

#71 4/9/11 14:09

Seventeen Seconds
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Iritscen, given that you feel that Oni's stock is at a low in the gaming world's collective consciousness, wouldn't this be the ideal time to feel out (via someone with industry connections -- hint hint Feral Interactive) for what price we could purchase the IP from Take 2?  The point of this would be to establish an indy studio and develop a proper sequel, with a supporting business plan detailing funding, timelines, and experience needed to counteract typical startup mistakes.  I've been desiring to start my own business and this is an opportunity I'd jump at and enjoy. 

Oni's IP was originally valued at 2.8 million, if you guys have the right number on the Oni wiki.  That's not impossible to front at all, though we'd have to consider development and distribution costs and produce a legit business plan to find financial backing.  Recouping development costs off a full-price IP would be very ambitious, though maybe we could scale it against Fallout (IP sold for $5.75 million) to get a rough idea of what it should be. 

There is a lot to talk about, business-wise (target market, realistic sales projections, friction in development), but Oni *is* a recognizable property and has aged well rather than poorly.  The IP has credibility.  It is not a great risk for investors -- that's what MW2 and GTA are for -- but it's a real dark horse opportunity for an ambitious niche studio trying to make and ambitious niche game (think S.T.A.L.K.E.R.).  I'd be seriously interested in giving this a shot -- sourcing capital is an obstacle which can be overcome, but it hinges on having a team which projects confidence and results.

The key obstacle is Take 2's willingness to sell / license the IP (and at what price).  That needs to be addressed before everything else.

Offline

#72 4/9/11 14:28

Iritscen
Moderator

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Well, I've considered some of what you suggest, but it's rather ambitious, as you said.  If we can catch each other online, we can talk about it more.

For now I'll just say that the reason for making this thread was basically to try to motivate the community to do what they can for the IP.  If someone's going to make a new Oni, that will be the long-term product of a small group, whereas the more immediate (and attainable) goal is for each of us to just keep working on the current Oni.  After all, our modding abilities have gotten to the point where we can do almost anything in the game.  I could argue that we have to do a lot more to prove ourselves with Oni 1 before we start down the road of trying to make an Oni 2.


byproducts are fine, but where's the beef?

Offline

#73 4/9/11 14:29

Dirk Gently
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

The price T2 is asking is too high for feral as they have no vested interest in it as a company and unless someone just came into a LOT of money, it is out of an individual price range to buy on whim without a serious investment.

Offline

#74 4/9/11 14:32

LegoJesus
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

Hello dear Oni community!

First off, I would just like you to know that I am a huge oni fan from the day it came out.
I signed up just to let you guys know that I love your work, each and every one of your mods/characters/levels, each script and each new graphics.
I do believe I have tried them all, and I have been around this forum for quite a while but never registered (Im so damn lazy).

It is important to me that you would know, I feel exactly like what RomaBox wrote.
I am sure that there are many others like me who just wonder around here but never register.
There is a reason why this game is still alive after 10 freaking years - BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME!
And you just make it even better with every contribution you make. I really appreciate every little think you created for us, the fans.

Unfortunately, most of us fans are unable to contribute as you do, due to lack of knowledge, experience or even time. Once in a while
there's a new face on the block who wants to learn and try to create something new, but it happens way more seldom than we need.

Anyways, I know how much it means when someone appreciate your hard work, and trust me, you can look at all the download counters, the views
here in the forum, there are A LOT of people who are enjoying this game better because of you.
Well done my friends.
I really do think you guys are amazing for doing this for so long, and damn it, if I get rich at some point, I am definitely going to invest in Oni 2! smile

Don't give up, and don't let life kill your hobbies.
There are tens of thousands of people that are enjoying your work, and admire your nicknames, without you even knowing it.
I do hope that more people like RomaBox and me will sign up just to write you that we are here, and we love your work, and we want this community alive!

Long live Oni!
And that freaking multiplayer big_smile

Cheers mates,
LegoJesus.

Last edited by LegoJesus (4/9/11 14:37)

Offline

#75 4/9/11 15:00

Mukade
Member

Re: To the community: Oni's "dark future"?

LegoJesus wrote:

if I get rich at some point, I am definitely going to invest in Oni 2

I'm so gonna beat you to it -_-

Anyways, the entire Oni community appreciates the time you took to come out and compliment our work. We'll keep it coming.


"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB