Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 08/29/07 17:08

Ultimatum479

Re: Vampire Mod

Suggested improvement: many, MANY more enemies. tongue I had to add about 6 to make it work. The way it's currently set up, if your only contribution is to lure Barabas (and his infuriating Earthquaker) away from the others your friends can _still_ win all on their own. But that's a minor detail. Other than that, it works nicely.

Work in progress...

#27 08/30/07 04:08

geyser
Website

I didn't do the TCTF HQ port. Did you try the one in RSB with Mukade?
The problem you mention was highlighted on YT by the porter, EdT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6I8YUM-Lo

Many more enemies would mean much more lag on certain systems...
Nvidia cards can'd handle over 32 chars, but flashes make it lag before.

You're totally welcome to come back to us with actual improvements.
Just upload the modified script somewhere, or post the changes here.

My idea of an improvement is to improve the bosses' behaviour.
They should do more specials when your team is winning.
Either when they're nearly alone or low on health.
It's easy to add, but I never got around to it.

BTW, if you had no trouble to add enemies, consider further porting that thing to other rooms and levels. Same for OTA.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#28 08/30/07 12:08

Ultimatum479

Actually, I'd never looked at the scripting language for Oni until I downloaded this mod (even after I'd downloaded OTA; I'm lazy like that) and decided I wanted to add more enemies. Still, it's easy enough to get the basics, I think. I'll try to port this and OTA to other levels when I get some time next weekend, then. I'll see if I can even add a way to adjust the amount of enemies in-game for those who don't wanna edit the data files; I've got a few theories on the matter.

Doing more specials is probably fine with Mukade (gonna test the RSB one now), but it's just ridiculous with Barabas. His Earthquaker is stupidly broken; you can spam it infinitely and no one can do anything. It needs to be avoidable by jumping, and/or he needs to be vulnerable on his way up, and/or it should be blockable while crouching..._something_...Before anything else, I'm gonna look into fixing that.

Oh, and I'm aware of that YT video; that's actually how I found the mod in the first place. tongue

EDIT: Tried RSB. Easier yet, since there's no Earthquaker annoyance. Actually, I think that's a bad place for the arena, because the enemies keep getting stuck under the stairs and their AI can't handle getting out very well, leaving them easy targets. To keep Mukade in, I'm gonna port it to Rooftops.

Double edit: Just realized why the TCTF one glitched up on me every few times I played it...Maybe I shouldn't be porting this after all; I forget about the little things. ^_^ I still have your lil' "IFF" thing going, so it tries to give me more cells than I can hold, since I increased the number of enemies. For some reason, that only seems to crash it some times, not every time. Anyway, turned that counter off, and if I make an in-game mechanism to set the number of troops that spawn, I guess I'll also have to figure out a way to activate it only when there aren't too many people for it to work consistently.

Last edited by Ultimatum479 (08/30/07 13:08)

Work in progress...

#29 08/30/07 15:08

EdT
Website

Ultimatum479: I'm glad there is another Mac user that can script.  If you can improve or add features to the scripts please do so.
How are you with hexediting and programming?  There is also an ongoing effort to improve the binaries of the game.

#30 08/30/07 17:08

Ultimatum479

Never done any of it, but I'd never done the scripts before now either. I can catch on pretty quickly, if I have the time. I won't, unfortunately, for a couple weeks at least -- I've been sick for the past few days, so I'm gonna have a lot of school work to make up -- but afterwards, I'll work on that. I thought that the new binaries had already been created, though (in fact, I've downloaded 'em); are they still a work in progress?

Work in progress...

#31 08/30/07 21:08

EdT
Website

The binary improvements are work in progress, which ones did you download?

I also did not know anything about hexediting, but been slowly learning more about it.

#32 08/31/07 09:08

geyser
Website

@ Ultimatum: Newcomers should beware of false assurance: "Just realized why the TCTF one glitched up on me every few times I played it" etc... Are you sure you know why? smile
The kill-o-meter can not be responsible for the crash. Characters can have any number or cells, ammos and hypos between 0 and 65535, it's just picking them up that's disabled.
The crash is probably due to the pathfinding grid cache overflow discussed here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=103  so I suggest you check it out...

About the ingame selection of the lineup: as you've noted, the balance is tricky, and it's best for the modder to set up one or two enjoyable schemes for the player to pick from.
In addition to those setups, balance can always be fine-tuned by shapeshifting the characters to "harder" ones, even if the melee skills are actually retained from spawn-time.
I wouldn't let the player select the lineup ingame (it would make the arena startup less straightforward), let alone alter it while the arena is running. Not that it's impossible.
It would just mean a lot of extra function calls for the BSL engine, which for the time being doesn't empty the stack at all, causing an overflow after a fixed number of calls.

So I'd limit myself to a few hard-scripted preferences, and I'd have the user select between different lineups by loading one savepoint or another. 10 SPs per level is plenty.

The problem with improving binaries is that any systematic effort takes time. Another, more fundamental problem, is that binary content archives differ across Oni versions.
I can release the same binary patch for every Oni version that I have, but I'd have to reauthor the patch for every version, which is time-consuming and plain awkward.
Tosh and I might try to (re)create a universal data browser/patcher with wxWidgets, even if it would mean less double work to use OUP's proven data-handling system.

Last edited by geyser (11/10/07 12:11)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#33 09/01/07 01:09

Ultimatum479

I know characters normally can have any number of cells if they just _have_ 'em, but I think it's specifically when your script tells the cells to blink that the game seems to crash if I have too many. Gonna play around with that and see if that's really the case.

Work in progress...

#34 12/01/07 14:12

s10k
Website

I will do some ports to others levels when I am in holidays. wink

#35 05/26/08 06:05

pr1me

I don't understand how to install this. The readme is so short and it doesn't explain anything. I've put the state/vampire_main in the "C:\Program Files\Oni\GameDataFolder\IGMD\state" folder. Is that OK? How do I "bite" somebody to make him an ally?

#36 05/26/08 08:05

Barneyhater
Website

pr1me wrote:

I don't understand how to install this. The readme is so short and it doesn't explain anything. I've put the state/vampire_main in the "C:\Program Files\Oni\GameDataFolder\IGMD\state" folder. Is that OK? How do I "bite" somebody to make him an ally?

Ok you put all the files in the "state" folder. Then you take out all of the original state files. And in the game, to bite someone, you kill them. Then they spawn on your team. Have fun!

"It is not hatred but indifference that will destroy us." -Unknown
"One death is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

#37 05/26/08 11:05

pr1me

They just die, nothing happens. Do I need to start a new game? Does it matter which version of Oni im using? Do I need to play the State level or can I play all levels? Thanks!

#38 05/26/08 11:05

Barneyhater
Website

pr1me wrote:

They just die, nothing happens. Do I need to start a new game? Does it matter which version of Oni im using? Do I need to play the State level or can I play all levels? Thanks!

Are u sure u took out the original state files? They should spawn on your spawning side. You dont need to start a new game if u won or lost. I dont think oni version matters. And u can only play on state version. If it still doesnt work try geysers renegade version. That shud work. And I just sliced part of my thumb so typing is hard sry if u cant understand somthin

#39 05/26/08 13:05

pr1me

Barneyhater wrote:
pr1me wrote:

Are u sure u took out the original state files? They should spawn on your spawning side. You dont need to start a new game if u won or lost. I dont think oni version matters. And u can only play on state version. If it still doesnt work try geysers renegade version. That shud work. And I just sliced part of my thumb so typing is hard sry if u cant understand somthin

What do you mean by that? What are the "original state files"? How do I get geysers renegade and how do I install it? How do I get to the state level since i'm not there. I'm only at level 3 and I don't want to do the others. I can't seem to find any savegame files and can't find the savegame editor.

EDIT: I got it to work, I downloaded a persist.dat from filefront and loaded state. But it was only one area, and I was bored pretty soon. It's a nice idea. But what about doing this for the entire campaing? So lets say you kill the dude on level1 and he follows you all the time.

Last edited by pr1me (05/26/08 14:05)

#40 05/26/08 16:05

Gumby

You want a way to save how many enemies you have bitten or who is currently on your side?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#41 05/26/08 17:05

Barneyhater
Website

pr1me wrote:
Barneyhater wrote:
pr1me wrote:

What do you mean by that? What are the "original state files"? How do I get geysers renegade and how do I install it? How do I get to the state level since i'm not there. I'm only at level 3 and I don't want to do the others. I can't seem to find any savegame files and can't find the savegame editor.

EDIT: I got it to work, I downloaded a persist.dat from filefront and loaded state. But it was only one area, and I was bored pretty soon. It's a nice idea. But what about doing this for the entire campaing? So lets say you kill the dude on level1 and he follows you all the time.

To tell you the truth Im not the one to answer your question. Its a good idea but Im not sure they have found a way for that to carry over. If your bored look at EdT's renegade script http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/a … hp?item=68 (It goes in the TCTF folder dont forget to take out old files) there or you can try out some OTA scripts http://wiki.oni2.net/OTA  (scroll to the bottom).

Last edited by Barneyhater (05/26/08 18:05)

#42 05/26/08 20:05

Gumby

I can recode it a little if you tell me what exactly you need me to do...

#43 05/26/08 21:05

Barneyhater
Website

Gumby wrote:

I can recode it a little if you tell me what exactly you need me to do...

I think he means he wants to play through the whole original level but with vampire mod on. And when he kills someone in that level, he wants those characters to carry on as allies to the next level. (I think) Its a good idea but wouldnt that take a lot of binary work with adding more characters?

#44 05/26/08 23:05

Gumby

Oh. Yuck. Umm. No. >_>

Even doing it with origional level logic wouldn't be fun. And doing it with multiple levels is...nearly impossible. I don't know of any way to carry things over through multiple levels.

#45 05/27/08 08:05

pr1me

Nothing is impossible, but is it worth the effort? Probobly not. Thanks for all the help smile

#46 05/27/08 12:05

s10k
Website

Gumby wrote:

Oh. Yuck. Umm. No. >_>

Even doing it with origional level logic wouldn't be fun. And doing it with multiple levels is...nearly impossible. I don't know of any way to carry things over through multiple levels.

It can be did for 1 level just with scripting but how you said that wouln't be fun. And with multiple levels is impossivel via just scripting.

#47 05/27/08 12:05

Gumby

Hah. Removing Barabus's Earthquaker goes a long way toward establishing balance.

Actually, with it gone, this is really fun.  It shows how a small difference in numbers can change the outcome of a battle. It is very dynamic.

#48 05/27/08 13:05

Iritscen

As annoying as that move is, I think I'd miss it if Barabus couldn't do it.  I do wish that he wasn't invincible while performing it, though.  If you could interrupt it while he was in mid-air, I would be a lot happier.  I used to always try that, and was surprised that it didn't work.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#49 05/27/08 14:05

Gumby

Well...maybe we can talk someone in to modifying Barabas a bit to fix it big_smile I would do it myself....but this computer has issues with Onisplit.

Right now he just does an elite roll. It isn't the worse thing in the world.

#50 05/30/08 16:05

Phydur

hey, which one of these scripts should i download? which one is the most current?

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

Board footer