Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 12/04/09 12:12

T_W_D

Re: Super powers and abilities - added momentum?

People watch too many clichée-ridden vampire movies about how horrible it is to be forever young, beautiful, magical and able to fly

Folkloric vampires are ugly walking corpses btw. Like in "Nosferatu". smile

It's not being forever young, beautiful and magical that's horrible, it's the price of it that's horrible. Besides, it really upsets the order - the order of everyday life. Normally, people wouldn't want a load of supernatural problems, even if it goes with an ability to fly.

Last edited by T_W_D (12/04/09 12:12)

Fanfiction should be viewed as a property damage.

#27 12/04/09 13:12

3llense'g

northero wrote:

I read once didn't understand twice still didn't get it only at the third time =X wad he meant was because air particles couldn't move even if u touch it, it would be pretty painful if u go towards it with force(walking)

My theory is that if you literally stop time (not very slow, stopped) you move at infinite speed. And just blinking would burn you to a cinder because of friction.

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#28 12/04/09 14:12

TOCS

I would diffinitely also go with immortality, if you're able to decline it when the our universe explodes.

#29 12/04/09 14:12

adorage

T_W_D wrote:

People watch too many clichée-ridden vampire movies about how horrible it is to be forever young, beautiful, magical and able to fly

Folkloric vampires are ugly walking corpses btw. Like in "Nosferatu". smile

I know, I was referring to movies like "Interview with the vampire" that do nothing but glamorise being a vampire for 2 hours and in the end, a vampire talks about how horrible it is to be one of them.

T_W_D wrote:

It's not being forever young, beautiful and magical that's horrible, it's the price of it that's horrible. Besides, it really upsets the order - the order of everyday life. Normally, people wouldn't want a load of supernatural problems, even if it goes with an ability to fly.

But what exactly is the price of it? Yes it upsets the order of everyday life but is that really such a bad thing? As I see it, you trade one set of problems for another.

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#30 12/04/09 16:12

T_W_D

Yes it upsets the order of everyday life but is that really such a bad thing?

Yes, if a person likes his everyday life. You can't go out during the day, you have to drink human blood, to shy away from religious symbols (imagine a believer in such a situation). The whole vampire romantization, generally, is a form of escapism.

#31 12/04/09 17:12

adorage

T_W_D wrote:

Yes it upsets the order of everyday life but is that really such a bad thing?

Yes, if a person likes his everyday life. You can't go out during the day, you have to drink human blood, to shy away from religious symbols (imagine a believer in such a situation). The whole vampire romantization, generally, is a form of escapism.

Oh, I didn't realise you were talking about vampires specifically. I thought you were referring to immortality to general. Still, the if in the first sentence is a big one. I wonder if vampires have chronic S.A.D....

#32 12/04/09 18:12

Dirk Gently
Website

being a vampire would be cool.

#33 12/04/09 18:12

Necro Skeletal

T_W_D wrote:

So would that be your super power?  Dead rich uncle?

An Endless Shopping ability. big_smile

Hahaha...  I do have to say that I agree with many things you said earlier, like how earning something makes it more valuable to you.

And since we're talking about vampires... where does the folklore really originate from?  My initial impression was that vampires in folklore were referring to the kind of people you meet that seem really nice but end up draining you of your time and energy by creating problems for attention and out of self pity.

C:\duh

#34 12/04/09 18:12

Iritscen

Necro Skeletal wrote:

And since we're talking about vampires... where does the folklore really originate from?  My initial impression was that vampires in folklore were referring to the kind of people you meet that seem really nice but end up draining you of your time and energy by creating problems for attention and out of self pity.

Heh, that's what Anton LaVey says vampires are.

They're probably a combination of ancient superstition and less-ancient fears about The Black Plague.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#35 12/04/09 20:12

adorage

Iritscen wrote:
Necro Skeletal wrote:

Heh, that's what Anton LaVey says vampires are.

lol, I remember reading that when I was 15. Alas, it took me years to begin to put his advice on that particular topic into practice ^^

#36 12/04/09 21:12

Iritscen

Heh, interesting avatar, adorage.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#37 12/05/09 10:12

adorage

You mean nice old Mrs. Kerr here? Yeah, I wonder why she's wearing a tie but I guess she's a bit emo.

#38 12/05/09 13:12

Necro Skeletal

*Repeat edit of first post*
So we've all talked about super powers and abilities we'd like to have.  What interesting and/or cool things do you actually do?  Are you ambidextrous, double jointed, play an instrument or do gymnastics?  Let's talk about some accomplishments!

I can play piano, and I've beaten Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox) on Master Ninja mode.  I skipped 5th grade too.  But my biggest accomplishment in the past few years is that I became self aware.  It's really fun owning your own mind!   smile

#39 12/05/09 14:12

myplea1

LoL another thing about time travel is this, when you travel in time you yourself are not moving from a different place; only through time and then lets say I went 3 days into the future I would appear in the exact same place except that that place would be in space and I would be dead. Since the earth goes around and around it moves so the earth would kept moving on without you.

Awol

#40 12/05/09 14:12

Leus
Website

Yeah plus everything in the universe is moving at such a ridiculous rate that if you ever really stayed in the same place for like 2 nano seconds you'd definitely die in one way or another.  Maybe Earth's gravity affects time too?

Lol I dunno what I'm talkin' about.  Nice sig, though, Simon.  We're gonna have the full lyrics soon.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#41 12/05/09 15:12

T_W_D

What interesting and/or cool things do you actually do?

I win at powerlifting championships, pass exams without knowing a thing, draw, write poems, stories and a book (in progress).  But besides the list of "good things I can say about myself" I actually have a super-power (or rather a curse) of Spending All Wages In Five Minutes.

Also I can hear ultrasound, though it's more annoying than cool. Lots of devices use ultrasound, and the peep perforates my head.

#42 12/05/09 15:12

myplea1

Interesting, I'm just kinda color blind and ampidexterous.

Awol

#43 12/05/09 16:12

3llense'g

I can play a few instruments on a basic level. I could learn a few languages (but I don't have the time). And best of all: I can snap all my fingers. tongue

edit: I jumped on the bandwagon. Shame on me.

Last edited by 3llense'g (12/05/09 16:12)

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#44 12/05/09 16:12

Dirk Gently
Website

I am photosensitive to a degree. I have a talent for understanding written languages, but for the life of me I cannot speak or write them. To my great advantage I have a very logical thought process which helps when programming.

#45 12/06/09 14:12

Necro Skeletal

WOW everyone's cool >_<
Heard the term before, but what is ultrasound?
And I think I know what it is, but what is being photosensitive?

#46 12/06/09 16:12

Dirk Gently
Website

Necro Skeletal wrote:

WOW everyone's cool >_<
Heard the term before, but what is ultrasound?
And I think I know what it is, but what is being photosensitive?

Mainly it is a pain in the ass. It is not that bad, I can go out in board daylight and stuff, but my eyes have a hard type adjusting to very bright light and I am often left squinting. Photosensitive is just that, being sensitive to light. Like I said, I have a pretty mild case and being in the sun or any sort of light does not affect me physically.

#47 12/06/09 16:12

Gumby

Aww, you don't start sparkling?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#48 12/07/09 05:12

T_W_D

what is ultrasound?

Some kinda very high sound. People generally can't hear it, only animals can (dogs, bats).

#49 12/07/09 17:12

Dirk Gently
Website

Gumby wrote:

Aww, you don't start sparkling?

uuhh... no?

EDIT: I should have said just my eyes where photosensitive.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (12/07/09 17:12)

#50 12/08/09 06:12

Ire Yosuke
Website

I don't know if it's a superpower but I'd like to turn into an Iron golem based on DnD 3.5.
Why?
It's big, strong, invurable to all magic, mind effect spells, no sleeping, eating, breathing and plenty more!
Also it's physicaly almost invunerable, well unless you have an adamantine blade.
I'd like that and I even wrote a lil story about it :
http://winterghost.webs.com/ironblood.htm

Goodies!

"There are two things that cannot be ignored in life. One is a cannon, the other, a cannon ball." - Commander Patrick "Bombard" Bomba

Board footer