Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 11/24/09 15:11

Necro Skeletal

Where do I start? More stealth action in Oni.

I really wanna add some new stealth features to Oni, very similar to Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, such as flattening against walls, upright sneaking, corner peaking, corner shooting, and hostage holds (grabbing from behind and using a gun at the same time while using the enemy as a shield) and allowing your enemies to do the same since some of them try to sneak anyways.  What does this entail?  I know it doesn't happen over night, and I only know a small fraction of programming.  I bought a teach yourself C++ book that I need to read through, and I made one mod for Oblivion using the "TES Construction set" that consisted of retexturing and modifying the values of an existing 3-Dimensonal item, and placing it in the game (it works great by the way!).  So besides teaching myself C++, is there something else I should look at to help me make this happen?  Like C# visual? 
I figure that for wall flattening, I'd have to figure out numerically the distance between Konoko and the wall, and at what point she should flatten against it and corner peek, but then I'd have to write and animate the action of wall flattening and corner peeking - both of which I have no idea on how to do so.  Would it help to get a PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2, in order to break it and see the lines of code in it?  I have a very limited perspective as to how all this works.  @_@

C:\duh

#2 11/24/09 15:11

TOCS

Re: Where do I start? More stealth action in Oni.

I highly doubt this would by possible, for now.
Animation editing isen't possible yet, so untill then..

And I think it would need average skills in BSL too, as some of it might needs scripting.

But anyways, nice thought!

#3 11/24/09 16:11

Gumby

You would need to learn assembly code and C. Plus lots of patience. Most of these ideas aren't really needed, but feel free to try. smile

How would you implement the controls for those actions?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 11/24/09 18:11

Iritscen

I'm not sure you realize how much work even one of those ideas entails.  You should simply start programming simple things, working your way from "Hello, world" on up.  In several years you will be ready to talk about this again.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 11/24/09 20:11

Gumby

Iritscen wrote:

I'm not sure you realize how much work even one of those ideas entails.  You should simply start programming simple things, working your way from "Hello, world" on up.  In several years you will be ready to talk about this again.

Several months. smile That's the time it took me to learn a good working knowledge of asm and C\C++.

#6 11/24/09 20:11

Iritscen

Sorry, but I stand by my "several years".  Once you've programmed anything on the level that Necro was talking about, you can get back to us, 'kay?  wink

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 11/24/09 22:11

Gumby

The groundwork is already there, it wouldn't take me years to do something like that. I could probably do something that within a week or two (at my normal slow pace) if I really wanted to, most of it being researching where I would need to patch the code in. (Not that I really do, I have more important things to spend my time coding).

Also, why the blam aren't you on YIM?

#8 11/24/09 23:11

Stevinlewis

Nice idea. Would love to see this in Oni ^^

#9 11/25/09 13:11

Necro Skeletal

LOL I know I'm a noob.  But this is all helpful input regardless which is more or less what I was asking for.  Another thing I'd like to know is if we have the main parts/engine of Oni to just build/improve upon, or if it might be more suitable to devote time making something from the ground up. 

And to answer Gumby's question on implementing the controls...  I was thinking the Metal Gear Solid formula, just walking to a wall, and continuously holding the direction at the wall, and while holding, move left/right to move the desired direction.  So you'd have to be facing head on... hmmm... hostage grabbing would probably have to be a different button, or it would over-write existing combinations unless you use the "Pick up item" button and hold it...  Maybe instead of that a better idea would be to enable better aiming with a gun while she's punching/kicking XD

That being said, I'll stop spewing silly ideas and I'll update my instant messaging contacts.
So BSL, Assembly Code, and C++/C#?

#10 11/25/09 14:11

Gumby

The problem is the wallhugging will interfere with combat.

And Assembly Code and C. Just plain C. As Iritscen did say, your ideas are a bit complex. It would take a long time to implement them.

#11 11/27/09 13:11

Necro Skeletal

I expected that they would take a long time.  I know you just can't do these things in a few sittings either, and that it could take years to do this kind of stuff.  But thanks for the info, and I'll have go find some books then after we move and after I get a new job.  Hooray for the game of life!

Board footer