Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 11/16/09 13:11

varrojo

Oni Models License

Hi, this is my first post.

I'm a computer graphics teacher and was (still am) a big fan of the game. I came across this tool that let me export some of Oni's models as .obj files and it only took me a couple of hours to get them drawn using OpenGL.

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but I was wondering, is it possible for me to redistribute at least one of these obj files to my students as to have them render those as part of an exercise? This would be for academic purposes only. I think these models provide a great means for putting into practice many concepts such as basic rasterization, shading and texture mapping.

I can make it clear to them that they must not use the models for any other purpose besides my class.

Thanks in advance,
Alejandro.-

Last edited by varrojo (11/16/09 13:11)

#2 11/16/09 13:11

TOCS

Re: Oni Models License

Hello varrojo, and welcome to the community!

There is nothing illegal in exporting a model from Oni, if you've got the original game.
Anyways, I don't think you'll have to ask for such another time. smile

No one could blame you. smile

#3 11/16/09 13:11

varrojo

Hi TOCS, thank you for your quick answer and your warm welcome smile

I see what you mean, thanks. However, I was wondering whether there could be a copyright issue of some sort if I wanted distribute the model to people (my students) who probably do not have the game.

Best regards,
Alejandro.-

#4 11/16/09 14:11

demos_kratos

Hello varrojo and welcome to the most friendly community ever.

That shouldn't be a problem. I believe smile But still, what kind of exercise would it be? I just wonder what sort of thing is possible to do with those models in nowadays Computer Graphics.

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#5 11/16/09 14:11

varrojo

demos_kratos wrote:

Hello varrojo and welcome to the most friendly community ever.

That shouldn't be a problem. I believe smile But still, what kind of exercise would it be? I just wonder what sort of thing is possible to do with those models in nowadays Computer Graphics.

Hi,

My idea was to use the models for a Computer Graphics 101 course, where students are taught the basics of rasterization, lighting and texture mapping and are required to build a Software Renderer from scratch as one of the mandatory assignments in the course.

For the first part of the course, a plain Utah Teapot model is enough, however for texture mapping, I'm looking for a complex real-life model which includes several textures.

The exercise would involve loading the model and its texture files and render them correctly on the screen (textured and lit). Sometimes students like to code camera and model transformations as well, such as rotating the camera around and/or the model.

Anyway, that's the overall idea. I'm planning to start teaching an advanced Computer Graphics course next year where I can teach OpenGL, Shaders and more complex constructs such as Terrain engines, particle systems, Shadows, scene management, etc.

Oni models would be most useful as a database for testing all these algorithms.

Best regards,
Alejandro.-

Last edited by varrojo (11/16/09 14:11)

#6 11/16/09 15:11

Mukade

We on the community here have been exporting and editing models for some time now, so I personally don't see any problems with it, as some have said before me. If you really want to be certain PM either Gumby, Iritscen our Mods or Harry, the forum creator, im sure they could give you an accurate answer to your question.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#7 11/16/09 16:11

Gumby

Well, this is a tricky situation. I think it might not be technically legal (according to the EULA), but as long as you don't use the models for profit, it should be ok. And even if you did, I doubt T2 would find out, or even care. smile

The thing is, we don't own the models. So asking permission from us doesn't do you much good.
If you want to ask T2, your best bet would be this page: http://support.take2games.com/templates … /emailPage

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#8 11/17/09 01:11

Stevinlewis

O.o, this might or might not be related to this post but what is the machine called to create weapons big_smile? I want to create maybe a weapon for Oni.

Welcome varo, you dont have to be so formal, just chillax man big_smile do enjoy ur stay here at the community wink

Last edited by Stevinlewis (11/17/09 01:11)

#9 11/17/09 10:11

TOCS

Machine?
You'll need a program that can edit and create models, such as Blender.

#10 11/17/09 15:11

dream996

it would be nice to teach us too ......=]
like a tutorial or something  big_smile
back on track i dont think it is illegal just to export character in ONI

PunBB bbcode test

#11 11/17/09 18:11

Iritscen

I think that Gumby said all that could be said on the matter, so let's consider the topic closed rather than speculating about what you think the law says, and getting off-topic.  Unless varrojo has any other questions, of course.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#12 11/18/09 21:11

varrojo

Gumby wrote:

Well, this is a tricky situation. I think it might not be technically legal (according to the EULA), but as long as you don't use the models for profit, it should be ok. And even if you did, I doubt T2 would find out, or even care. smile

The thing is, we don't own the models. So asking permission from us doesn't do you much good.
If you want to ask T2, your best bet would be this page: http://support.take2games.com/templates … /emailPage

Thank you so much for your answers. I'll try contacting T2 and see if I can get permission.

Btw, I am now drawing textures along with the model, but I confess I had to do some cheating: I converted the textures from TGA to PNG... I got bored writing the TGA loader needed.

Here's a snapshot of what Konoko looks like with full OpenGL Shader's glory.

Best regards,
Alejandro.-

Last edited by varrojo (11/18/09 21:11)

#13 11/18/09 23:11

Gumby

We have some higher quality textures if you want them.

#14 11/19/09 07:11

varrojo

Gumby wrote:

We have some higher quality textures if you want them.

That would be great! where could I find them?

Also, while I'm at it, I've been thinking about animating the models. How can I extract animation information from the game?

Cheers,
V.-

#15 11/19/09 08:11

demos_kratos

The only way I can think of is extracting a model as COLLADA *.dae together with animation. You should:

Step 1. Install Anniversary Edition. (http://mods.oni2.net/node/75) (You're using Mac I assume? If so, you'll need the Mono Framework to install it. If not, ignore everything below and post that you're using PC)
Step 2. Put these files from Oni/Edition/GameDataFolder/level0_***/ into one folder:
     a) ONCCkonoko_generic.oni
     b) TRACkonoko***.oni
     c) TRAMKON***.oni
     d) TRBSkonoko_body_high.oni
     e) TRMAkonoko002_high_texture_generic.oni and TXMPIteration001%2FKS_****.oni
3. run onisplit (it's in Edition/install/) with params:

mono onisplit -extract:dae <target_directory> -anim:<animation_name> <path to ONCCkonoko_generic.oni>

where *animation_name* is the name of the file you copied in Step 2.(c) w-out TRAM and .oni.
Example: TRAMKONOKOendpowerup.oni. It's name is KONOKOendpowerup. You should get a *.dae file and "images" folder in *target_directory*.

Instead of Step 3. you can use EdT's AETools (http://mods.oni2.net/node/69) but I don't know anything 'bout using it. You can ask EdT himself.

Last edited by demos_kratos (11/19/09 08:11)

Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?

#16 11/19/09 08:11

varrojo

Wow demos, thanks for all the info!

It does seem a bit complicated at the moment, but I'll definitely try it when I have some free time.

About the hi-res textures. Can I download them from somewhere or should I install Anniversary Edition and re-extract the model as OBJ?

Cheers,
V.-

#17 11/19/09 09:11

demos_kratos

Here are all hi-res textures of Konoko that are made by SeverEd. (Note: They are all TGA)

P. S. There are some other HR textures but I don't know anything 'bout 'em.

Last edited by demos_kratos (11/19/09 09:11)

#18 12/02/09 22:12

varrojo

Hello all,

Well, I tried writing a message to Take2Games and all I got was an automatically generated email saying I would get an answer within 72 hours. This was about two weeks ago and I still haven't received a followup from them.

This is a bit disappointing, since I can't use the models in my Computer Graphics courses unless I have the necessary permissions from the owner.

Should I try writing again? What else can I do?

Best regards,
Alejandro.-

#19 12/02/09 22:12

Gumby

Well...I haven't ever gotten an email back from them. It's like they are specifically ignoring anything Oni related. wink

#20 12/02/09 22:12

northero
Website

I wouldn't be surprised varrojo coz in case u didn't know take 2 bought oni from bungie and 'abandoned' us here  hmm

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#21 12/02/09 23:12

EdT
Website

varrojo: You might try giving them a phone call if possible.

#22 12/03/09 00:12

Stevinlewis

Lol phone call? I dont think itll even work. they prob changed it the phone number to stop the oni fans from calling ==

#23 12/03/09 00:12

Jon God

I would agree to try calling them.

It's not like you have anything to lose.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#24 12/03/09 01:12

Gumby

Jon God wrote:

Other than the price of long distance. smile

#25 12/03/09 02:12

Stevinlewis

Gumby wrote:
Jon God wrote:

Other than the price of long distance. smile

hes right smile

Board footer