Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/01/07 21:06

geyser
Website

Duck Hunt

Well, not really Duck Hunt... yet. Not part of nikanabo, either. Yet.
Basically, I want Tosh & WIMC to have a look at it first. HERE it is.
(the 3 files included are supposed to replace the original logic)

So far it's just a completely rewritten version of Tosh's Sniper Mod.
Just like OTA, this thing is very easily portable to another area or level.

I didn't want to add any new gaming modes now; I merely polished the ones that were there.

Daodan allows one to set the difficulty dynamically (and Dev Mode may allow similar stuff on Mac).
So it might make sense to collapse the first 3 gaming modes into 1 and add 2 new gaming modes.

The major flaw which I could do nothing about is how the targets wander out of sight for long.
(it obviously makes victory rather random when there's a time limit, and is annoying otherwise)
This cover could be made into a feature if enemies (ducks) pop in and out of cover at random.
Then this will really be quick-aiming practice. Right now, melee makes for many easy shots.

Another thing that might be well worth trying is "Kill the Streaker!". could be a fun complement to the popping ducks
Same as above, but instead of a duck that pops out of cover and back, there's a "streaker" that runs out of one cover and to another.
Just as for ducks, the spawning and destination covers would be determined at random.
Streakers might actually be easier than popping ducks (you just have to lead them).
But if you force animate them with running kicks, slides, etc... that'll be harder.

Then, of course, there's the possibility to emulate Duck Hunt, the all-nostalgic NES shooter.
A duck or two fly in and start "flying around". You have a limited number of shots per duck.

Last edited by geyser (06/01/07 21:06)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#2 06/01/07 22:06

Tosh
Website

Re: Duck Hunt

Ohh, I like this. smile (Why didn't I think of disabling jumping, lmao)
It's a lot cleaner looking, code too.
One thing, about mode 3, is that it's too easy to hit the civilian with area damage after hitting the target. Maybe have a short timer after killing the duck where the civilian can't take damage from you, or at least can't be killed..

By the way, ninja mode is sooo much funner, awesome job with the ghost thing. I don't really get how it works but it does. x3

To be honest, though, Mode 5 isn't as hard as I'd like.. it's pretty easy in fact.
One of the most difficult parts of mode 5 on Sniper mod was that the civilians could steal kills from you. More difficult than that was that they could do it behind walls. tongue That wasn't really a good part though.

Here's my thought..
These guys hide a lot, perhaps every now and then have them attack or move to or whatever a civilian spawn flag.. but just move to it for a bit, not go all the way, so they'll all come out from behind the walls.
Though I'm not sure how well that'd work.
When I was making Sniper mod I wanted to make it so you could shoot through the walls, but turning on that mode you could shoot through the ground - even your own - making the game unplayable. If there was a way to destroy the walls before hand, or be able to destroy just the walls with the weapon, it'd be a lot funner. :X

EDIT: Oh forgot to mention, geyser didn't say anything about what level this was specifically made for.. but it's for the Rooftops level.
I know he said it's portable, but I doubt specific.bsl is. ^^;

Last edited by Tosh (06/01/07 22:06)

#3 06/02/07 10:06

geyser
Website

What kind of English is "funner"? neutral

The "roof" folder is included in the ZIP, not just the .bsl files. So of course it's for Rooftops.
And "portable" means you only have to make a few changes to specific.bsl and the "main" script, not that it will work right away... sheesh.

Mode 3 is supposed to be hard because of the slower projectile speed and splash damage.
The plasma rifle is not exactly a chirurgical weapon. All the more challenging to avoid friendly fire.

Mode 5 is easier because I made it so. The limits used to be 30 seconds and 1 casualty. You're free to suggest what would be the appropriate limits.
Just how do "civilians stealing frags from you" make the job harder? They count as frags for you... so it makes the mission easier to beat... I think...
It's the other way round: that the "ducks" would kill your friends. If you lose at the first casualty, that would make victory very random indeed.

As for the fighters taking cover: that's a non-issue. This spot of Rooftops is simply not suitable for the chosen gameplay.
It would feel unnatural for fighters to stop fighting and relocate to where you can shoot them. And it's not easy coding, either.
This spot could be used for ducks popping in and out of cover, streakers and such. Otherwise, taking cover should be forbidden.
One way to do that is with "Swiss blokes" standing along the sides of the arena, but it's obvious there would be too many here.
There are certainly more suitable spots for this kind of gameplay, maybe not in rooftops but in other levels (TCTF, ACC...).

You're encouraged to keep on "being honest". It's not about commenting on what I did, but about actually making this thing entertaining.
Feel free to use my code mercilessly. I merely provided a working frame and organisation so that you see scripts don't have to be messy.

Last edited by geyser (06/02/07 20:06)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 06/02/07 21:06

Tosh
Website

"more fun" whatever. But by general English rules (append "er" if the word is only one syllable, otherwise say 'more' before it) would dictate "funner". sad

Didn't notice the roof thing ^^; I always drag and drop the files out..

Yes yours would make more sense.. maybe I got it mixed up. But what was running through my head was that you had to kill them before the civilians did or you wouldn't get the score.

Hm, I may try to relocate this to a better area, maybe make mode 5 harder somehow, or add new modes, dunno.
I like your idea of making easy/normal/hard different modes.

#5 06/02/07 21:06

geyser
Website

There are no rules without exceptions in English (including this one) smile
"More fun" is correct. I don't think of "fun" as an adjective. EDIT: Oh. hmm
About the 1-syllable thing: what about "funnier", "merrier", "healthier"? wink

Last edited by geyser (06/02/07 21:06)

#6 06/02/07 22:06

Tosh
Website

Per English rules, the 'ee' sound granted by a trailing y isn't counted as a syllable. But I digress.

Are there any suggestiongs as for locations to do this?
One I'm thinking is the part of the rooftop level, where you jump those gaps and then come out into a fairly open area with some vents sticking out and there's a girl with a moonbow up on the stairs at the right.
Was thinking you could take her spot and spawn guys down there, maybe even on top of the vents.
We'll see.

#7 06/03/07 05:06

Dr.Genya

I like this Duck Hunt smile

#8 12/01/07 14:12

s10k
Website

Looks a nice mod, I will test it later.

#9 12/03/07 11:12

Iritscen

Tosh wrote:

"more fun" whatever. But by general English rules (append "er" if the word is only one syllable, otherwise say 'more' before it) would dictate "funner".

So... by that rule, "more good" is acceptable English.

I don't remember ever learning such a rule in school.  I don't know what they teach out in Oregon, however :-)

My advice to any non-native English speakers is don't learn too many "rules", just observe our crazy language in action and learn by repetition.  The "i before e" rules can be dangerous, for instance.  Otherwise you get hung up on the fact that there are no consistent spelling/pronunciations because English came from so many other languages.

Sorry, OT.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#10 12/03/07 15:12

s10k
Website

Tried the mod and is fun and simple. Nice work.

Board footer