Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/29/07 05:05

Tyr
Website

Oni Challenges!

Hey!

Most of you have ofc played Oni lots of times (I didn't yet as much as some of you tho *yet* wink),
but how about making it more challenging by adding limits? big_smile
For example (which I've done) is play a level of Oni without getting any damage.
It will probably be (almost) impossible for some levels and can only be done with
some luck (:P).
Also, it will be very frustrating since if you get even one hit you will need to do
it all again from the previous savepoint (and they're far away sometimes), so ofcourse it's only a
suggestion to master this cool

Rules are:
* You may not get any damage: falling, melee or weapon damage.
* You may not cheat
* It would probably best to play it unmodified (or not)
* You may play all difficulties (maybe with Script10k's Titan mode? yikes wink)

If you can also add more variables to these challenges by for example:

* Make a time limit
* Add things like:
* Only weapons
* Only melee
* Only backbreakers (or just 75-90% of kills or something)
* Only another special attack (bit too boring maybe wink)
* Maybe add things with scripts/hacked content

I myself aren't a real "Oni Master", I've only mastered the first level without damage yet.
I'll try more and ofcourse you are welcome to show ur skillz wink

-- The Video's
* Syndicate Warehouse: Tyr (no damage) - Tyr (Warehouse Secret) - Geyser (Warehouse Secret)
* Manufacturing Plant:  Tyr (no Damage)

Post your results here (if you want to smile)!

Last edited by Tyr (06/03/07 03:06)

#2 05/29/07 07:05

geyser
Website

Re: Oni Challenges!

Links to cracked software are not encouraged. Just keep that kind of information private smile

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 05/29/07 07:05

Tyr
Website

Ow oke, Then I won't post it, no problem wink

Last edited by Tyr (05/29/07 10:05)

#4 05/29/07 10:05

Tyr
Website

Added my first video of the Syndicate Warehouse (on Youtube) big_smile
You can watch it here, and constructive criticsism is welcome wink.

Last edited by Tyr (05/29/07 12:05)

#5 05/30/07 14:05

Tyr
Website

Added my second video, which is a bit offtopic from this but also connected smile
It's a how-to on the Warehouse secret (the crane striker) which I made by the creation of my first Oni challenge smile
You can watch it here  big_smile

Edit: Got it done, but it doesn't fit on youtube (13 mins) sad, looked for another host)

Last edited by Tyr (06/02/07 13:06)

#6 06/02/07 07:06

Tyr
Website

Added my second third video of the Manufacturing Plant.
You can watch it here. smile

Edit: As script_10k said some further down, there is once (at 11:10 remaining time) where I get a damagepoint). I'll try to redo that part in another movie tongue

Last edited by Tyr (06/02/07 12:06)

#7 06/02/07 10:06

geyser
Website

I don't like the typewriter-style display of text at all.
If anything, it makes it easy for YT to cut off the end of the OCF URL.

As for the damage-free missions as a class, I'd say they're not all that exciting.
I mean, we all know what Oni's original missions look like and how to beat them.
If your original approach relies on peeking through closed doors and such... ahem.
Also, where is the guarantee that this is all recorded in one session? Is it? smile

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 06/02/07 10:06

s10k
Website

You got some damage damage (1,2?).. tongue

damagecb2.png

#9 06/02/07 12:06

Tyr
Website

geyser wrote:

I don't like the typewriter-style display of text at all.
If anything, it makes it easy for YT to cut off the end of the OCF URL.

As for the damage-free missions as a class, I'd say they're not all that exciting.
I mean, we all know what Oni's original missions look like and how to beat them.
If your original approach relies on peeking through closed doors and such... ahem.
Also, where is the guarantee that this is all recorded in one session? Is it? smile

The link to the OCF forum idd went wrong on the Warehouse, while I did fully write it in the movie.
In my opinion, I think it has a challenging side in some way, which I like to play with. Ofcourse, others might think the opposite smile
This is indeed not done in one session, I did do with savepoints (you can try do it in one session, but you will start throwing things if you get a 1 hp off at the very end because some levels are around 5-10 mins if you try to do it without damage.
Also, these are my first movies, so it's a bit a tryout for me (frapsing and editing and stuff) and why not share your creations if you want to learn by getting (constructive) criticsism big_smile,
This also means that it's ok if you don't like the style smile

I'm not planning on doing all the levels of Oni since these are the last ones that are really doable (atleast doable fair) without too much frustration (had to do some parts over for a lot of times tongue), so then I might try something else or just quit with Oni challenges/videos neutral

Oh, and about the fact that we all know the levels, which is true in the way that we've played them a couple of times. But for myself I've played some only twice (I haven't played Oni that long yet, and still have problems with some parts (for example the final fight ^^ wink), so again its also for myself to learn.

Script_10k wrote:

You got some damage damage (1,2?).. tongue

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/9146/damagecb2.png

Indeed... damn tongue missed that thing.
Hmm... maybe I'll redo that part or something wink

Last edited by Tyr (06/02/07 12:06)

#10 06/02/07 12:06

geyser
Website

But for myself I've played some only twice (I haven't played Oni that long yet wink )

OK, that explains why you bump into things a lot smile

#11 06/02/07 19:06

geyser
Website

Bump!

My video response to your last one (please authorize it).
More on the Movies thread.

#12 06/03/07 01:06

Tyr
Website

Done smile
Nice one btw wink

#13 06/03/07 07:06

Fluffy

geyser, your link to the Oni group in the video's description is broken - the S in "groups" shouldn't be there.

To keep this post a little bit on-topic, I'll issue a challenge of my own: if you have a laptop handy, try learning to play Oni well using a trackpad. I recently installed it on my mother's Powerbook and have been having a fair bit of fun.

Last edited by Fluffy (06/03/07 08:06)

#14 06/03/07 08:06

geyser
Website

@ Fluffy: thanks. I "knew" it, and meant to check and fix it later.

I'm on a ThinkPad, and have tried Oni with both trackpad and IBM's TrackPoint thing.
I must say the fire buttons are not to convenient to press while aiming, either way.
Otherwise, it's pretty manageable. I did a lot of Oni debugging without a mouse.
No vidmastering, though. At least not yet. Maybe I should try some smile

CHAPTER 10 BIS : CAT AND TRACKPAD smile
Hm, could be worth another podcast...

Last edited by geyser (06/03/07 09:06)

#15 06/30/07 03:06

Hideoclone_890

well, its impossible to have no damage at all.. But totally ver y Awesome..
I wish i can do that those things also... :b

Wakokoko! (-_-)

Board footer