Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 08/05/09 12:08

Gumby

Re: Retexture Samples

Another person from Washington, eh? smile I live down near Auburn. tongue What company are you at, if you don't mind saying?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#27 08/05/09 12:08

ViciousReilly

Yeah the computer terminal textures and alot of the shared textures that are used in more than one level are pretty terrible, some of them aren't even textures but rather just flat colors.

This is just a thought, and it was something I was contemplating while I was working on these. Has anyone thought about trying to go the opposite route with the textures? Instead of trying to add detail to them, actually simplify them in hi-res like some animated cartoons in Japan. So both the characters AND the environments would have a cell shaded look to them.

A good example of this would be the games Red Steele 2, Killer 7, and XIII. Its something you may want to consider, I imagine it may be easier on the workload and would give oni a very distinct comic book feel.

Some examples:

http://www.thunderboltgames.com/s/revie … ler7-1.jpg
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/58 … _super.jpg
http://redsteel2wii.com/wp-content/uplo … reen-6.jpg
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/16 … _super.png

#28 08/05/09 12:08

ViciousReilly

Gumby:

I would rather not say, just for privacy's sake. Lets just say I work for Sony Computer Entertainment smile. There is only a handful of companies here that are Sony owned, so I'm sure you could probably guess if you really wanted to wink.

-VR

Last edited by ViciousReilly (08/05/09 12:08)

#29 08/05/09 12:08

Gumby

Well, I would consider cel shading, but as I said before, our levels don't quite have the kind of shadowing we would want to make it look good. However, our geometry importer does have an option to cel shade whatever we like, so it wouldn't be hard to go that route if we chose, other than the fact that we'd have to rework even more textures. The other problem is, Oni has a lot of repeated wall textures and such. If it were one flat color, it would probably look even worse than it does now. (Though maybe not, you might know better than me...)

#30 08/05/09 14:08

Iritscen

Actually, it's a very big question as to whether we should be adding details to textures.  I've generally felt that we should not, because I think the Oni devs wanted a clean look for the architecture.  Also, I think that realism is already an area being covered thoroughly by 99% of modern game companies, and they can do it better anyway with their more sophisticated engines.

Anyway, the issue of whether Oni's backgrounds are even animé-style to begin with is slightly controversial, and I would love to get more opinions on the matter.

I'm also unsure about the idea of cel shading, because I don't think it makes things look more like animé.  Although it worked well in the Naruto games.  But usually "cel shading" is a euphemism for "models drowning in ugly black lines that highlight how blocky their polygons are". ^_^

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#31 08/05/09 15:08

EdT
Website

ViciousReilly:  When you have time, can you share your technique of improving the textures.  How did you deal with textures that were originally dithered and so on?  Thanks.

And also, when you are feeling adventurous, can you sneak into Bungie and get us the source code for Oni!  big_smile

#32 08/05/09 15:08

TOCS

@ EdT : Hah, yeah, that would be funny, but I don't think it exists anymore.. Might be thrown in the trashcan.

#33 08/05/09 15:08

ViciousReilly

EdT: I can whip up something for the photoshop process, but from what I hear bungie is guarded like a fortress so I don't think I will be attempting a break in any time soon lol.

#34 08/05/09 16:08

Iritscen

EdT wrote:

ViciousReilly:  When you have time, can you share your technique of improving the textures.  How did you deal with textures that were originally dithered and so on?

I assumed that Reilly was remaking the textures from scratch, hence dithering in the original was irrelevant.  But maybe I'm wrong.

#35 08/05/09 17:08

Gumby

cartoony_2.jpg

#36 08/05/09 17:08

Iritscen

Is that the cel shaded style?  It's neat to look at, but I think after a while it would get pretty boring.

#37 08/05/09 17:08

ViciousReilly

Iritscen:

They are made from scratch smile.

#38 08/05/09 17:08

ViciousReilly

Gumby:

That has an element I am suggesting, which is the outlines on the edges of the objects, I think that combined with more illustrative texture elements like cracks, tiles, scratches, etc it could have a very interesting effect.

One of the largest problems with the game industry today is that it's over saturated with many products that look to similar to one another. So when a game like Red Steel 2 or okami or Viewtiful Joe comes along it makes a large impact on the people seeing it because it's aesthetic is new and fresh. I think this is one of the things that actually helped oni in the first place, in that it was one of the first American games to really take hold of the anime aesthetic and apply it to their art direction. It may not have succeeded on all levels, but it was definately fresh and it would be nice to try and push this idea forward.

#39 08/05/09 18:08

Gumby

We can have anime inspired and detailed. I just don't think cel shading will look good without sharp shadows and such.

A suggestion on the monitor: it needs much more contrast. Right now it looks a bit washed out. Another thing you could do is give it a bit of reflectivity. Someone else will have to show you how though.

Again, we run into the problem that the lights are having the level shading applied over them. If you could supply just the "light" part of one of the lights in your textures, I could make you a light particle. smile

Another note: you are going to have to ditch the TCTF on the doors, unless we can find someone to flip the texture on the opposite side of the door for us. Right now it is mirrored on one side. tongue

#40 08/05/09 18:08

dream996

Gumby!!!! what software a you using ???to show the chapter 3 out w/o using oni (game) smile

PunBB bbcode test

#41 08/05/09 19:08

Gumby

That is Neo's. One of his creations, not really for public use. And not really useful except for exploring game data.

#42 08/05/09 20:08

Gumby

consoleredone.png

#43 08/05/09 20:08

dream996

who is neo=[

PunBB bbcode test

#44 08/05/09 20:08

Gumby

The maker of Onisplit.

#45 08/06/09 04:08

Chamyky
Website

When looked at from so far above, the level looks a lot nicer. There are chances it's because the lighting seems more detailed from a distance, so would it be possible to improve Oni's lightmaps resolution? If it was it would for sure improve the graphics quality.

#46 08/06/09 04:08

TOCS

@ Chamyky : I might not be sure on this one, but I think it's engine based, and I doubt it's possible in a hex-editor. But I'm not quite sure. But you're right, it looks alot better.

#47 08/06/09 06:08

Pierre

@ Chamyky : Oni has no lightmaps, only vertex colors.

Regarding cell shading: it tends to look crappy in games, but something like Appleseed (the movie) or Vexille would certainly look awesome smile

#48 08/06/09 06:08

Gumby

Oni's lighting is baked in. The current level importer we have doesn't have any support for changing the lights though. wink

#49 08/06/09 08:08

dream996

just wondering..... what program are you using 4 them?

PunBB bbcode test

#50 08/06/09 09:08

Iritscen

Using for what?

Board footer