Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/24/09 09:07

levka1

Help problem no1 had b4

Well lets see.. a month ago i changed Power Supply, my old one 450 w burned down and i didnt want to buy new one so i took from my old computer the power supple, everything worked and good, played medal of honor pacific assault, counter strike, but when i started playing Oni, I can play normally for 5 to 30 minutes of gameplay. Then without anyy warning the computer just shuts down, and when i try turn it on, it goes this Windows Xp loading black screen and then it shuts down, until after minimum 5 times in a row i am able to login into my computer and do my staff. Thats really pisses me off, i tryed installing other version of game, the russian one but i saw that there is no 1600 900 resolution option unlike in my game, i didnt know what file made such high resolution, so i took really old disc of oni, and installed and replaced all files including persist.dat , well i just dont know what to do, I can surf the net for hours , play games and listen music, why does Oni shuts down my comp all the time? at first i thought it was some corrupted file or missing file then i entered my oni folder and saw this text file name DEBUGGER here is what is written in there:

### warning: particle class 'w3_phr_e01' emitter 5 can't find emitted particle 'w3_phr_p08'

### warning: particle class 'pstream_shooter' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'w_pstream_shot2'

### warning: particle class 'flame2_e' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'test_smoke'

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud02_p01' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud02_p02' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01b' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01a' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'm_block' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle 'm_p01'

### warning: particle class 'muroglow_e01' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'muroglow_p02'

### warning: particle class 'phase_shot' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

and the strange thing is that i have this in ALL my discs those errors and some more, but i was able to play Oni for some years, why is this problem keep accruing to me again, thats realllly strange i dont what to do,  sometimes i realllly want to play Oni and then it crashes my comp, is there anyway its connected with some Soft or networking or anything 
Please suggest me something..

#2 07/24/09 09:07

Iritscen

Re: Help problem no1 had b4

Strange, it sounds like Oni is overheating your computer.  Actually, that might make sense, in that Oni runs much more off the CPU and less off the GPU than modern games, and perhaps heat from the CPU is what causes the overheating.

The errors in debugger.txt are unrelated.  Everyone gets them, and they don't do any harm.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 07/24/09 11:07

levka1

uh but why oni i got Return to castle wolfestien , i got Elma (lol who knows tongue) i got anyway a lot of old games.. i was going to buy new power supply but then my sister said the computer didnt even once restarted for her, for example , counter strike 1.6 is also an old game, and its uses OpenGl like Oni , but it doesnt make my comp to shutdown.

#4 07/24/09 11:07

levka1

sorry for pop up ... so Oni is requiring more then 420 w powersupply?? maybe something in my text files is making my comp crash?

#5 07/24/09 11:07

Iritscen

My idea was simply that the power supply you are using is causing a higher temperature in your PC than the old supply, and Oni is using more CPU than you are used to a game using, so it also adds heat.  Oni does not use OpenGL like any other game you have, most likely.  Much of the graphics work is done in software (CPU), not in the card.

Do you ever do other CPU-intensive work on the PC, like editing video?

#6 07/24/09 11:07

levka1

uh i just discovered that my end game has no video, and it shuts down right then, like 3/5 times it crashed cuze there is no vid in the end of the game, i have the file outro.bik and intro.bik i think outro is the final video .. Is there any link for this specific file, or anyway how to disable it?

#7 07/24/09 11:07

levka1

lol Iritscen i didnt understand your question, excuse my stupidity tongue

#8 07/24/09 11:07

levka1

i uploaded the persist file, i will look now for this final video file,  Iritscen can you try the last load game of this persist file?
http://rapidshare.com/files/259574710/persist.dat.html

Last edited by levka1 (07/24/09 11:07)

#9 07/24/09 12:07

Iritscen

levka1, it's best to use the Edit feature to add to your original post instead of double- or triple-posting.  That way you don't take up so much vertical space on the page.

i just discovered that my end game has no video, and it shuts down right then, like 3/5 times it crashed cuze there is no vid in the end of the game

Many of us remove intro.bik and outro.bik from our games so that we don't have to sit through the movies each time.  This doesn't cause any crashes.  When you beat Oni, and there is no outro.bik, the game simply quits.  It might seem like a crash, but unless you get a crash report, it's not a crash.

My question was whether you use your computer for other tasks that use the entire CPU for a long period of time, such as compressing video.

#10 07/24/09 12:07

levka1

Oni takes 80% of CPU , how much does it take to you?

#11 07/24/09 12:07

Iritscen

Paradox put this little list together, it seems to be true for the Mac Oni at least:
40 % : main menu
70 % : when entering main menu again
80 % : one enemies and some particle around
110 % : fighting ca. 8 guys with weapon

So, in-game, Oni really hogs the CPU.  My laptop spins up its fans pretty high while I play.

#12 07/24/09 12:07

levka1

I was going to write you when my comp shut down, i try doing cheat winlevel thought maybe both my persist files suck, well i just dont know what to do, is there any way to concentrate Oni not to CPU but to something else? and also i read in russian site Oni does OpenGl so i dont really know what it means but hmmm.. any suggestions? stop playing Oni is not one of them

#13 07/24/09 12:07

Lithium

yea maybe cuz its really early in the 2000 games for pc and advanced graphics. Thats probably why your Com turns off.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#14 07/24/09 12:07

Iritscen

levka1 wrote:

I try doing cheat winlevel thought maybe both my persist files suck

I really don't think it's your saved games.  There's like 0% chance of that being the problem.

is there any way to concentrate Oni not to CPU but to something else? and also i read in russian site Oni does OpenGl

The thing is, it's not a matter of "doing" OpenGL, it's a matter of how well Oni does OpenGL (answer: not very).  As oxe161 mentioned, Oni is old.  If the game fully supported OpenGL, it would use your graphics card like other games do.  Instead it uses the CPU to do a lot of that work.  There is no way to fix this unless we manage to one day hack proper OpenGL support into Oni, which would be an impressive accomplishment.

The only solution I can think of is to prevent your computer from overheating (if that's actually what's happening).  I'm sure there are tips on the Internet about how to do that.  Personally, I have no clue about that stuff.

#15 07/24/09 12:07

Gumby

Yeah, it sounds like your CPU is overheating. Get a program to track the temp and run Oni in a window so you can watch it.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#16 07/24/09 12:07

levka1

wait If i reduce the resolution to lower resolution, will it decrease the FPS or the CPU usage? I just have 19( i think) inch widescreen, and my windows resolution is 1600 900 , so ingame , i cant play with lets say 640 480 or 800 600.. cuze its too low for my monitor everything is just fuzzy.. But if lets say i play with 1024 768 will it help somehow Oni to to Crash my computer?

#17 07/24/09 12:07

levka1

If lets say i will buy 600 w new power supply in 100-120 new shekels (1 dollar=3.86 shekels.) will It help the CPU somehow? If i will have more w , i will have more CPU (stupid question i know the answer is No but w.e) or will it decrease the CPU usage with its ventilator ? well i got that i wont play oni this weekend or the beginning of the next week, but if i will buy new power supply, is that going to help me for sure?..

#18 07/24/09 12:07

levka1

If i will set Oni.exe or Onifix.exe under Work in windows 98/95/me or 2000 will it help,, ?

#19 07/24/09 13:07

Iritscen

levka, please edit the first post instead of making two more.

I definitely cannot say that getting a new power supply will help.  Maybe someone else with more hardware expertise can tell you, but if anything I would expect it to generate even more heat if it is more powerful.  But playing in a lower resolution is worth a try.  *Maybe* turning down the graphics quality will help as well, although I don't think it has much of an effect.

#20 07/24/09 13:07

levka1

thanks for the answer, and sorry for not editing my messages, i just dont hang in forum sites N staff, just this one tongue well thanks for help But still anyone with hardware expertise who can give advice or a hint, may help a lot, you know when u got all games, u dont play them, but when one of them stops working you get pissed and try fix it in any way you can hehe..  then u play as it is nostalgic and then again..

#21 07/24/09 13:07

Gumby

It will help if you make sure you didn't knock your heatsink loose. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Board footer