Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/20/07 17:05

eric

Oni with Vista64bit?

Hi.  Today I just tried installing Oni on my Win Vista Ultimate 64bit.  I have a dual core processor, and 2030 MB of RAM (*whatever that means).  As you can tell, I'm definetly not a techie.  I am, however, running into an interesting problem.

When I start the program, it takes me through the initial intro video, and then I get a blank screen.  I ctrl-alt-delete; I get an error window saying Oni.exe has stopped working"; "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." 

Unfortunatly, Windows has not notified me of anything.

I renamed the intro.bik file to keep it from starting up when the program starts; but I still run into the same problem - a big black screen.  The cursor arrow appears in the screen, which leads me to believe that something is working...

Help.  I need Oni.  I'm going through withdrawls... neutral

I've attached a screenshot.

#2 05/20/07 17:05

Tosh
Website

Re: Oni with Vista64bit?

Windows will never notify you if there's a solution cause it'll never make one. Except maybe for Microsoft products...
In any event, do you have OpenGL installed? I seem to remember something about Vista not being distributed with it.. but I suppose that'd give a whole other error.

What kind of video card do you have?

#3 05/21/07 05:05

geyser
Website

eric, please look up the startup.txt file in your Oni folder and post its contents here.
Whatever is the matter (I know people who've been running Oni on Vista just fine), here's what you may try.
1) Run Oni with the command line parameter "-noswitch" (you can do that from a DOS prompt or by editing the Oni shortcut): should be something like "...\Oni\Oni.exe -noswitch"
2) Replace your Oni.exe with the one you get from HERE

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 07/11/07 05:07

jonhjack

remember that,windows never contains the OpenGL driver !!!!

you should install the offical display-card driver which always contains the
OpenGL driver

#5 08/23/07 21:08

itstemo1

empty

Last edited by itstemo1 (09/04/17 20:09)

#6 08/23/07 22:08

geyser
Website

I linked to the patch above, just in case, but never got any follow-up. Can you confirm that the so-called "XP patch" fixes the topic-starting problem?
(actually it's Ian Patterson's anti-Blam patch, which basically disables a few text buffers, including the one where Oni dumps the GL extension list)

I recommend the Daodan DLL instead of the patch, since it has quite a few features in addition to fixing the "Blam at startup". Dev Mode, for instance.
http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php/Daodan_DLL

And yes, johnjack meant the GFX card drivers. Monitor drivers also exist, but they only make sense when the monitor has some non-standard modes.

Last edited by geyser (08/23/07 22:08)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#7 08/24/07 20:08

itstemo1

empty

#8 08/24/07 21:08

geyser
Website

Thanks for the feedback. In XP the mouse sensitivity in Oni is simply that of Windows.
Maybe in Vista you have the option to define mouse speed on an app-per-app basis...

#9 08/24/07 21:08

itstemo1

empty

Board footer