Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/07/09 13:07

Leus
Website

Potentially cool idea

So this is kind of worthless I guess since I haven't done/can't do any actual scripting, but it's really like a half-suggestion half-inquiry as to whether anything like this exists.

So, what about a level designed to be played as another character?  It could even follow an existing story, like Mukade fighting his way through the state building to steal the files from the computer, or Barabas fighting through the TCTF to kidnap Shinitama.

I was inspired when playing the "Big Battle" mod for the TCTF headquarters where you're randomly fighting alongside the syndicate at certain parts, and there's even a bit where you and all the syndicate bosses do go and kidnap Shinitama.  The mod was cool but rather incoherent in my opinion.

I dunno, I just thought it was cool how much new gameplay this mod implemented and how feasible it is to actually create a whole new mission.  I guess the playing as another character bit isn't an integral factor of what I'm getting at here; are there any other mods besides the Big Battle that give you basically an entire new mission to play through?

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#2 07/07/09 13:07

Lithium

Re: Potentially cool idea

I thought of that too, but you guys can do that and me the concole person cant do it because
1 im not that smart and 2 i dont have PC version. i feel like the loner here sad

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 07/07/09 13:07

Iritscen

Pony up the few dollars for a secondhand PC version, oxe, it will be well worth it.  Those Oni copies won't be out there forever!

Leus, have you played gmsly's TCTF Regional Mod 3?  It might be what you're looking for.  It's on the Mod Depot (mods.oni2.net).  At this moment, the Depot is down because I'm working on it, but when it's back up (EDIT: it's back up now), look under the Scripts category and you'll find it.  I hope it works for you -- my Mac didn't seem to get along with some of the BSL, but maybe it will be fine in Windows.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 07/08/09 01:07

Ire Yosuke
Website

I managed to beat that mod and the whole AE just by using TCTF balck ops ! Well I had to shapeshift to do some jumps thought ;/

"There are two things that cannot be ignored in life. One is a cannon, the other, a cannon ball." - Commander Patrick "Bombard" Bomba

#5 07/08/09 11:07

Leus
Website

Iritscen:  Oh, yeah, I guess that's the one I was referring to.  For some reason I have the folder for it labelled "Big Battle," although I'm pretty sure I didn't just make that up.  Maybe it came like that in the zip for some reason.

But anyway, yeah, playing that is what inspired the idea.  I mean it's pretty much what I was talking about but the actual flow of the level was rather incoherent, like you'd randomly teleport around, killed Konoko twice, fight Muro and Mutant Muro.  I mean it was all pretty cool but just not like an actual mission.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#6 07/08/09 11:07

Iritscen

Right, it could probably use more subtitles or mission objective pages to tell more of a story.

#7 07/08/09 22:07

Lithium

Iritscen wrote:

Pony up the few dollars for a secondhand PC version, oxe, it will be well worth it.  Those Oni copies won't be out there forever!

i dont have paypal!! im gonna go f***ing insane!!! AAHH! "BAM!"
HARA-KIRI
20 points for those who knows what hara-kiri means

Last edited by Lithium (07/08/09 22:07)

#8 07/08/09 23:07

3llense'g

oxe161 wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

i dont have paypal!! im gonna go f***ing insane!!! AAHH! "BAM!"
HARA-KIRI
20 points for those who knows what hara-kiri means

Isn't it the same as seppuku? tongue

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#9 07/09/09 05:07

ItemfinderDeluxe

Why do I keep disappearing for ages at a time? Jeez I'm terrible...

Not minding me, the problem with such a script (for example, you playing as Barabas and trying to kidnap Shinitama) is the sheer amount of planning needed for it. You know Barabas needs to start on the roof because he's not magically running through all of the TCTF defences like the Juggernaut whilst in plain view of Konoko. Therefore, it needs planning for the route the player needs to take for the 'mission'. You need to plan the 'allies' and 'enemies', checkpoint conditions, win and special lose conditions (if any). Then there's the countless hours of bug testing and script fixing to make it work. It's a lot of effort, and so most scripts just tend to be 'random' scripts, 'wave' scripts, or alternative levels like the Titan Mod or OTA.

However, if you can do one successfully, the result is well worth it.

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#10 07/09/09 10:07

Lithium

Guess you could use tctf level2.  Spawn barabas, then some furies, females, and strikers. Then when you get to that point your done. But that would be a bad idea because one, there would'nt be any destrtuction. And 2 youd be done in 10 minutes, because shinatama's chair is like 1 floor below the star point.

#11 07/10/09 13:07

Ire Yosuke
Website

I could do beta testing and help with some planning. I'd gladly play a different scenario since well, the level itself has been made, even the cutscene ;P

"There are two things that cannot be ignored in life. One is a cannon, the other, a cannon ball." - Commander Patrick "Bombard" Bomba

#12 07/10/09 14:07

Lithium

big_smile wow good job

#13 07/10/09 21:07

Leus
Website

Maybe Barabas came in with that truck that busted through at the ground floor.  You'd have to fight up to Shinitama (with way more TCTF to face than when Konoko fights through because you took most of them out before she got there,) then get to the helicopter.  There you go, whole level.  Jetpack up the elevator shaft, or just teleport and say you jetpacked smile

#14 07/10/09 21:07

Iritscen

There is a jetpack mod for Barabas (search "Jetpack" on the Depot).  That might be of use.

It's neat to think of Barabas fighting all the way up from the bottom, but I can't help but think that it would make more sense for him to come in the helicopter that landed up top.  Less distance to travel.

#15 07/11/09 01:07

dream996

it will be quite hard to make those script but heyho i got quite a idea ,have you see the lego star war?the last battle will skywalker???even though skywalker kill his master he will still end updead , you could use that for the scritp like got kill by konoko

PunBB bbcode test

#16 07/11/09 08:07

Leus
Website

Yeah it'd make more sense for him to have come from the helicopter, but it makes for a better level if he comes from the van.  smile

#17 07/11/09 13:07

Lithium

And maybe have some strikers for backup.

#18 07/11/09 13:07

Leus
Website

I should get into Oni scripting one of these days.

Be honest.  To someone who has never so much as programmed a function into a graphing calculator before, how likely am I to achieve that goal?

#19 07/11/09 14:07

Lithium

idk

#20 07/11/09 14:07

Iritscen

It's not rocket science by any means, but you will probably be learning some basic concepts for the first time as you go, such as passing variables into functions.  And trial and error is unavoidable.  But since you have a whole bunch of scripts to learn from (IGMD scripts, modders' scripts), it's just a matter of starting with something that produces a known result, then examining the BSL so see how the result happens.

Don't forget that there is lots of documentation on the wiki, and a tutorial at http://wiki.oni2.net/BSL:Tutorial/Scratch that looks helpful.  Beyond that, we're always here if you have specific questions ("What does this line do?" "When does this code run?", etc.).

Board footer