Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/14/08 10:02

Iritscen

That Multiplayer Oni Hack?

This is a loaded gun of a topic, isn't it?  No one discusses it since that project stalled a while back, and I understand why.

Keep in mind, I'm only asking for information here out of curiosity, not proposing a massive project that would never get done in time for the Edition.

Who here was involved with that effort to hack multiplayer into Oni?  What were the obstacles?  How was the multiplayer actually supposed to get implemented into Oni?  How much was accomplished?  I missed that whole scene, so I'm looking to get a handle on it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 02/14/08 11:02

geyser
Website

Re: That Multiplayer Oni Hack?

Just search the old forums for OniPlayer, why doncha?

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 02/14/08 12:02

Iritscen

So...........no.

Why should I read through that mess when someone can type a paragraph summary of the thing?

*sigh* Okay, here's what I know.  Some guys got together and wrote Oni Trainer, which was used to monitor Oni's memory state to find runtime variables.  This was going to be used to plug the memory locations into their network game code.  I also know that the process was quite involved and the head guys dropped away like flies over time, as inevitably happens with big, unpaid projects when little progress is made and real-life situations change.

So what I wanted to know most was, what was the means for altering Oni's runtime memory?  I wanted to know how that was possible.  It's an intriguing idea.  And how close were they?

#4 02/14/08 12:02

geyser
Website

Didn't you even go as far as to explore http://oniplayer.oni2.net ?

I'm done typing paragraph summaries of things. "Search", dude.
I've been giving heads-up to people all over these forums, dude.
So surely you can look up posts by me about OniTrainer, dude.
And surely you can look up posts by me about OniPlayer, dude.
And surely you can look up posts by typhen, Kumo, and Alloc.

Seriously, what kind of documentation freak is so lazy?
Yes, I give heads-up to clueless people, but to you...

EDIT:
OniTrainer is Alloc's deed and his alone. Obviously, as a trainer, it wasn't meant to explore Oni's runtime: it just made use of the knowledge gathered so far, with 3rd party RAM tools.
Apart from OniTrainer, there was Onyx (a universal runtime patcher made by typhen), and a thing called OniHook, developed by neonew. All of these allowed about the same things.

Last edited by geyser (02/14/08 12:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 02/14/08 13:02

Iritscen

I have looked over the OniPlayer page, yes, but it doesn't say "So, here's what we got done, and here's where we stopped", because, as usual, people don't put the cap on an aborted project and sum it up at the end.  As far as you can tell from the site, the project is still ongoing (yes, no updates since '05, but the site doesn't say it's not moving forward at all).

What would the runtime patcher have done?  Would that have been the program to modify Oni's memory space to place the other network players in a person's game, etc.?  The site doesn't explain things as clearly as, say, the intro. to modding that you wrote for the wiki.  It's written by coders with only themselves in mind.

I'm not looking for gory details here, just a general rundown of how the pieces were going to fit together.

Last edited by Iritscen (02/14/08 13:02)

#6 02/14/08 13:02

geyser
Website

I may be a walking Oni-pedia, but this is rude.
You'll either have to do some forum search...
... or wait until I "cap" that stuff of the wiki...
... which will happen with low priority if at all.

Last edited by geyser (02/14/08 13:02)

#7 02/14/08 14:02

Iritscen

Yeesh.  If you don't want to answer the question, or don't have the answer, DON'T POST.  I wasn't PMing you, for Pete's sake, I was asking 'anyone who was involved'.

#8 02/16/08 02:02

ItemfinderDeluxe

Okay, calm down people. Angry Oni posters = thread mutations = flame strikes, etc. Let's try to avoid that, shall we?

Form what I quickly read, the true obstacle was ensuring that everyone's computers picked up the correct locations of their respective characters, correct? I'm not too sure, but would coding differences between PC's and Mac's have made a difference as well?

I could be entirely wrong about what I just said, but I haven't finished reading everything yet. Still, it's interesting, reading about all the old ideas that are now only slowly coming together.

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#9 02/16/08 07:02

geyser
Website

@ Iritscen: see? IfD here actually takes the time to read the old threads smile
@ IfD: this thread has had a followup on http://wiki.oni2.net/User_talk:Iritscen

@ everybody: The Mac portability was irrelevant to the OniPlayer team AFAIR.
All the programs ran on PC, and all the Oni hackers were (and still are) on PC.
Mac portability would not have been considered until something worked on PC.
The main problem was indeed with identifying Oni's character state structures.

#10 07/27/08 07:07

Im_New

uhh wow.. nice speech u 2 still i dun get wut this guy is saying i mean hes rude sierously

Konoko:Im Kicking ur @ss
Barabus:Never....ahhhh help me im falling *pulls his string to trust his jetpack*
Barabus:*SNAP!* noooo

Board footer