Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 04/23/07 13:04

tyvol

Re: Mac Mouse Freezes Up?

A bit more manageable now...

Instead of arrow keys, I decided to bind the A & D keys to turnleft & turnright. This keeps my left hand close to all the other useful keys.

I do miss the sidestep, but with the A & D keys so programmed, I can move quickly when needed and the mouse/trackball can also be used when it is not sticking/freezing!

Net: Cumbersome and I have to take special care aiming, but it works!

I'm still searching, though.

IMHO there has to be something on my rig between my mouse/trackball and the mousexaxis/mouseyaxis or the aim_UD/aim_LR functions that can be changed.

Or maybe it is my 7800 GTX 512 GPU (I will swap this board out for the stock GPU when I have time).

It's a hobby, right?

Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers,

tyvol

#27 12/15/07 03:12

kitsune7

this may be a dead thread now, but I thought I'd post up something I've noticed about this problem. I experience this exact freezing problem and was hoping to find a solution here. Looks like there may not be any way to totally fix it with a modern os. If I played Oni using OS9 as my startup disk, it ran PERFECTLY. Unfortunately, since the advent of os 10.4 and up (i think), you can no longer use OS9 as a startup disk. Guess they figured nobody needs that anymore. Damn, I do. As has been mentioned in this form and elsewhere, the problem has to do with mouse acceleration on OSX. I believe OS9 didn't have such a thing and the game was made during OS9 times. So, if no one can figure out a fix for OSX oni, maybe someone knows how to start up with OS9?? It was a little inconvenient to have to use OS9 every time I played oni, but it could run perfectly at all times.

#28 12/15/07 12:12

Fluffy

kitsune, are you using the same Mac? The ability to boot into OS 9 is governed by the hardware you're using. Otherwise, are you talking about Classic?

#29 12/17/07 13:12

Iritscen

I also have this exact problem.  I'm on a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.4.  Nothing seems to fix it.  I can try to prevent it by not moving the mouse too quickly, but I'm not sure how well that even works.  It's interesting to note that when the camera is shifted to another location (say, when you unlock a door and it shows the door unlocking, then cuts back to you), it almost always freezes.  It seems that the camera goes, "Whoa, I'm moving too fast, let's hold on a moment here!" and locks up intentionally whenever you change the camera angle too fast.  In other words, I think it's some "helpful" code running when it's not wanted.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#30 12/17/07 14:12

EdT
Website

Iritscen: What resolution are you playing Oni?  Try changing it to different ones and see if it makes a difference.
Even though, I have a 22inch display, I still play the game at 640 x 480. 

Also, were you able to run OniUnPacker in Crossover?

#31 12/18/07 10:12

Iritscen

I think I have tried diff't resolutions, but I will try again.  I originally had a hunch that it was the screensaver trying to kick in because the hidden mouse was in my sleep corner, but I turned off the sleep corner and it made no difference.

Interestingly enough, I ran Oni in windowed mode using geyser's Edition Zero script run_wind.sh, and it *seemed* to eliminate the mouse problem.  But then I have the problem of clicking in the Desktop by accident while playing, and having to see the cursor, and having to re-align it with the in-game cursor every few times I go into the pause screen menu.  But let me try running in 640x480 and see if it helps.  If not, I will try running windowed mode at a high enough res. that it covers most/all of the Desktop.

And yes, I was able to run OUP.  I actually got confused at the time I PMed you; I could already run OUP.  However, your tips allowed me to install it properly, which I appreciate.  Actually, it's Pierre's Flexine that doesn't run (I don't know why I confused the two).  I don't suppose it works for you?

Edit: EdT, are you on a PPC Mac or an Intel one?  Laptop or desktop?

Last edited by Iritscen (12/18/07 10:12)

#32 12/18/07 11:12

EdT
Website

Iritscen:  I haven't tried Pierre's Flexine.
Or you could try lowering your display's resolution if Oni starts to lag at the higher resolution.

What type of Mac are you using?

Yes, I have a PPC G4 desktop running OSX 10.4.11 and a Intel Macbook running OSX10.5.1

#33 12/18/07 14:12

Iritscen

As you'll see a couple posts above, I'm on a MacBook Pro, 10.4.10 :-)  And there's no lag (except when absurd amounts of glass is breaking, or I'm playing a mod where a buttload of enemies are running around).  It's an actual cut-off of mouse input, like it just became disconnected.  And yes, it only happens within Oni.  It's definitely the same problem that the OP was describing.  It's a serious handicap that forced me to use cheats or else risk massive frustration from dying over and over because I lost control for a couple seconds.

I haven't tried Pierre's Flexine.

I'm surprised you haven't tried playing the Konoko Payne demo.  I'm dying to try it.

#34 12/19/07 01:12

kitsune7

Fluffy: I'm using a stock iMac G5 20". 512 ram, 128mb ati radeon x600 xt, os 10.4.11. I believe that ever since os 10.3 or 10.4 came out, they eliminated the ability to boot from os 9 (not classic). With 10.2 and whatever earlier os I've had on this computer, I was able to use os 9 as a startup disk. Now os 9 no longer appears in the startup disk system preference even though I still have os 9 on one of my partitions just like before. If you know a way to still boot up from os 9, please let me know.

I did some more experimenting since my last post and found that in the "get info" window of the os 9 oni app, you can check a box for "open in the Classic environment". Previously both the original oni app and the oni osx app would simply open in osx and exhibit the mouse freeze. Sooo, I ran it in classic and it works with much less mouse freeze. Unfortunately the kick can be used only with the keyboard, but it's the closest fix I've found so far next to booting in os 9.

Last edited by kitsune7 (12/20/07 01:12)

#35 12/19/07 10:12

Iritscen

Looks like I would have to play on my G5 to avoid mouse freeze, at least in full-screen mode.  There's a possibility that running in Windowed mode eliminates the mouse problem, but then I have the clicking-outside-the-window problem.

To answer EdT's question about lowering resolution, Oni doesn't give me any choice lower than 1024x768.  It used to in the early days, but these days, on my MBP, it doesn't.

#36 12/19/07 16:12

EdT
Website

Iritscen: I guess since the MacBook has an integrated graphics chip, I can still go down to 640x480.

What happens if you set the windowed mode resolution the same size as the display resolution?

#37 01/22/08 17:01

NMS
Website

I have a mild version of this problem on an iMac (2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card and 1 GB RAM), but not any other computers. (G4 macs and an IBM laptop) Most of the time it's hardly noticable, but on level 11 it gets much worse (2-5 seconds each time). I tried different resolutions both with and without -noswitch, different mice, changing the quality setting, etc. Nothing seems to help.

Oddly, mouse control doesn't come back as suddenly as it goes away. After a few seconds of not registering any mouse movement, it becomes jerky, like it's only checking the mouse position a couple times per second, then it goes back to normal. And the mouse buttons continue to work the whole time.

I normally play on other computers, but the iMac is the only one that can run Snapz Pro X at the same time, so this could make it difficult for me to speedrun the level.

#38 01/22/08 22:01

EdT
Website

NMS: Have you tried different resolutions in the Oni options?  Another user was able to solve the freezing mouse issue this way.

Last edited by EdT (01/22/08 22:01)

#39 06/05/08 17:06

quarkmac
Website

I'm having a major problem with this now.

On my old iMac, which was a G5, I believe, just changing the resolution down one notch from the highest setting
fixed all of my mouse problems.

Now on my new Intel iMac, with 10.5, and 10.4 installed, I can't seem to get the mouse working right at all.

It sucks.

We Don't Give The Crescent Moon Kick Nearly As Much Credit As It Deserves!

#40 06/05/08 19:06

EdT
Website

quarkmac: Long time no see!  This is from the troubleshooting page on the wiki:

Oni plays poorly on my Mac under Leopard. The controls cut out occasionally.
Running a Carbon app in the background has been observed to fix this problem. The app doesn't need to do anything; you can just leave it open and then open Oni. If you don't know what a Carbon app is or if you have one, just download this one, it worked for one Mac user: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830

#41 07/07/08 17:07

quarkmac
Website

EdT:  Thanks man.  It's good to be back.

And I tried the troubleshooting technique.  And, it seems to sort of work!  The mouse becomes a good deal less choppy, but it isn't perfect.

I'm going to keep trying to mess around with the size of the carbon app, the resolution, and other things and see if I can fix the problem entirely!

EDIT:  Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I played for more than about a minute, the mouse freezing became a non-issue!  FINALLY!

Last edited by quarkmac (07/07/08 19:07)

We Don't Give The Crescent Moon Kick Nearly As Much Credit As It Deserves!

#42 01/13/11 23:01

dpny

Hate to bump and old thread, but is there any other info about the mouse freeze? I'm using the latest community version of Bungie on an Intel Mac running 10.6.6, and the mouse freezes after a few minutes of play.

#43 01/14/11 01:01

EdT
Website

dpny: The mouse freeze issue is fixed in the Intel version of Oni, which will be released soon.
So keep an eye on the forums for news of the Intel release.

#44 01/14/11 16:01

dpny

EdT wrote:

dpny: The mouse freeze issue is fixed in the Intel version of Oni, which will be released soon.
So keep an eye on the forums for news of the Intel release.

Awesome. I've been following the development of the Intel version, so looking forward to it.

#45 06/11/11 13:06

Ivansible
Website

Hi guys! Well, first: ONI is fantastic, and the only problem i had is the famous "Sticky Mouse Syndrom". I'm running Oni on a Intel Mac, 10.6.7, and I'm having this problem since I started playing on a 10.4.7 Mac. So, although everyone tried to fix this bug, I think it's an unfixable one… LoL
Cheers…
Ivansible

I think we're just getting started…

#46 06/11/11 13:06

Dirk Gently
Website

http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 710#p31710

download that, your problem is fixed.

#47 06/11/11 20:06

Ivansible
Website

Dirk Gently wrote:

http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 710#p31710

download that, your problem is fixed.

……WOW !!! I don't know how to thank you for this… I really didn't find any solution, even on this website. Just opened the Intel version, and there was it! Smooth mouse!!!
thank you SO MUCH, Dirk Gently and all Oni community!

Last edited by Ivansible (06/12/11 11:06)

I think we're just getting started…

Board footer