Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/03/08 04:04

LastmanSAC

help would be welcome

How hard is it exactly to make machinima in Oni?

#2 04/03/08 08:04

Iritscen

Re: help would be welcome

I am not an expert in scripting, but I'd say that the hardest part would be getting character to be "on their marks".  The flags that you can navigate a character to are limited and hard-coded into each level.  The only solution to that would be binary hacking.  I know there's already been talk about doing that, but I don't know what's actually been accomplished.

But as long as you have the Edition installed, you have access to all character and all soundbites in all levels.  And you can trigger any animation for any character, more or less, I think.  A good example of something close to machinima is the "One Tiny Mistake" script that IfD wrote (http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=288).

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/03/08 10:04

Tyr
Website

What about this: Loser's tribute movie smile
http://loser.oni2.net/Videos/Revenge.wmv
From the Movies topic:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 2377#p2377

Last edited by Tyr (04/03/08 10:04)

#4 04/03/08 11:04

Iritscen

Or, yeah, there is that complete machinima movie I never saw before... ^_^;

LOL at "you idiotic pothead".

Well, I think that shows Oni's potential pretty well.

#5 04/03/08 23:04

EdT
Website

Don't forget this one by SektorZ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd14DmWAZUI

#6 04/06/08 07:04

LastmanSAC

i saw all of the SK on my friend's pc and Loser's revenge, they look pretty damn good.

#7 04/06/08 07:04

LastmanSAC

oh, and do you know where i could learn to script and stuff, a website or something...?

#8 04/08/08 08:04

Iritscen

Well, the best resource is (supposed to be) the wiki.  We've got a whole section on scripting.  It's largely a work in progress, though.  I was going to dedicate some time to it, but with this and that going on in my life, I probably won't be in a position to work on it 'til the summer.  In any case, it's either the BSL section of the wiki, or learning by example (maybe that's the best option for now).  Just d/l all the scripts you can find and experiment with them to see what makes them tick.

#9 04/08/08 11:04

Gumby

Do you know any other scripting languages?

C? C+? LSL? BASIC? TI-BASIC?

Basic scripting experience really helps...

PErsonally I started off with TI-BASIC tongue. Then I learned a bit of LSL (Linden Scripting Language). Then BSL...but I have the "Big Book of C" as I like to call it and hopefully I will learn that soon...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#10 04/08/08 12:04

Iritscen

Not that you need to know those first, but certainly knowledge of a scripting language (not source-to-machine code language like C, but stuff like Visual Basic and AppleScript) would help.  I wouldn't go out of my way to learn them first, though.

#11 05/07/08 05:05

LastmanSAC

sorry, been shacking up from the internet for a time.
Just today i learned a bit about DOS (does that even count?) and i am getting VisualBasic off of a friend on the morrow.

#12 05/07/08 08:05

Iritscen

I hope we didn't mislead you before, Lastman.  The point I and Gumby were making was that if you already know a language like [see above], then you can easily pick up BSL.  But I wouldn't take the time to learn VB just to prepare yourself for BSL; BSL may have some quirks in practice, but in theory it's quite simple.  If you were going to learn VB anyway, well, then, by all means.  I learned VB to write macros for complex actions in Excel (you can tell I must be the life of the party).  One day at work (old job, not new, busy job) I was so bored I wrote a VB macro that made a square bounce up and down in the spreadsheet according to a realistic gravity simulation (that's not what you're supposed to use Excel macros for).  Anyway, that's neither here nor there.  The best way to learn BSL is still experimentation and occasionally consulting the wiki.  I am still sorry for not having helped fill in the gaps, but it's still not summer yet and I am still in a time-crunch.  I just said 'still' a whole lot.

Board footer