Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/06/07 05:05

Arcticsnake

problems with sound

hey, i have a really old oni full game file from like, 2002 and it installs fine, runs fine, but i cant hear any ingame sound.
the main menu sound works fine and i have checked the sound level in the options and it is set to 10, it just doesent work, any ideas on how to get it working?
thanks

#2 05/07/07 13:05

SektorZ
Website

Re: problems with sound

Weird... music works, sound doesn't? Go to your system volume control and see if something is muted or lowered...

Last edited by SektorZ (05/07/07 13:05)

#3 02/11/08 17:02

rivalary

I am having the same problem. Music plays fine, no sound effects, no speech, nothing.

Playing on a laptop with Geforce 8600 M GT video, Intel T7500 CPU, Realtek HD sound, XP Pro

Update:
Setting "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" to "No acceleration" in dxdiag fixes the problem, but what a pain in the butt to do that every time I want to play! Any other suggestions?

Last edited by rivalary (02/11/08 18:02)

#4 02/11/08 18:02

geyser
Website

Are you positive that you hear music while in the main menu (and on .MISSION COMPLETE and .MISSION FAILED screens?), but no music or sound ingame?
That's very odd since it's the same kind of sound data. Would you please tell us what version of Oni you have (in particular, what's the exact size of Oni.exe)?
If the engine treats ingame and out-of-game sounds differently, that can probably be fixed by hacking the engine, even though it's hard and not really urgent.
I mean, can't you set up dxdiag so that it disables sound acceleration just for Oni? And what if you disable it permanently? do some games or apps sound bad?

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 02/12/08 09:02

Iritscen

Interesting.  I tried running Oni.exe in a Windows VM on my Mac the other day, and got no sound whatsoever (in menus or game).  I was just going to post about it.  I guess I should look for a sound acceleration setting somewhere; even if my problem is different, it might help.  Then again, it could be a problem with the VM.

Edit: I turned off hardware sound acceleration and it didn't help; still no sound at all.  But I'm not going to pursue a solution because (a) I can play natively on my Mac, and (b) since it's running in a VM, it's too troublesome for anyone to troubleshoot because it is probably not a problem that can be recreated in Windows on a PC.

Last edited by Iritscen (02/14/08 12:02)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 02/14/08 12:02

seagon

hi i`m new and i have the same problem i hear sound in the menu and i hear in game sounds except voice.
in the training i can hear "hi konoko its me shinatama" after that i hear no voice anymore

#7 02/14/08 12:02

geyser
Website

"I tried running Oni.exe in a Windows VM on my Mac the other day"
Oni's sound format is different for the Mac and PC versions.
So it's no big wonder you can't hear anything at all.

"in the training i can hear "hi konoko its me shinatama" after that i hear no voice anymore"
That's not "the same problem" as Arcticsnake's. Could you give us more details on yours?
Windows and DirectX version, sound card, startup.txt... What if you load other levels? etc.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 02/14/08 13:02

Iritscen

geyser wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

I tried running Oni.exe in a Windows VM on my Mac the other day

Oni's sound format is different for the Mac and PC versions.
So it's no big wonder you can't hear anything at all.

No no, I ran Oni for Windows in a Windows environment (using Parallels).  I can run nearly any Windows program flawlessly.  But since virtual machines aren't perfect, and games are their biggest problem, I'm going to assume that is the reason for the problem and not try to get someone to troubleshoot with me.

#9 02/14/08 13:02

geyser
Website

I wouldn't be surprised if VM fails to emulate Oni's sound environment...
Likewise, sounds can't be heard when running Oni though wine on Linux.

#10 02/14/08 14:02

Iritscen

geyser wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if VM fails to emulate Oni's sound environment...
Likewise, sounds can't be heard when running Oni though wine on Linux.

Really?  Well, that's very interesting.  I just looked it up, and Parallels is built on wine.  Dun-dun-DUNNNNN.  Oh well, I will butt out of this thread now before I totally derail it.

#11 02/14/08 18:02

Ultimatum479

This month, I won't be able to post too much, so I missed this until now. Yeah, I don't know the reason for that sound-on-menu-only glitch, but I do know that removing intro.bik usually seems to fix it for some odd reason. Try that out and get back to us.

Work in progress...

#12 02/15/08 12:02

seagon

hey geyser first i had no ingame sounds and not even the menu sound.
i found a weird setup file there was a option "install y\n" i open it and press y he starts installing sounds  but he just stops at different lvls after trying a few times i try the n then it closes and i had ingame and menu sound but no voice

i have windows xp and directx 9.0c

i think its not my sound cart(i have 3 comps with different sound cart so...)

#13 02/15/08 14:02

geyser
Website

"i found a weird setup file there was a option "install y\n" i open it and press y he starts installing sounds "
That's something very weird indeed. Could you give us more details on how it "installs sounds", please?
What does the interface of that installator look like, what are the messages during installation, etc...
The point is that Bungie's installators typically don't ask about such things as "install the sounds y/n".
(multi-language installators just install the English version first, and then apply localization patches)

"ingame and menu sound but no voice" Isn't some of the level-specific ingame sound missing as well?
(various ambient sounds, ingame music, cutscene sounds: e.g., forklift and truck at the end of level 1)
If sounds are not installed by default (whatever that means), you should definitely add all of them...
So if it adds them level by level (whatever that means), you should just keep pressing "y", I guess neutral

Last edited by geyser (02/15/08 14:02)

#14 02/17/08 01:02

rivalary

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a quick response, I actually waited a few days before checking back because of that, lol. I'm apoligise for that. I'll try what was suggested, thank you guys very much for the help, I'll post my results in a bit!  It's kinda embarrassing, but I don't think I've even given Oni an official patch.  I'll see what's available and try that.  I'm not aware of a way to set up dxdiag to automatically disable sound acceleration, I'll check that out as well. First though, I'll try deleting intro.bik and see what happens. Thanks again!

Update:
No sound at all except music. I hear all the music, during levels and when mission failed happens.
Deleting intro.bik didn't help
Strange, I can't find an official patch anywhere.
I did have to do the XP Blam! patch. I got it from http://oni.bungie.org/help/winxp.html
Ah well, not a big deal turning off acceleration when I want to play.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by rivalary (02/17/08 01:02)

#15 02/17/08 08:02

geyser
Website

So, no ambients and cutscene sounds, no footsteps? So, probably not a localization issue.
(still, maybe tell us what version of Oni you have and where you got it from, just in case)
And a fresh engine didn't help either, so the sounds are apparently broken in the dat/raw.
Weird. Then again, not any weirder than seagon's optional sound installation up there... smile
There is no official pach for the PC. However, there's this: http://wiki.oni2.net/Daodan_DLL

Maybe your copy is Oni is normal and just interacts weirdly with your sound card and DX.
In that case, we may see what the problem is if you post your startup.txt file.
Oni has a few sound-related command-line parameters that have no effect on our systems.
However, they just might be effective on yours. Try -findsounds and -findsoundbinaries.
http://wiki.oni2.net/Customizing#Command-line_arguments

Last edited by geyser (02/17/08 09:02)

Board footer