Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/08/14 14:10

Darth-Furyan

Question regarding Oni PC and Oni comic #0

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but have been a long time Oni fan. I originally bought the game for the PS2 and loved it, replaying it endlessly, and it is one of my favourite PS2 titles (and one of my top games of all time).
Also have to mention, awesome forum/site and community you got here!

So I recently found out there's a PC version and I am looking to purchase one via the power of ebay and greyskull! (Pc master race!) However afaik from reading online, Rockstar only dealt with the PS2 version, whilst Bungie published the PC version, but on ebay the results I get are confusing.

There are a couple of Boxed versions which have the bungie logo which I assume are the original releases of the game, however there are some PC copies that have Take 2 and Rockstar logos on them, but they are cheaper and would be my preference (as the discs look to be in great condition)... my question is: are they legit/real/original copies of the game, republished by rockstar and take2 at some point?
Can't post any links yet, but a quick search on ebay "oni pc bungie" should yield the same results I am getting.

Also another question, does anyone know in which magazines the Oni comic #0 shows up in? I have been looking and for the life of me cannot find out which ones sad
I can tell you the full #0 isn't in the prima guide

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Darth-Furyan (10/08/14 14:10)

Muro Listen Portrait:
"A rough sketch for a fly-in portrait from Alex Okita's sketchpad. Was not used, presumably because Muro doesn't listen." cool

#2 10/08/14 14:10

Iritscen

Re: Question regarding Oni PC and Oni comic #0

Welcome!  You will definitely enjoy the PC version if you liked the PS2 port.  Actually the subject of logos on the boxes is incredibly confusing and I have spent a while trying to figure it out, to no avail.  For some reason the PC boxes sometimes do have Rockstar's logo on them even though Rockstar had nothing to do with them.  See http://wiki.oni2.net/Category:Box_art and you'll notice that the "R*" and "T2" are all over the place.  The "T2" is not odd, though, since they are the publisher for all versions.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 10/08/14 15:10

Darth-Furyan

Iritscen wrote:

Welcome!  You will definitely enjoy the PC version if you liked the PS2 port.  Actually the subject of logos on the boxes is incredibly confusing and I have spent a while trying to figure it out, to no avail.  For some reason the PC boxes sometimes do have Rockstar's logo on them even though Rockstar had nothing to do with them.  See  and you'll notice that the "R*" and "T2" are all over the place.  The "T2" is not odd, though, since they are the publisher for all versions.

Cheers for the welcome and the quick reply! It is confusing indeed, but hey as long as it's an original/legit copy of the game, I don't have any real issues with it.

Here's hoping I can get a fast reply on #0 too now 8o

Last edited by Darth-Furyan (10/08/14 15:10)

Muro Listen Portrait:
"A rough sketch for a fly-in portrait from Alex Okita's sketchpad. Was not used, presumably because Muro doesn't listen." cool

#4 10/08/14 15:10

Iritscen

Ah, I actually don't know the answer to that.  I never saw it in print myself.  I guess I assumed it was printed as its own slim book and had a small circulation.  I haven't heard that it was attached to anything, but it would be interesting if it was.

#5 10/08/14 15:10

Darth-Furyan

Well according to Darkhorse it apparently was tied to some game magazines, as I can't find a single slim book "on it's own" version of #0, I have 1,2 and 3 though.
The prima guide says it has a preview, so it's only got 4 of the pages of #0

can't post links yet, but if you search Oni on the Darkhorse website and go to issue #0 it says the following

This issue #0 was bagged into several popular video game magazines and is unavailable from anywhere else.

Muro Listen Portrait:

#6 10/08/14 16:10

Iritscen

Aha.  I've subscribed to GameInformer for a long time, but not quite that long, so if it was in there (the #1 US VG magazine), I missed it.  Well, we have the scans of #0 on the wiki, as you probably know.

#7 10/12/14 05:10

Darth-Furyan

So managed to answer my own question regarding comic #0. Found a very old website with the information:

Watch for the release of Dark Horse's comic-book adaptation of Rockstar Games' Oni; issue #1 hits the stands February 14, and the three-issue series will continue monthly after that. Also, thanks to a cool deal with Rockstar, GamePro, and Gamer's Republic, a special #0 of the Oni comic-book will be included in the March issue of both magazines.

So apparently issue #0 was published/released after the first issue, in March 2001 and came as part of the GamePro and Gamer's Republic magazine release for that month.

So with a quick ebay search, I managed to find a sealed march 2001 issue with the comic!  cool

Last edited by Darth-Furyan (10/12/14 14:10)

Muro Listen Portrait:

#8 10/12/14 05:10

Iritscen

Interesting, it came out after the actual comics?  Probably an accident because of the time it takes for a magazine to be laid out and sent to press.

#9 10/12/14 07:10

Darth-Furyan

Well the quoted portion is apparently from a Darkhorse flash webpage back in the day, with that statement on it.
So apparently #1 and possibly #2 came out before #0 lol.

In other news, got my PC version, and I must say it definitely plays better, it's much easier to nail a 100% score on the training missions without the terrible analogue sticks, which have the oddest sensitivity settings on the ps2 version lol.
Although trying to pull off a crescent moon kick is a pain, might be the bug mentioned in the wiki.

EDIT: besides the AE which I plan on looking into, are there any official patches for the game?

Last edited by Darth-Furyan (10/12/14 07:10)

Muro Listen Portrait:

#10 10/12/14 08:10

Lithium

AFAIK there's no official patches. Enjoy the mods!

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#11 10/12/14 14:10

Darth-Furyan

Cheers for the answer.
Any recommendations on the mods?

Muro Listen Portrait:

#12 10/12/14 16:10

Iritscen

It depends on what kind of things you want.  There's some nice little tweaks and twists to gameplay to be found under the Animations category when you browse mods in the AE installer.  Some all-new levels under the New Level category.  And everything in-between, in terms of scale.  Lots of scripts to play.  I'm fond of the HD Screens under Textures, myself.

#13 10/12/14 16:10

Lithium

For me, HD screens, HD skies, blood, character texture improvements, etc, minor cosmetic changes at first. After that I will recommend custom characters by our users here, mostly Samer's, and finally custom levels and such.

#14 10/12/14 17:10

Iritscen

Whatever you do, just don't install a ton of stuff at once.

#15 10/12/14 17:10

Lithium

:^ yolo

#16 10/12/14 18:10

Knox

Lithium wrote:

:^ yolo

No.  smile

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#17 10/13/14 15:10

Samer
Website

And A LOT OF NEW CHARACTERS tongue edit: like Lithium mentioned.
TRY SMP-Megapack and Wilderness Preserve Level smile
you may also want to Play as  Motoko, Casey, Sarai and many other cool characters .. check my youtube channel here to see previews of many different mods https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtTcOh … rXzMmWt6xA

Last edited by Samer (10/13/14 15:10)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#18 10/14/14 14:10

Darth-Furyan

Thanks for all the feedback, can't wait to try out all the interesting stuff!

Motoko from GitS?  yikes  Awesome!

Muro Listen Portrait:

#19 10/14/14 15:10

Lithium

Aye from Gits

#20 10/22/14 14:10

Darth-Furyan

So quick update, managed to get my #0 so thought I'd share a few images  cool

omTluQ4l.jpg

You'll notice that #0 is smaller than the other comics, as is standard with freebie/preview comics.
oqvs9Dfl.jpg

There are 2 variants of Comic #1, a standard one and a DF exclusive aka Darth-Furyan exclusive  cool
vjj3PmMl.jpg

I wish lol
It's a Dynamic Force exclusive... no clue on that, but it comes with a certificate.
XXiEYtnl.jpg?1

Lithium wrote:

Aye from Gits

Awesome!

Last edited by Darth-Furyan (10/24/14 13:10)

Muro Listen Portrait:

#21 10/22/14 14:10

Iritscen

Ah, yes, we have both cover variants on the wiki.  I wonder if you would be able to help us fill in the missing page 19 in issue 1?  I only realized it was missing when I re-organized the comic scans in February: http://wiki.oni2.net/Category:Dark_Horse_comic_issue_1

#22 10/22/14 14:10

Darth-Furyan

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner atm, but I could take a shoddy phone camera pic

Muro Listen Portrait:

#23 10/22/14 15:10

Lithium

That's awesome

#24 10/22/14 16:10

Iritscen

A lot of the scans on the wiki are pretty bad anyway, so even a clear photo would be helpful smile

#25 10/24/14 13:10

Darth-Furyan

So just read through #1, and you're not missing any pages, you have the full comic on there excluding the advert pages.

Lithium wrote:

That's awesome

It is indeed! But not as awesome as Konoko  cool

Last edited by Darth-Furyan (10/24/14 13:10)

Muro Listen Portrait:

Board footer