Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/23/14 05:04

Skorm92

Regarding Oni Flatline

Hi there community!

I've been playing Oni since launch already, And IMO it's still one of the best games out there.
hopelessly i've been browsing the internet for a remake, a sequel or anything similar.
And the mods that improve the graphics and models are awesome as they are, But I rather have a new storyline or something like it.

Hell I even tried to mod some stuff myself but the lack of knowledge is killing me at the basic steps already.

I've also found out about oni flatline (yeah, kinda late.. I know)
But it seems kinda dead to me. Since mariusnet doesn't show oni anywhere on their website.

Is it possible to emulate a Oni flatline server on a new server? (Or local server)

Cheers!

#2 04/23/14 07:04

Iritscen

Re: Regarding Oni Flatline

I'm not really able to offer any support for Flatline since I'm on a Mac, but I can clarify a couple things.  Mariusnet is a metaserver, not a server.  You might realize this already, but the difference in terms is important because metaservers list servers.  Flatline does not use dedicated servers, but rather listen servers ("player as host"), so you will not see any servers listed on Mariusnet until someone starts hosting from their computer.

Mariusnet was being experimentally used by Flatline to list Flatline games (servers), however because Flatline was still in alpha, I don't believe the developer Gumby ever asked Mnet to add Oni as a game on the Mnet site alongside Marathon and Myth.  Behind the scenes, he was simply using the Marathon lobby for the Oni games until Flatline was mature enough to deserve an official listing on Mnet.

Since then, Mnet had various troubles, and last I heard, it was actually dead, but I see that it's currently up again.  As long as that's the case, and they haven't changed the software, Flatline should still be able to list games through Mnet, however you will only be able to see them from within Oni when hosting and joining games because of the lack of "official" support for Oni on Mnet.

However, I thought it was possible to still join a game by direct IP address.  If so, you don't need to use Mnet at all, and simply need to know the host's IP address and enter that on the console line.  I'm not sure what the syntax is for that.  If you need to know what commands to use to start a game, I will look into that.

An additional obstacle is that Flatline is not really supported by the current Daodan DLL due to technical difficulties, so you might need an older copy of the DLL to play Flatline.  Alloc knows more about that than I do; I'll ask him if he has anything to add.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/23/14 07:04

Skorm92

Hell of an reply, thank you.

Well, I guess if it is run on metaserver, the chance of finding another user to play with is less than 4% tongue
Thanks for the reply anyway, I guess I have to keep myself satisfied with mods and such smile

#4 04/23/14 07:04

Iritscen

Well, if Oni were listed on Mnet, you could theoretically check the "Oni" listings and see if anyone was hosting.  It's true that Flatline doesn't use dedicated servers, however that's true of Marathon and Myth too, and you can still catch the ephemeral servers for those roughly 5-20 minute games if you check the listings frequently enough.

Anyway, in Flatline's case, you're correct that you can't just expect to find a game ongoing, not only because the games are not listed on the Mnet web site, but also because nobody is really playing Flatline on a regular basis.  You would have to arrange a game with a friend over chat and exchange the IP address for whoever is hosting.

I found a build here which I think has the last version of Flatline from 2011: http://www.gumby.oni2.net/daodan/binkw32.dll.  Unfortunately this probably falls under the the tech support category of "DIY", as there's not much we can do to help if it doesn't work.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer