Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/22/14 23:03

Vadell Gabriel

Mod ideas in my head (Warning: Long & detailed OP!)

It's late here, and I've been having these ideas going through my head for about a month or two now. I have no modding skills, but if I could make this happen somehow, I could definitely create music for it. big_smile Anyhow, this is basically a authorization of a brainstorm I've been having about a two part story in an alternate Oni-verse, and I could use some opinions on it. Here we go...

Oni's Game of Death:

- First and foremost, Obviously inspired by Bruce Lee's (unfinished) movie
- 5 floor level, with 6 bosses (Muro being the penultimate)
-Urban-ish Level, unsure what type of music should it have (I'm leaning towards hip-hop/ R&B, but I'm open to suggestions).
-Bosses (subject to change, in order): Kojiro, Fury, Mukade, Barabas, Giant clone (This is representative of the original GoD:
The protagonist faces a villian who is not only twice their size, but has an identical fighting technique. May need
external weaknesses).
- Will fight a couple wave of mooks before boss battles. The higher the floor, the tougher the mooks.
- Nashi will be A.I. controlled.
- Game of Death is in a different continuity that is closer to current times. Also, While Konoko, Griffin, and the TCTF
will have an important role, none of them will be playable unless switched through cheating.

Story:

The game stars a character named Lee Frazier, an African-Canadian teenager who (among others) was granted superpowers
after an incident involving highly experimental gas. Sometime after, he developed both spider and energy-based powers,
and became the vigilante known as Arachna, helped out by his best friend, and immortal mentor, Nashi.
Roughly over a year after he started vigilantism, He starts encountering members of a terrorist group called "The Syndicate,"
Which cause havoc all over Canada and parts of the U.S., as well as develops illegal weapons and metahumans-
doused with the same chemicals that gave Lee his powers. Here, they encounter Muro and his "Skull Team"
(Kojiro, Tanker, Fury) for the first time. They effortlessly clean house, but Muro escapes.
Also around this time,the UN officially deployed the fledgeling TCTF to crack down on the rising influx of
metahumans and illegal superweapons in North America. Inevitably, Lee and Nashi begin clashing with the force,
eventually going head to head with their top officers: Konoko and Casey Griffin.
After the final confrontation, a truce is made, though Lee and Nashi remain suspicious of the TCTF's true motives.
After a few team up missions, A semi-uneventful month passes, in which Lee begins digging up some info on the TCTF*,
Though he became friends with Casey, Konoko and Shinatama at this point. However, his info dig comes to an abrupt halt
when he learns that Muro had taken Casey hostage into a Syndicate compound in Toronto. Konoko and a team of
Black ops soldiers were sent in, but the Skull team had received some "upgrades," slaughtering the entire team, sans
Konoko, who barely managed to escape. Secretly fearing what Muro might do to his son, Griffin asks Lee and Nashi to
rescue Casey. And thus begins the penultimate "Game of Death"...

* Said info won't be revealed until "36 Chambers."

Oni's 36 chambers (AKA, Enter the Wu-Tang Clan):

- Takes place several months after "Game of Death."
- "Info" on the TCTF's true purpose will be revealed.
- Will feature the Wu-Tang Clan
- Definite Hip-Hop music vibe (You can't have the Wu without their music tongue I plan on self-producing some music though)
- RZA will be a composite character of himself and his blacksmith character from "The Man With The Iron Fists."
- Konoko, Casey, Shinatama, and Nashi are all playable this time around in some missions, however Lee will have to face the
chambers on his own. Beating all 36 will allow you to switch between them during the chamber fights.
- Wu-Tang not initially playable, however they will teach Lee their "forbidden techniques," and can be unlocked by
beating all 36 chambers.
- LeeX? romance? possibly...

Story (secret "info" sub-plot not included):

Six months after the brutal "Game of Death," Lee and Nashi are back to their usual routine. Muro remains at large, having
escaped the compound before Lee and the TCTF could get the drop on him. Not long after, Griffin figured out Lee's civilian
identity, and started keeping extra tabs on him, much to Lee's annoyance. After a surprise encounter with some Syndicate
goons, Lee is confronted by a monstrous metahuman that completely strips him of his powers. Lee is ultimately sidelined,
while Nashi picks up the slack. Another month after this happens, a mysterious vigilante only known as "The Man With the
Iron Fists" finds Lee, and informs him of Muro's whereabouts. offers to train him in the "Way of the Wu-Tang."
Skeptical at first, Lee declines, however he is eventually confronted by the Man again, this time bringing the entire
Wu-Tang Clan with him, and revealing himself as RZA. After witnessing their skill, Lee accepts.
Another three months pass with Lee powerless. His Wu-Tang training upgraded his skills and strength, but not yet to the point
where he could take on metahumans again. He and Nashi were casually sparring at TCTF headquarters when an explosion goes off.
The Syndicate attacks the TCTF HQ with some heavily mutated metahumans, including the one that stripped Lee's powers.
The crew fights valiantly, but are eventually overpowered, leading to Lee getting knocked out.
When he comes to, He's in a Wu-Tang safe house with Griffin and Nashi. The Clan informs him that Muro has been
kidnapping other metahumans and doing further experiments on them, mutating them further and making them more powerful,
Among them, Casey and Konoko. On top of that, he was planning to poison the earth with toxins and nuclear radiation
to force people to pay him to live. Lee then sets of for China's mythical "36 chambers", where Muro is nearly ready to
set off his plan...

Character list:

Coming Soon...

#2 03/23/14 20:03

EdT
Website

Re: Mod ideas in my head (Warning: Long & detailed OP!)

Welcome to OCF.  It is nice to have member that can create music.

You have really given a lot of thought to this story/mod.  I have not seen the movie Game of Death, so I'm not familiar with 36 chambers.

The mod is possible, though it will take a lot of work and a long period of time, perhaps 6 months to a year. The level's geometry will likely be made from scratch, probably the new characters too. The "forbidden techniques" will require new animations.  Then it will need to be scripted.

If you can find some artwork that supports your idea, that will be useful.

#3 03/24/14 11:03

Vadell Gabriel

EdT wrote:

Welcome to OCF.  It is nice to have member that can create music.

You have really given a lot of thought to this story/mod.  I have not seen the movie Game of Death, so I'm not familiar with 36 chambers.

The mod is possible, though it will take a lot of work and a long period of time, perhaps 6 months to a year. The level's geometry will likely be made from scratch, probably the new characters too. The "forbidden techniques" will require new animations.  Then it will need to be scripted.

If you can find some artwork that supports your idea, that will be useful.

Well, I do plan on whipping up some rough concepts this week, maybe. Also, it wouldn't have to be entirely from scratch:

- Some levels take place in a city. There's a city level mod in the A.E., I could use that if I got permission.

- The original Game of Death took place inside a 5-level padoga (ex: hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0HWhf7iiho). The penultiamte level in the Oni version would be in a tall, factory-like building/warehouse to keep in line with the cyberpunk/industrial theme of the original game. So I reckon various assets from some of the labatory levels could be used.

- There IS a movie about the 36 chambers (you can find it easily on youtube under "36 camber of shaolin"), and thus is where the idea for the second part comes from. I've played the "Old China" mod in A.E., so the exterior could be similar to that. The interior chambers would likely have to be made from scratch though...

- As for why I've have a lot of detail for a bare bones project, I'm always thinking of various stories with characters in my head, sometimes mashing them up with different series, as is the case here. When i get a story going, I always revise the scenarios in my head to make sure they make sense before I write em down. And even when they're in print, I still revise on the fly.

- On new moves:As mentioned in the OP, Lee's power-set features both electricity based powers, and a Spider-Man esque moveset. I could likely scratch wall crawling and web swinging, as they'd probably be a hassle to script in Oni (I've seen it done in GTA, but I'm 99% sure GTA scripting works radically differently than Oni's).

- As for his moveset with powers, I was thinking Lee's up-close strikes could stun an opponet with electricity, ala the Van De Graff (is that how you spell it??) pistol, and far away projectiles could work like the Mercury bow somehow. It's likely complicated to do such a thing, so this is only for the drawing board. Nashi wouldn't be a probelm, since he's basically Mukdake, but with more strength.

- Also, would it be possile to have lee be able to fly around on a metal saucer in-game? (Ala Static Shock - I'll post examples after I'm home from work)

- Also, the five rooms in GoD would represent the villan's personality. The chambers will take it a step higher, and have various gimmicks for Lee to overcome in additon to the bosses: Fighting over acid, time limit boss, laser traps, parkour, ect.

...And I think that's it for now. tongue I'll have some concept art whipped up soon.

#4 03/29/14 16:03

Vadell Gabriel

I finally have some concepts to show (forgive the crappy art, it's not my strongest point tongue):

Game of Death - Arachna vs. Tanker:

arachna_concept_2_by_sjacko-d7c43t4.jpg

36 Chambers - Acid pit fight:

moar_concept_arts_by_sjacko-d7c431i.jpg

And more concepts of Vadell/Arachna:

arachna___concept_by_sjacko-d7c42lw.jpg

Not the best art, but it's something tongue Also, more arena ideas for the 36 Chambers:

Darkness: It won't be pitch black, but it'll be hard to see your opponent, let alone hit him. Oh, and the boss can teleport too. wink

Similar to the acid pit idea, instead you're over a bottomless pit.

Mortal Kombat: Well, no Fatalities here, but you'll end up facing a character from the games (likely Scorpion. Or Shao Khan).

Static: Electric floors that turn on and off. You'll need to be quick on your feet to avoid power surges, not to mention shots from Mercury Bow snipers.

Quick Draw: A straight up gun fight. Multiple weapons are scattered around the chamber, but the enemy has the advantage by using automated turrets.

Mary Poppins: Low gravity, basically.

Boss rush: All bosses (sans Muro) from Game of Death are fought at once.

Electric Relaxation: This chamber involves taking out super powered mooks while trying to disable the security systems protecting the boss.

Sexy, But Deadly: Compromises entirely of Furies. The GoD Fury is the penultimate one.

Motherf**kin Mukade: Multiple clones of him appear.

World Championship Wrestling: A 3 on 1 battle against a group of Tankers.

Dadoan Imago Madness: Mukade, Barabas, AND Mutant Muro all trying to take shots at you at once.

Underwater Blues: Take a wild guess...

And last but not least, the (current) Game of Death boss and mook line up:

Floor 1: Kojiro & the "static fist" strikers

Floor 2: The Furies

Floor 3: Tanker, Barabas, & Heavy Strikers

Floor 4: Mukade & Ninjas

Floor 5: "Clone" fighter & Muro.

And again, that's all for now, aside from a little bit of dialogue script I'm working on lol. What do you guys think?

#5 04/05/14 23:04

Vadell Gabriel

I hope I'm not driving ya'll crazy with all these posts, but I'd thought I'd share some pieces of dialogue script I've been writing fro Game of Death. Here's a scene at TCTF HQ with Lee, Casey, and Shinatama:

Casey: What're you doing here?

Lee: It doesn't concern you. I need to see to your boss.

Casey: It does concern me. You usually don't show up here for... civilized discussion.

Lee: Says the guy who ambushed a defenceless kid twice. And don't try to justify it 'cause you were "following orders", 'cause you know I've never done it to you at all.

Casey: ...Fair enough. But that still doesn't explain why you're suddenly demanding to see Griffin?

Lee: Well, it's kinda complicated...

Shinitama: What are you doing here?

Lee: Huh? Who are you?

Casey: That's Shinatama, our resident SLD. Don't worry, he comes in peace.

Lee: SLD? You mean those android things they be talking about on the news?

Shinatama: That's correct.

Lee: Huh. I would've pictured you much younger than you look.

Shinatama: Sigh... Yeah, I get that a lot.

Here's a pre battle scene:

Lee: Oh lord, it's Chuck Norris and Wolverine.

Konoko: Wolverine?

Lee: G'yeah! Just look at your hair! It looks exactly like his!

Casey: It kinda does, to be honest...

Konoko: Stuff it, Casey. Let's just get this job done and over with.

And finally, some banter with Muro and Lee:

Muro: I'm impressed with your tenacity. You actually managed to destroy all of my best fighters. I'm almost temped to offer you a job as my right hand man.

Lee: I'll get back to you on that later. Right now, how about you abort this plan of yours before I get Mortal Kombat on your ass?

Muro: Heh. That's you main downfall, little boy. You may have the skills to help back up your mouth, but you're still human. You're not going to admit it, but you're exhausted from fighting your way up this building. Electricity may be bent under your will, but like a battery, you'll need to recharge eventually. courageous as you might be, your body is too tired to continue fighting like this.

Lee: Says the fool who spent the entire time cowering from his mortal enemy behind a wall of mooks. I'll commend you on your attitude though. Most villains are shrieking drama queens by this point.

Muro: Defiant to the end, are you? For a kid that's capable of so much, you chose this path. Don't you know that no matter how much good a hero does for the people, they always die a meaningless death? To be forgotten by the masses within a blink of an eye? You'e a fool if you think you can truly make change to this world.

Lee: And don't you know villains who overly monologue for way too long end up getting their asses whipped by a girl?

Muro: What-- *Muro is suddenly attacked by Konoko, who broke through the window to get to him.*

Konoko: Gotcha. Your game's over, Muro.

Muro: How... does he... do that...?

What do you think? smile

#6 04/07/14 21:04

EdT
Website

Sorry for being late in my comments, I've been occupied with real life.

You have some really good ideas for your mod.  Though some ideas are not possible, such as wall climbing, web swinging, flying around in a saucer, low gravity and underwater blues.

There is no problem in using stuff from City or Old China, since I made those mods smile

#7 04/08/14 08:04

Iritscen

Unfortunately game engines have a way of raining on one's parade when you imagine neat stuff and then have to figure out how to actually implement it smile  You might be surprised at how much work it takes to do something simple.  And since your ideas are not totally based in Oni's world, it would be hard to convince a group of people to help you with the modding.  But by all means, let us know if you have questions on modding.  There's a lot of documentation on the wiki and forum if you search around.  It's best to start with a modest idea and then work your way up from there in complexity.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#8 04/08/14 14:04

Vadell Gabriel

Iritscen wrote:

Unfortunately game engines have a way of raining on one's parade when you imagine neat stuff and then have to figure out how to actually implement it smile  You might be surprised at how much work it takes to do something simple.  And since your ideas are not totally based in Oni's world, it would be hard to convince a group of people to help you with the modding.  But by all means, let us know if you have questions on modding.  There's a lot of documentation on the wiki and forum if you search around.  It's best to start with a modest idea and then work your way up from there in complexity.

Hey, it is what it is: concepts. Sure, most of it isn't possible, but I can work within the games limits if I gotta. I wouldn't know how to recruit people though...

36 chambers, for the time being is actually quite ambitious, so I think I'd have to put that aside for now. I think Game of Death would be more grounded, as you're basically fighting through a city, and eventually fighting your way up a five-floor building of bosses and mooks. While like you said, it would require extensive work, most of the assets that I would probably need (sans the extra character models) are already there in the game.

#9 04/08/14 20:04

EdT
Website

Think about how you want the level to look like.  How many buildings will need interiors, the layout of the city blocks, location of the final 5 floor building.  Once you have a map of how the level will be, let me know, I should be able to add it to the city mod, since I have so much empty space in it smile

#10 04/12/14 16:04

Vadell Gabriel

okay, so I don't have a traditional map layout ready, but here's a few places that I've been looking at:

16lw9za.jpg
This interior here could be Lee's apartment or such. maybe some extra furniture, and you'll have a decent living room.

6ypphk.jpg
Okay, so I know a big chunk of this is from Mudake's level, but I wasn't sure if this was the regional state building or not. There could be an interior in there. if it's not, please disregard tongue

2yuyv0k.jpg
I can only assume this big empty space is where the TCTF HQ would be. That'll definitely have interiors, assuming it's in the next city mod release of course tongue.

I have more ideas for layouts, but I won't be posting them here till I get a more effective way of taking screenshots tongue. Until then, that's all for now.

#11 04/12/14 19:04

Iritscen

What's wrong with your screenshot method?  It seems pretty effective, although it does look like Konoko is falling in some of these smile  You should turn off collision: http://wiki.oni2.net/Dev_Mode#Camera_controls

#12 04/12/14 21:04

Vadell Gabriel

Iritscen wrote:

What's wrong with your screenshot method?  It seems pretty effective, although it does look like Konoko is falling in some of these smile  You should turn off collision: http://wiki.oni2.net/Dev_Mode#Camera_controls

Yeah, I was using Hypercam to record it, then take screenshots in Windows Movie Maker, which was very tedious, to say the least (Hypercam "supports" screenshots, but every time I try, nothing happens, so I had to record footage of the game for it to work). Also, I used the jet pack cheat to get those shots in the first place, hence the "falling." I'll have to look into how to do it in dev mode. Thanks for the link.

#13 04/12/14 22:04

Iritscen

Ah.  You can also bind a screenshot key in key_config.txt (F13 by default)  wink

#14 04/15/14 18:04

Vadell Gabriel

Iritscen wrote:

Ah.  You can also bind a screenshot key in key_config.txt (F13 by default)  wink

I would have less gray hairs on my head now if I had known that before getting hypercam...

Anyway, more scenario and building placements (!!):

24ll99u.jpg
This alleyway is where Lee and Nashi encounter the TCTF for the first time. Only standard TCTF officers would spawn here. It'd be like the warehouse: A trial run.

dxnuqr.jpg
This one is on the rooftops where the big TV screens are. Not sure how technically feasible it would be, but I had the idea that TCTF troopers would start spawning there, and Lee would have to fight his way through several of them only to encounter Konoko and Casey at Mukade's boss area.

pps1k.jpg
That red and gray building... I was thinking it'd be a legit front for the Syndacite (Think Bad Guys International, but not as blatantly evil). Lee would break in here and go down  a certain level of floors till he confronts Muro and the Skull Team.

2qdwxgn.jpg
As for this random shot, It would be where I'd put TCTF HQ. though that's still up for a final decision along with the location of the final boss building.

And now, I'm off to finish the dialogue! see ya'll soon.

#15 04/16/14 10:04

EdT
Website

Have you thought how the player will travel to each location?  For example after the alley encounter what happens next, where does it occur and how do we get there?

It might be better to add a new section to the city, with all your buildings near each other.

It is good to start off with an outline of your mod. What will happen from start to finish.  Then you can think how to layout the environment, building locations, etc.  Then you can draw me a map of the mod and I can try my best to make it for you.

#16 04/19/14 21:04

Vadell Gabriel

Okay, I got my outline here, bear in mind this is still not the final revison:

Mission one: Lee is chasing Kojiro through the streets. After they get by the "unfinished"
building with support beams, he disappears. Not long after that, low-level TCTF officers come up to him and order
him under arrest for When Lee points out they aren't actual cops and can't arrest him, they pull out guns,
and he starts running away. They chase him until he gets to that alleyway, where he's cornered by more officers.
Lee beats all the officers and is chased by reinforcements until he manages to lose them, and goes to his apartment.

Mission two: Lee is merely sitting on a rooftop, thinking to himself. His danger sense goes off, and barely doges a
mercury bow shot from another rooftop. Once he takes out the sniper, more officers appear, demanding he turn himself in.
He refuses, of course, and another brawl ensues. Each rooftop is covered with about two or 3 black ops agents, attacking him
until he reaches a low building, where Casey confronts him. However, Syndicate ninjas show up, forcing them to work together to stay alive.

Mission three: About three days after encountering the TCTF, Lee is on a normal patrol at night (the setting doesn't quite matter if the skybox can't be
changed), when he spots the same Syndicate enemy he chased a few days ago. He goes after him again, and chases him into a building. Strikers immediately
ambush him, and try to go for the alarm. After beating the strikers, He goes through the building, hacking consoles for information, and beating up guards. He
learns about Muro's experiments with the Dadoan chrysalis, and the different effects it causes to its host. Eventually, Lee finds Kojiro, and chases him,
eventually going into a room. Here, Muro is shown for the first time, and they exchange words. Muro unleashes the Skull Team on Lee, but he beats them. Lee
then goes to confront Muro, but he escapes.

Mission four: Takes place two weeks after the last fight. Lee is talking to an informant on the street about the Syndicate. The informant doesn't know a lot, but
tells Lee that they have a front in the city that handles technology. Lee goes to track down the lead, but the TCTF rolls up on him again, forcing him to go back
to the rooftops. This time, they're more prepared for him, and have several Gold and Black Ops troops waiting for him on some rooftops. Unable to go to his
apartment with the TCTF after him, he dukes it out with them on each rooftop until he gets to where Mukade's boss spot was, and is confronted by Konoko
and Casey. However, Furies show up, and proceed to attack them. they beat them, and gets one of them to talk. They learn that there's a Syndicate front in his
city  called Nova Tech, and finds out the location of the building. At this point, Konoko explains the reason why they've been attacking him: Their force was
created to stop the sharp increase of metahumans and illegal weapons, and were ordered to arrest him. Lee rips them, saying he's been doing his best to keep
everyone in the city out of danger from the Syndicate, and that there are metahumans that are just trying to live normal lives. At this, they decide to call a truce
with Lee.

Mission five: Lee goes to TCTF HQ to get more information on Nova Tech and the Syndicate. Officers are initially hostile, until he manages to explain himself to
Griffin and co. This level is more about just exploring the HQ than actual action. After talking to Griffin and Casey, He meets Shinitama, And she tells him what
consoles have the info he needs. During his search, he accidentally stumbles on information indicating that Konoko may have the Dadoan symbiote. Shocked,
he keeps this information to himself, and hacks into a restricted access terminal. There, he learns Konoko and Muro are actually brother and sister, and that
their father and uncle were the ones who created the Dadoan.  Lee goes to Dr. Kerr and Shinatama to confirm this, and they tell him it's true. They also tell him
about the true existence of the TCTF: The UN created the force in order to capture metahumans and use them for their own military missions. And thanks to
Lee's Canada-wide noriety, he was a high-priority target. Lee naturally flips out and, in blind fury, punches Kerr... In sight of a TCTF officer. Lee takes off
running from the  Golden troops, and manages to escape the HQ alive.

Mission six: Takes place a month and a half after the last mission. Lee is still bitter with with the TCTF, though he apologized to Kerr and Shinitama. Lee is in
his apartment sitting down when his danger sense goes off, and receives a distress signal from the TCTF HQ. Lee is skeptical and stays in his apartment, until
he receives another distress signal from Shinitama begging him to go to the HQ. He arrives, and sees both Konoko brutally beaten up and unconscious.
Shinitama explains that they had located Muro's true base of operations, and sent in a strike team to raid it. However, most of Muro's top henchman were given
greatly enhanced Dadoan symbiotes, ended up slaughtering the entire team except Casey and Konoko, who managed to escape. Griffin then asks Lee to rescue
Casey, but Lee snaps at him, saying why should he, citing all the trouble he and other metahumans had gotten from the TCTF, as well as their ulterior motives.
Kerr retorts by saying while he doesn't agree with the force's tactics, Muro could possibly wipe out a good portion of North America with the combination of his
super soldiers and advanced weaponry. After some coaxing from Shinitama, Lee goes off to Muro's base...

The Game of Death:

Floor 1: Kojiro.

Lee quickly storms in the building. Kojiro, who did not expect Lee to show up by himself, orders his henchmen strikers to kill Lee. Lee makes quick work of the
comguys, and proceeds to beat Kojiro into a pulp.

Floor 2: Furies.

Lee comes up to the second floor, making his presence known by taunting the Furies. The minor furies, in much larger number than the comguys, immediately
blitz him. Lee takes them out and then faces off with the Grey Fury.

Floor 3: Tanker & Barabas.

Muro, who witnessed Lee wipe out the first two floors, confronts Lee personally on the third. Muro, impressed with his skills, offers Lee a a high rank in the
Syndicate. Lee rejects it, and punches Muro. Unfazed, Muro orders Barabas and Grey Tanker to kill Lee.

Floor 4: Mukade & Ninjas.

Lee, feeling exhausted at this point, is ambushed by two of Mukade's henchmen. After a hard battle with them, more ninjas start appearing. Eventually Lee 
gets fed up and starts heading to the fifth floor. Mukade teleports in front of him, however, and begins to fight him.

Floor 5-A: ???

It's unknown who this character is yet. However, they will give Lee the hardest time fighting, have a similar fighting style, and is the only enemy thus far that
can legitimately intimidate him.

Floor 5-B: Muro.

Once again, Muro and Lee face off. Muro acknowledges Lee's skills and tenacity, but points out that he is exhausted from fighting all of his subordinates. Lee
says he doesn't care, stating "If I'mma go down, then I'm gonna guara-damn-tee you're going with me!" Another fight breaks out, however, Muro teleports
away before Lee can lay the killing blow.

The Fallout:

The TCTF comes in as Lee has finished freeing Casey. Griffin sincerely apologizes for the actions of the force as a whole, and thanks him for rescuing Casey.
Lee also regains the respect of Konoko, Casey, and the rest of the TCTF personel. At the end, Shinitama and Lee are talking in the HQ. Lee casually asks
Shinitama if she would like to go out sometime. Shinitama merely laughs and kisses him on the cheek.

Aaaaand that's the outline! As for the map, like you said, I was going to leave it mostly unchanged, as mission 4 was going to use a similar rooftop path as the city parkour mod used, but have it re-arranged slightly to place the new buildings.

As for how he gets to and from places, I'm still unsure. I was thinking I could stick with parkour until I have a better solution.

So what do ya'll think of this so far?

#17 04/22/14 12:04

EdT
Website

That is a great outline.  Now remember in Oni there is a maximum of 10 savepoints. Currently you have 6 missions and the fallout, that will use 7 savepoints, that leaves 3 for the game of death.

Also, you have a lot of conversations between characters, how do you plan on showing them?

#18 04/22/14 14:04

paradox-01

Just an idea: you could split the whole thing so that you get two levels.
One for the stroy and one for the actual GoD plus the ending (Fallout).

Last edited by paradox-01 (04/22/14 14:04)

#19 04/22/14 15:04

Vadell Gabriel

EdT wrote:

That is a great outline.  Now remember in Oni there is a maximum of 10 savepoints. Currently you have 6 missions and the fallout, that will use 7 savepoints, that leaves 3 for the game of death.

Also, you have a lot of conversations between characters, how do you plan on showing them?

I was actually going to pose that question to Samer at some point. His "Wilderness Preserve" level and mega pack conversion had cutscenes and conversations that were activated during actual realtime gameplay, instead of the screen getting cropped as how traditional cutscenes in the game are done.

Paradox-01 wrote:

Just an idea: you could split the whole thing so that you get two levels.
One for the story and one for the actual GoD plus the ending (Fallout).

That could actually be a good way to get around those save point limits. Thanks for the suggestion.

#20 04/28/14 17:04

Samer
Website

Hi .. I got your email ... but I'm gonna answer it here, (easier for me to read your posts and quote and link stuff)

You'd probably be the best person to ask, so...
I don't know if you saw the ceative works forum, but I've been posting concepts for a potential mod called "Game of Death." Problem is, I don't know a damn lick of how to do code tongue I was wondering if you could help a guy out and give him some pointers for Oni modding and such. smile

Also: How'd you do cutscenes in some of your mods? I noticed some of them were done in realtime gameplay. How'd you do that?

1. I have read some of the posts, I'm currently on an Oni hiatus sort of ... so I can't say I've read everything tongue but you seem very creative and ambitious. (so I'm sorry if some of the points I mention have already been mentioned in the above posts) ... I'm also glad you included some of the custom characters smile
Have you checked my mod fight club ? it's a bit similar ... you fight rounds of increasing difficulties in different areas. check it out .. you might find it useful for "coding" or inspiration.

2. coding is a very broad term .. it depends on what you want to do ... and I'm not the best person to ask about coding ..
you should get yourself familiar with the different areas/
what we do can be split into like 3 broad categories
modding using xml
modding using other programs like xsi mod tool, photoshop
modding using bsl

first thing you want to do is downlaod Vago Gui this will make converting files from oni format to other formats easier.

I'll give an example : Characters .. taking casey as example ... there's a file called ONCCcasey.oni ... this holds sort of links to other info about the character. find the file called ONCCcasey.oni in the package and convert it to xml then open the xml in a note editor ... you'll see a lot of info in it.
there's a link somewhere to TRBScasey this is the model of the character which was made on a 3D modeling program called xsi mod tools as dae file then converted to oni. you'll find a link to a TRMA file TRMAcasey .. if you convert this file to xml you'll find links in it to TXMPfiles ... these are texture files which can be converted to jpg, tga or png and edited with photoshop for example and then converted back to oni. there's a link in the ONCC to a TRAC file .. if you convert and edit this file you'll find links in it to TRAM files (different than TRMA mentioned before) each TRAM file is a move ... a TRAM file can be converted to xml and will contain info about what combo it links to, damage values, particles attached to it etc ..

for levels for example there's a different set of files there's also a file that holds all the info about the level, there's a file for the geometry, files for the textures files for particles in the level, files for trigger volumes, files for furniture\objects etc ...

for cutscenes and events that occur in the actual gameplay ... this is done by bsl .. which is a set of commands written to take place one after the other or at the same time
example from my wilderness preserve level

dmsg("[y.Jamie: We've been over this James...]")
sleep 200
chr_animate jamie KONOKOact_give 100
dmsg("[y. We HAVE to do this !]")
sleep 250
chr_animate 0 COMGUYact_talk2 200
ai2_lookatchar kerr 0
dmsg("[James: but honey, think of Mai and Muro... what if something happened to us ?!")
sleep 250

this for example makes a message appear on as screen, then waits for a while, makes jamie play a certain animation, talk again and a second message appears : "we have to do this", then waits again and makes the player animate (player is james in this case), look at kerr and then another message appears.
if you like check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTYNjsb … Fs&index=2 and open the file wilderness_events from my mod wilderness preserve level .. read the lines written in the bsl and see how they translate into the actual cutscene.

bsl is also used for scripting events .. like example when enemy is killed a door opens or player is teleported somewhere or game saves or music plays etc ...
developer mode allows you to enter commands while you are in the game to check what they do .. example open the game press f1, x then f1 then ~ to bring up the console write :  chr_animate 0 KONOKOact_give 400     and see what it does. eventually the commands are written in the bsl file to be read by the game during gameplay.

so modding is a wide domain to explore, it depends what you actually want to do. but some general tips i can give you are to learn from others ... check other mods and threads discussing the mods and see what you can learn from them, example when i wanted to make a new level i studied the new levels that were made before mine like old china (meaning download the mod, explore what files it contains, and try to figure out what each file is for), check the OniGalore Wiki you can find more details on bsl commands, ONCC and the other files I mentioned, paradox and others put in a lot of effort to document all what we learn there , check this thread which has different tutorials: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1873
also take it slow ... figure out a plan of work ... maybe start with the actual level first, in that case Ed is the best to ask, s10k and paradox the best to ask for bsl scripting, I'm more experienced in character making ...
I also suggest starting a new thread in the modifications section to discuss and ask your questions instead of using emails, that's what i do when i discuss my mods, that way all the modders can see your questions and contribute our collective knowledge to help ...  for example i may give you a series of bsl commands to do something but s10k or edt may give it in much simpler commands ...

personally I'm interested in the character "Lee Frazier, an African-Canadian ...  and became the vigilante known as Arachna" I like the sketches of the character, I can attempt making it for you .. the model and textures and some moves ... you can modify it later if you wish.

Last edited by Samer (04/28/14 19:04)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#21 04/30/14 12:04

Vadell Gabriel

Late reply is late. tongue But thanks for the tips! I'll definetly need a lot of help with scripting, but I'll look in to those texture programs! As for creating a model based on Lee, I can draw up a better concept for you to use.

Board footer