Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/24/12 12:02

paradox-01

new camera animations

If you think that interpolation between two fixed cams (by using "cm_interpolate filename framenumber") is not enough then you use "cm_anim [look|move|both] filename" for complex moves.

To create camera animation files of type OBAN you could give this excel macro a try.
Your dae file must be located inside the "input_and_output" folder. When you have created the OBAN*.oni file put it into a package or plugin.

You can extract a level from Oni and import it into Mod Tool. There it serves as a reference so you know where you camera object is. The cam file is named object "camtest7.dae" inside Mod Tool "group_Default". Save it under a different name if you want.

Mod Tool connects the cam to existing objects. Cut it: at the right is a tab named "Constrain", then "Cut".

ModTool_cam_OBAN_tn.png

Saving an cam animation: File > Crosswalk > Export > File type: collada (use .dae at the file name's end), (Settings) Selection Only [x]

Quick ingame test after import.

Let me know if you encounter bugs (or maybe have a nice cam object for Mod Tool?).

Edit 11th June 2017: updated dropbox link

Last edited by paradox-01 (06/11/17 15:06)

#2 02/24/12 14:02

Mukade

Re: new camera animations

Woo! That could bd a very useful tool in making new levels, if anyone wanted to do cutscenes for them big_smile
Very nicely done!

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#3 02/24/12 18:02

EdT
Website

That's awesome you figured out the camera OBANs.  Great job.

#4 02/24/12 18:02

Lukas Kreator

Yes, if you ever want a more stylish GUI for that macro and you aren't in the mood of making one, you can ask me.
By the way, I think Delano was interested in OBANs.

#5 02/25/12 05:02

Delano762
Website

Lukas Kreator wrote:

By the way, I think Delano was interested in OBANs.

Yep, I'm gonna try them, but not now, as I'm already starting to get real busy, because the winter holidays are ending here and on monday I'm going back to school. Plus, I've tried to do many things during the last 2 weeks: making a new TRAM (gotta finish this one, it looks good so far), editing existing ones, making a new map/level, trying to export an Oni level into other game, thinking about and figuring out BSLs and learning Adobe After Effects. So it's a small unsorted mess, which I wanna at least partially finish, so I'll try OBANs later.

Last edited by Delano762 (02/25/12 05:02)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#6 02/25/12 08:02

Iritscen

You've come a long way from when you were helping me re-author those simple photograph OBANs in Dream Lab for the AE, paradox smile  This looks very nice, I can see this coming in handy for a project of mine.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 02/25/12 11:02

paradox-01

Without onisplit and the wiki hint* I couldn't have put this together.
* "Quaternions: Those are used in Oni whenever interpolation of 3D rotation is involved (e.g., TRAM rotation)"
So it was basically farming a bit data from dae and formating TRAM quaternions to OBAN's style.

I'm not up to date about the level import stuff. But if we are allowed to import objects with animations then we also might take that macro for object animations.
3 things to do / figure out:
- correct center rotations of object in Mod Tool
- set scaling to 1 (Fixed Transfomation)
- set values for <InitialTransform> (no idea how to calculate that, I'm no good in math)

@ Lukas Kreator: I would like to see you turning this macro into an actual program. Not everybody can or wants to use excel. It could have tables for dumping temporar data. What do you think?

Last edited by paradox-01 (02/25/12 11:02)

#8 02/25/12 13:02

Lukas Kreator

Tables are a good idea. I just have to find a way to make the macro work without requiring Excel at all, or maybe I should port the script...

EDIT: Actually, the macro is more complicated than I thought and contains little comments to explain how it works roll
Also, it uses the Excel-exclusive functions a lot, and that is not a problem by itself, but may make porting it more difficult.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (02/25/12 13:02)

#9 02/25/12 15:02

paradox-01

Yea, didn't clean or anything. Here's a commented version also with some unnecessary lines removed. I hope that helps you.

#10 02/25/12 15:02

Lukas Kreator

Oh, thanks a lot, I wasn't expecting you to comment it for me.

#11 01/05/14 21:01

Samer
Website

paradox do you think you can make a video tutorial for OBANs ?

"If you think that interpolation between two fixed cams (by using "cm_interpolate filename framenumber") is not enough then you use "cm_anim [look|move|both] filename" for complex moves."

I don't even know how to add the 2 fixed cameras :\

I read this http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:Authoring_custo … animations but didn't understand much.

Last edited by Samer (01/05/14 21:01)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#12 01/06/14 08:01

paradox-01

In this video I used Neo's cam import.
Seems still a bit buggy but very easy to do.
See if you can make use of it.

interpolation:   00:00 - 04:30
animation:       04:30 - 10:40

http://youtu.be/GCYSkHgNXSY

Last edited by paradox-01 (01/06/14 08:01)

#13 01/06/14 18:01

Samer
Website

You're the tutorial master paradox. Thank you.
Recently I was experimenting with a different method ... I'd spawn an invisible, non combatant character, with no collision so it can float in air (frozen, small body size, switzerland team)  ... I then teleport this character to wherever I want the cam to be .. then use chr_focus to become that char / camera and use chr face to flag or look at char for orienting it. I set the cutscenes that way in the wilderness level, but the camera seems much easier. I'll try to move the camera in game by double enter and then 'where' command, and copy location and rotation from game then apply in xsi so I know for sure what it would be looking at in game. EDIT: that doesn't work correctly the rotations in game when using where command when applied in xsi to the camera it doesn't face the same angle it does in game.

Where is the cam info written to when createlevel is done ? The ONVL too or a separate file like chars ? I already did the corpses in the ONVL, hoping to avoid modifying it again tongue

EDIT: I see it's enough to just copy the resulting OBAN file no need to modify the ONVL again, which is great ^_^

How come the wiki page on Cams is not that simplified :\

EDIT 2: Haven't been successful with animated cams so far .. I had a camera look at point A (frame 1) and the slowly rotate to point B (frame 300)
in game it's doing the opposite ... starts at point B then rotates to A .. in addition to the wrong angle shown in your video.

Last edited by Samer (01/07/14 01:01)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#14 01/07/14 15:01

paradox-01

'char cams' .. not sure what to say about them. It is ok to have them but they never looked fun to me. =^_^= Hopefully we we not longer need them 'soon'.
Maybe you can ask EdT for the minime code so that the invisible char gets a zero size, or maybe you already have that too.

"I had a camera look at point A (frame 1) and the slowly rotate to point B (frame 300) in game it's doing the opposite ... starts at point B then rotates to A"
Try to use more keyframes, especially when your keys were set near 0, 90, 180, ...

"How come the wiki page on Cams is not that simplified :\"
What page? And what to write? I mean all methods still have flaws. So no hurry to update, right?

I have dig out my old cam code. I will try to improve it and add it to the addon. http://youtu.be/p3ULpeNkd2o
Meanwhile if you want you can test it.
- select cam
- open script editor in Mod Tool (alt + 4), paste code, run it (F5)
- xml is saved the desktop
- create oni and put it into package/plugin

Vacations are over, so I don't know when I will finish this.

Edit 11th June 2017: updated dropbox link

Last edited by paradox-01 (06/11/17 15:06)

Board footer