Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 11/29/11 11:11

highwizard

Oni wouldn't run in Windows 7

I got PC with Windows 7 and Oni, double click the icon, get the intro and Oni crash...
Anyone know how I run Oni in Windows 7... Please help...

#2 11/29/11 11:11

TOCS

Re: Oni wouldn't run in Windows 7

I assume you're running a vanilla version of Oni? In that case, just get yourself a copy of the latest version of the Anniversary Edition.

#3 11/29/11 11:11

highwizard

I'm sorry, I'm new into this problem, what is vanilla Oni ? The installer seems to be very old tough, dating as long as 2002 or 2003...

#4 11/29/11 16:11

Iritscen

"Vanilla" means the game is in its original, un-modded form.  Please try installing the AE (http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1629) and see if that fixes the problem.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 06/08/12 08:06

Reaperette
Website

I have Windows 7, too. As you said I installed the game and the AE mod. The modded version globalized and with one mod installed runs perfectly (but only in windowed mode) but the vanilla version still crashes as usual. And the AE seems to collide with my German version: Dialoges are in German as installed, texts on screen and in the main menu are English, subtitles are German but when there is an umlaut (ä ö ü and probably an ß) the rest of the line disappers.
Is there any way to fix the texts or get the vanilla version to run?

#6 06/08/12 10:06

Iritscen

I think the reason for the language problem is that the AE comes with its own Oni.exe, which doesn't support special characters (well, they're special to those of us who don't use umlauts in our native language!).  The reason for needing that version of the EXE is that the Daodan DLL (binkw32.dll) is designed to patch that specific application.  Vanilla Oni might run if you copy the AE's Oni.exe and binkw32.dll into the main Oni folder, but special characters will be broken there too if Oni does run.  Maybe if Gumby's around later he can say something about language support, or correct any errors I've made (being a Mac user myself).

#7 06/08/12 10:06

Reaperette
Website

Ah, that would be great. I even noticed some soundfiles or other files seem to be missing as I get a message on the bottom of the screen saying file xy.oni couldn't be found. Next time I notice that I will capture a screen.

#8 06/08/12 12:06

Iritscen

Oh, and I forgot to add that the AE main menu is in English because we had to mod it in order to show the "Anniversary Edition" subtitle, and by "mod" I mean "include our own version of the screen data in the AE installation".  So, unless we went and made a separate AE download for Germans that had a screen with "Neuespiele" (sp?) for "New Game", etc., and so on for each major language, there's not a lot we could do to fix that issue.  I suppose we could have looked into using the Daodan DLL to insert the subtitle onto the main menu at runtime, but the Mac didn't have a Daodan DLL.

The missing resources may not be an issue at all.  Oni is actually "missing" a ton of resources (many are actually just renamed).  But a screenshot might be a good idea just so we can make sure it's a normal problem.

#9 06/09/12 13:06

Reaperette
Website

Ah, the menu language is not important, I was just asking.
But ingame it would be really nice, so I can read the data consoles, because I never read them before and I wanted to read them all now, they seem to tell really interesting things.

I captured a few error messages:
http:// puu.sh/zOCK (I'm not allowed to post links? remove the space between "//" and "puu.sh"

#10 06/09/12 14:06

Iritscen

Hmm, I thought everyone could still post links.  Well, those are ordinary errors as far as I know — they're actually scripting errors, to be precise, not missing resources, but they represent minor issues that Bungie didn't have the time to clean up (pretty ordinary for game development).

Anyway, please check this thread out; it's a beta release of the Daodan DLL which was made after the last AE was released, and I *think* it supports foreign languages.  In any case, since your English is good, you also have the option of reading the console text at http://wiki.oni2.net/Quotes/Consoles.

#11 06/09/12 16:06

Reaperette
Website

Wonderful! It works now with umlaut letters! Great, thanks smile

#12 06/09/12 16:06

Iritscen

Okay, glad to hear it!  Have fun.

#13 09/14/13 04:09

HisDudeness

Thanks to both Reaperette and Iritscen: I'm Italian and had the same problem Reaperette had with umlauts, only with accents. The Daodan DLL 3.0 Beta works like a charm for it. I only have a subsequent problem with it. I don't know if I should post about it here or in the DLL topic, but I'm doing here because I need the patch for the special characters only, and maybe for the other features it introduces there are already newer patches which do not give any problem, so...

When I use the binkw32.dll provided in the mod, the game doesn't work perfectly fullscreen: the taskbar occupies the lower part of the screen, and I couldn't manage to remove it. If I enable the auto-hide option, then I can see that the game doesn't fullscreen correctly, the lower part of the screen isn't occupied by the game. That allows the taskbar, always visible, to just get on the way and overlay all the space destined to it if it's allowed to get above everything. If not, the whole game can be viewed with no interference, but still it would be nice to get all screen occupied by it.

I'm playing with my native resolution (1366x768) on a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 laptop. This happens in both the vanilla and Anniversary Edition versions, for both English and Italian versions, if I replace the dlls. In the Italian version, the only one in which I need the mod active, I don't have widescreen resolutions as I don't have AE installed in it, but nothing changes because of that. Can anybody help me?

Here are screenshots for both the cases, by the way:
Task bar always on top - x3cn6r.jpg
Auto-hide taskbar - 30wl3jt.jpg

Last edited by HisDudeness (09/14/13 04:09)

The Dude minds.

#14 09/14/13 08:09

Alloc
Website

Did you make sure that Oni is set to run in fullscreen in the options dialog?

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#15 09/14/13 09:09

HisDudeness

Yup. It works normally without replacing binkw32.dll with the Daodan DLL 3.0 Beta's one. As soon as I do it, the initial movie starts windowed, and the game runs "hybrid", it looks lik a mean between fullscreen and windowed to me.

The Dude minds.

#16 09/14/13 16:09

Alloc
Website

Oh, by 3.0 you really mean 3.0? Why don't you use the most up to date one (i.e. 3.5)? There's a reason for us releasing updates wink

#17 09/15/13 02:09

HisDudeness

Oh, screw me. I saw the link in this topic for that same problem and got so galvanized that the idea of even looking if a newer version of it was available didn't even hit my brain once.
I was not able to find the 3.5 version you told, can you link it?
Searching in this forum I got into the topic 2528, in which I read most of the versions had the same taskbar problem. I tried the AE's dll Samer linked, the 2011 one, the latest in Gumby's repository, all to no avail. I then got into the wiki, which linked me into mods.oni.net for the AE's one. I tried pasting the whole package, including the exe (I had Alex Borinov's mod first) and it now works like a charm! Working fullscreen with no taskbar interference, and accent compatibility! Thanks a lot for hinting me into that.
Can you link me the 3.5 version anyway? The one I downloaded is labeled as 3.0 too. And just one last question, sorry if it sounds stupid but I searched a bit to no avail: why isn't the Dadoan DLL mod available in the AE installer?

Last edited by HisDudeness (09/15/13 02:09)

The Dude minds.

#18 09/15/13 05:09

Alloc
Website

It's the one on the Depot: http://mods.oni2.net/node/233
And if you're using the installer you will (/should) automatically get it (it's listed under "Core packages" or something like that in one of the menus).

Board footer