Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 11/06/12 20:11

Samer
Website

Other games ..

can you suggest some games for me ?

In my spare time when I'm not modding i want to play some other games can you suggest some that fit to these criteria

My favorite titles are Tomb raider, prince of persia .. Devil may cry .. Fable 2, rayman2  (and oni of course).. so something along these lines ..

Has to be 3rd person like Oni .. i'm not into first person shooting games or the click on character and select action thing and make campaigns .. And I don't really like space, old western or horror themes tongue ... I like fantasy - magic - exploration, super heroes ... And games where you can evolve ur character and earn skills (like konoko learns new moves or in fable2 you earn experience to select skills .. Same for devil may cry ..)

also I prefer no gore and blood hmm and not much focus on guns..

Some of you mentioned ''mirror's edge'' being like Oni .. I've never played it, do you recommend it ? And there was some talk of a ''Jedi academy'' ? or something ..

Last edited by Samer (11/06/12 20:11)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 11/07/12 07:11

Samer
Website

Re: Other games ..

No one is a gamer anymore tongue ?

#3 11/07/12 08:11

Knox

Have you ever played Giants: Citizen Kabuto? Nice game, that. It's kinda glitchy without the fan patches, but it's fun as hell.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#4 11/07/12 10:11

Lithium

Beat em ups might be fun I guess

Also Mirror's Edge is not a good game anymore, it was impressive back then but it has not aged well at all

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#5 11/07/12 11:11

Leus
Website

Try Mirror's Edge man, it's different.  It's pretty cool...  Can be frustrating/repetitive, but overall I think it's worth a play.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#6 11/07/12 11:11

Samer
Website

Ok then will check it out sometime .. How about batman arkham city ? Is it worth getting ?

#7 11/07/12 12:11

TOCS

If you like some stealthy third-person games, give Hitman or Assassin's Creed a try. Those series a pretty well done.

#8 11/07/12 14:11

Delano762
Website

Samer wrote:

Has to be 3rd person like Oni

Freedom Fighters, *Beyond Good & Evil, Project Eden, GTAs, Giants Citizen Kabuto like Knox said, ARMA 2, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, Iron Storm, **Max Paynes, Serious Sams, Splinter Cells 1-3 (DON'T EVER NEVER BUY PC VERSION OF SC:Double Agent), The Thing, Sheep Dog N Wolf, Mini Ninjas, Mass Effects (ME1 was awesome, ME2 was an awful COD/GOW clone if you don't count the plot and talking, I don't know about ME3, but from what I know it's very similar if not same as ME2, so it will probably suck too), Killswitch.

Samer wrote:

And I don't really like space, old western or horror themes tongue

You sure about that? Check Nocturne - it's not the scariest game ever, but that atmosphere of Interwar Period is un-fucking-believable. My 2nd favorite game of all time after Oni.

Samer wrote:

I like fantasy - magic - exploration, super heroes ...

Beyond Good & Evil, Giants Citizen Kabuto, Mini Ninjas.

Samer wrote:

also I prefer no gore and blood hmm and not much focus on guns..

Freedom Fighters, Beyond Good & Evil, Project Eden, Splinter Cells 1-3, Sheep Dog N Wolf, Mini Ninjas.

Samer wrote:

rayman2

Check Rayman 3 and Rayman Origins. And since we're talking about platform games, you might want to check Psychonauts, and Sonic Generations, if you don't mind the fact that SG's devs were too lazy to make controls for PC version (I play it on keyboard anyway, like all the PC platformers lol)

*Beyond Good & Evil - If you haven't played BG&E yet, then screw everything I've mentioned before and get it now. As a game, it's not necesarrily better than the games we've mentioned, but unlike them, BG&E is a something more than a video game, and that's why it's so special.
**Max Payne 1 was incredibly similar to Oni in some aspects.

Out of the criteria, I also suggest Ground Control 2.

Last edited by Delano762 (11/07/12 14:11)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#9 11/07/12 15:11

Samer
Website

Thanks a lot delano big_smile (nice to see you back smile )all the games u mentioned i've heard good things about them but never actually tried them big_smile will start with beyond good and evil then and citizen Kabuto .. And rayman 3 since i've recently replayed rayman2 big_smile btw rayman 2 works on windows 7 for me .. You once mentioned it not working for you.

I have assasin's creed games but i just kept getting lost in those big maps not knowing where to go tongue i rode the damn horse for hours and never knew where i was supposed to go tongue and i suck at stealth xD tried splinter cell but sucked at it and Thief and Stolen ..

Last edited by Samer (11/07/12 15:11)

#10 11/07/12 15:11

Delano762
Website

Samer wrote:

Thanks a lot delano big_smile (nice to see you back smile )And rayman 3 since i've recently replayed rayman2 big_smile

I'm not that back acctually, but I always look around OCF.

Samer wrote:

And rayman 3 since i've recently replayed rayman2 big_smile btw rayman 2 works on windows 7 for me .. You once mentioned it not working for you.

If you're a die-hard Rayman 2 fan, then you might find Rayman 3 disappointing, as it had some flaws. Biggest one is the length of the game - it competed with COD on Greenhorn in this. In fact, I'm not sure which is longer - Rayman 3 or its soundtrack (which is one of R3's best parts). But it's a good game anyway, and the world/universe/level design is jawdropping. As for R2 on W7, I got myself a Win XP Mode, so one day I'll play it again.

Last edited by Delano762 (11/07/12 15:11)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#11 11/12/12 20:11

Samer
Website

finished rayman 3 ^_^ was fun .. i missed the dark theme of rayman 2 though a bit. But liked it nonetheless .

Is Halo (any of them) worth getting ? never played any of them :\

#12 11/12/12 20:11

Lithium

They're pretty fun, not sure if you're one for shooters though.

#13 11/12/12 21:11

Valkyrur

If you want gameplay, go for Halo 4 since it's arguable the most refined.

If you want story, you'd better start with the first one, since Halo 4's single-player story is not newcomer friendly at all, especially considering Halo 4 takes a Sci-Fantasy direction as opposed to Bungie's hard Sci-Fi feel of the previous trilogy. And even at that, you'll have to go more deeper than just the games since the already gigantic Halo universe expanded greatly between the previous major release and now.

Also, avoid Halo Wars, it's a terrible ARTS with a convoluted story that's been written off of canon. Thankfully Ensemble/343 has learned from their mistakes since that, seeing as Halo 4 is pretty damned good compared to that. Although it does make me sad to see a once great RTS developer rebranded and developing FPS games.

Last edited by Valkyrur (11/12/12 21:11)

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#14 11/28/12 06:11

Samer
Website

I'm playing mini ninjas at the moment it's really fun and has all the elements I like big_smile thanks for the suggestion Delano.

#15 03/06/13 23:03

Samer
Website

kyletm57 wrote:
Samer wrote:

can you elaborate on the DMC part ? What's wrong with it .. Are you a fan of previous DMCs ? I know they changed much about it from the previous ones but all the reviews I read have been very positive.

As a fan of the Devil May Cry series I was pretty skeptical of the new title, but It's much better than I expected it to be. The visuals are good, the soundtrack is badass, and the gameplay is fluid and enjoyable. I did, however, find the story to be lackluster, I can't stand the new Dante (both his character and his godawful new appearance), and there isn't a lock on feature (which is annoying as hell). Most importantly, it's a fairly short game, so if you want to pick it up I would at least wait for a price drop. Overall I thought it was a good game, but it doesn't even come close to the original series (especially Devil May Cry 3). Make sure to try the demo if you haven't already, it will at least give you a good grasp on what the game will be like.

finished DMC first run on normal .. it was good, I liked the new gameplay and weapons and the platforming element, and the fact they made some stuff more accessible, like you can repeat secret missions whenever you like (opposed to previous games where you had to replay the main level to get to the secret mission entrance) for example. I also liked that they combined elements from DMC4 such as Nero's devil bringer in the new angelic and demon pull and that they combined all styles together (no more separate gunslinger and swordmaster and trickster) all are accessible at once by different key combinations.

the story was interesting enough but not what we're used to, I felt they sometimes forced the "adult" story elements unnecessarily to make it "cool".
as for the characters, I liked them as they are, if you look at them objectively and not compare them to previous titles, I felt they were more relatable and humane than before. But they definitely don't feel like they're same characters ... but then again it's a relaunch .. I can't decide which dante and vergil I like better ...

and I agree it's a lot shorter than the previous ones, but i'm not sure that's a bad thing, previous dmc titles would have so much repetition in levels that it got boring sometimes example in dmc4 you had to fight each boss 3 times which i felt was overkill ...
the secret missions are also much, much easier than what the previous titles had... after each one I was like that's it yikes it used to take me many tries to get them in the previous titles/
all and all it was enjoyable big_smile glad they had white hair dante as an un-lockable .. started son of sparda difficulty and so far finding it really challenging :\

still wish they'd revisit the nero story line someday but i guess that's highly unlikely now.

#16 03/07/13 18:03

Jon God

I just finished Ni No Kuni. It's PS3 only, but good lord, if you liked any of the following: SNES/PS1 era Final Fantasies, Studio Ghilbi, or parts of Pokemon/Zelda.

Yeah. I loved it. Period.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#17 03/07/13 22:03

Valkyrur

Well, I'm a tad bit pissed in a way (Read: WHAT THE FUCK) at Sega's recent trolling of us all.

Apparently Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Yakuza 5 are "too niche" to be worthwhile releasing and localizing, yet of all GODDAMN things they could localize, they're localizing their latest Hatsune Miku game.

What. If anything, that's SUPERMcMegaUltraturbodrive niche compared to VC3 and Yakuza 5. Hatsune Miku? How in the fucking fuckity goddamn hell of (Running out of expletives to say, so just use your imagination please) is HATSUNE MIKU more mainstream to western audiences than a WW2-Esque turn-based-strategy and a game about violent crime "too niche" compared to something that came from the lowest depths of Japanese culture?

Art thou jesting thyself?

In other news, I am rallying all the other VC and Yakuza fans I know of for a renewed push to see VC3 and Yakuza 5 in the west. Their reasoning of VC3 and Yak5 being "too niche" to be worth a localization in the west's shooter-dominated market followed by localizing a Hatsune Miku game is going to make them look like the greatest hypocrites in Earth's recent history. I fully intend to call them out on that until VC3 sees western localization, just like we did when Sega announced Yakuza 3 wouldn't see localization.

Also, Jon God, thanks for telling me awhile back that Yakuza 3 did eventually get localized, I'll have to get around to buying a copy of it sometime.

Last edited by Valkyrur (03/07/13 22:03)

#18 03/08/13 02:03

Jon God

I mean, at this point, they could release VC3 PSN download, or something. The vita could play it, as well as the PSP.

Jon-God.jpg

#19 03/08/13 03:03

Samer
Website

Waw you swear more than dante in dmc tongue

after i finish son of sparda dmc .. I'm gonna get vergil's downfall .. Anyone got that yet ?
Meanwhile i'll start batman arkham city .. (took a while to find it here)
And then get the new tomb raider .. Anyone tried it ?

Btw how much do these games cost for pc where you're at ? Do you really pay 40-60 dollars for them ? ... Here they're like 5 to 10 dollars hmm

Last edited by Samer (03/08/13 03:03)

#20 03/08/13 16:03

Valkyrur

Samer wrote:

Waw you swear more than dante in dmc tongue

Well, now you know how dearly some of us hold VC. Especially when the justification for it not getting localization is that it is "too niche", followed by them localizing a game that is 100 times more niche.

Here they're like 5 to 10 dollars hmm

Rubles, unless of course I have to get something imported, then yes I have to go through Paypal for currency conversion to either dollars to get something that is localized, or yen for things that aren't (/me looks at VC3, and then at his entire PS2 collection because he had a Japanese-regioned PS2)

#21 03/09/13 15:03

kyletm57

I might buy a Japanese copy of VC3, but games are expensive as hell over there, I dished out like 80$ on Final Fantasy Type 0 IIRC. hmm

Samer: Not sure how Vergil's downfall is, I might buy it but I'm going to read some reviews first and see how it looks. I'm also thinking about buying Bioshock Infinite, it looks pretty impressive.

banner2440.jpg

#22 03/09/13 16:03

Jon God

Man, BioShock is the big game this month I am excited about. After this, there's Remember Me in may, and The Last Of Us in June.

Jon-God.jpg

#23 03/11/13 22:03

Valkyrur

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … =1&theater

If you haven't put a Like on this yet for Hatsune Miku PDF to get western release, please do. If Sega sees something as niche as Hatsune Miku is worthwhile to see western release, then so is VC and Yakuza.

#24 03/11/13 22:03

Lithium

BRO WHY

Relevant

#25 03/12/13 22:03

Valkyrur

Well, my procrastination is over. Time to play VTMB after it sitting on my HDD for two weeks since I installed it.

I have a bad habit of doing that. Installing things and never touching them. Metro 2033 has been sitting on my HDD for a few months yet to be ran once since I got it for free in the Facebook promo.

Board footer