Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/23/12 04:10

Stratafyre

Getting a model into Oni

I'm very sorry if this has already been answered, but I've been searching the forums for the procedure to take a model and actually get it back into the game. Samer's character creation tutorial was fantastic, and I was able to get the model exported and tweak it a bit in Milkshape, but I'm not sure how one would go from that, to being able to see it in game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm working on jamming a character from another game in for a Let's Play that I'm doing of Oni big_smile As a surprise to the people watching.

#2 10/23/12 06:10

Samer
Website

Re: Getting a model into Oni

Helloo glad my tutorial was helpful big_smile mine focuses on creating a character from scratch or using various parts from various characters, there's another on the wiki on how to import a complete model written by geyser http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:Importing_character_models
but if you could figure mine out that one should be a breeze tongue

about getting it into game .. I'm not sure what milkshake can do but u need then to save the model as dae .. (after making sure it has 19 parts and parented correctly and triangulated..) then you should convert that dae to a TRBS using onisplit .. And onisplit gui .. Both found on the dept .. Once u download the gui u'll see the tab for converting the dae to trbs .. If it converts well .. Then congrats the hard part is done ..
Now u can just test the model in game without texture to do so name the trbs to another exisitng trbs .. Example name it to 1 of konoko's trbs .. Put the new trbs u made in a package .. U can also use the gui to create a package use a high number higher  than hd konoko if u have it .. Install that package and run game .. Now konoko should be using that model if model looks ok then u can proceed to make it a nique character by giving it an ONCC and TRMA and assigning textures (these are in my tutorial)

this is a better tutorial on making a mod package http://wiki.oni2.net/Making_a_mod_package

Last edited by Samer (10/23/12 11:10)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#3 10/23/12 11:10

Stratafyre

Oho! That definitely got me a step farther, I have a Package setup now, but I'm having the same issue that I experienced trying to install any non-included packages. When I load the Configuration in, nothing shows up, save what was already in the AE when I installed it. It doesn't seem to be adding new packages.

#4 10/23/12 11:10

Samer
Website

are you extracting the zips you're downloading ? and putting the folders in install\packages folder ? then opening AE installer ?
also make sure the folder of the package is not read only .. right click on the folder example 23500Casey then see properties un-tic read only if it's ticked .. then relaunch the AE installer.
it's weird that downloaded packages are not showing up only possibility is you're not putting them in right folder or they're read only, as far as I know.

#5 10/23/12 12:10

Stratafyre

Perfect! That was it, they were read only. I got the package installed and it looks like it's working ( As far as installing goes ). The game crashes when the model is called up, but that's not really surprising, I still have a lot of work to do on the model, and I think I may have exported it wrong big_smile

Thanks!

#6 10/23/12 12:10

Samer
Website

mmm the crash may happen if you used a TRMA that doesn't exist or if there are extra or wrong-named parts .. but you should try to figure out why it crashed before you put more effort into the model. good luck smile it's always nice to have new modders smile

#7 10/23/12 12:10

Stratafyre

Samer wrote:

mmm the crash may happen if you used a TRMA that doesn't exist or if there are extra or wrong-named parts .. but you should try to figure out why it crashed before you put more effort into the model. good luck smile it's always nice to have new modders smile

As soon as you posted that, I realized I hadn't actually attached the new hair I made to the Konoko's head, and when I checked, I had two free floating objects that weren't included XD So, there we go!

#8 10/24/12 09:10

EdT
Website

If you are still having problems with your model, let us take a look at it.  If you want to keep it a surprise, you can email me files.

#9 10/28/12 14:10

Samer
Website

As Ed said don't hesitate .. Looking forward to ur work smile you may have some trouble with merging a 'foreign' object to konoko's head .. I talked about merging objects in my tutorial, you'll need to use a program called fbx converter along the way.
It has a learning curve when you start modding but it becomes easier later smile so if you get frustrated or something doesn't work don't give up on it and we're here to help.

Board footer