Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#676 05/20/12 10:05

Loser

Re: Movies

Video showcase of the race mod mockup. Presented variant relies on Alarm behavior. Awesome feature of Alarm behavior (when set properly) is that A.I. can engage in a fight and will still resume the race as soon as possible. Also this behavior reduces amount of required scripting.
THIS IS NOT A STANDALONE MOD. It is only a concept for EdT and Lucas Kreator, who want to try to do a race mod in EdT's custom level.

WATCH HERE

IMPORTANT NOTE
Numerous pathfinding grid issues were fixed manually, so A.I. characters are not constantly getting stuck in doorframes, staircase railings and around corners. Without these fixes the performance of A.I. characters was pitiful and high rate of pathfinding errors usually caused them to abandon the alarm run.

Last edited by Loser (05/20/12 10:05)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#677 05/20/12 10:05

EdT
Website

Loser:  AWESOME!!!!

#678 05/20/12 14:05

Iritscen

Loser does it again.  Nice.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#679 05/20/12 15:05

Lukas Kreator

Really nice! I will certainly work on a script for the alarm behaviour too once I'm finished, specially now the concept has been proved.

#680 05/21/12 03:05

gmsly

"cheat character" beat boss:

video

video

Last edited by gmsly (05/21/12 08:05)

#681 05/21/12 08:05

Iritscen

"Sorry, the page you want to access does not exist."

#682 05/21/12 09:05

gmsly

Iritscen wrote:

"Sorry, the page you want to access does not exist."

try the second one

#683 05/21/12 15:05

Iritscen

Okay, that works (although movies load very slowly).  Looks like you've been doing a lot of playing around with movesets!

#684 05/29/12 22:05

EdT
Website

Playing around with the BSL command ai2_attack, though it doesn't work well if there are other characters around, the attack run is aborted.

http://youtu.be/-gw3b5lMibE

It just impresses me, how Oni's engine gives the AI some degree of intelligence.  We don't have to program every action of the AI.

#685 06/08/12 14:06

EdT
Website

How did Loser do this? big_smile  Amazing stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC3B6WKEngw

#686 06/08/12 14:06

Knox

Saw that earlier. Impressive stuff smile

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#687 06/08/12 15:06

Iritscen

As Keanu Reeves would say, "Whoa."  Very interesting!

#688 06/08/12 15:06

paradox-01

Could be an TV/TRAM/OBAN mix. If that would make an too inaccurate outcome maybe it has something to do with his wiki edit on pathfinding grids and meele profile from a few days ago. I hope it's the second one. Something else?
Come on, tell us a bit more. smile

#689 06/08/12 16:06

EdT
Website

ParadoxL You get the cookie!  Yes it uses TV/TRAM/OBAN combination, so it only works at that section of the warehouse.

#690 06/08/12 16:06

Delano762
Website

EdT wrote:

so it only works at that section of the warehouse.

You serious?
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Or do you mean only AI climbing? Does the player climbing work only at the warehouse as well?

Last edited by Delano762 (06/08/12 16:06)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#691 06/09/12 00:06

Loser

Hush hush EdT, now I look again like a greedy guy. The only luck Geyser is not around, he would beat me to pulp with deep frozen sworfish for this ^_^.
Anyway, a bit off-topic regarding the climbing. Of course the mechanic is OBAN/TRAM/TRIGVOL/BSL. It works for both player and the AI.

For player: player enters the "climb area" trigger volume, which switches an enabler variable in BSL. Then if player taps jump, corresponding OBAN and TRAM are played.

For AI: similar, but since AI does not have that advanced alorithms, it has to be told when it makes sense to use climbing machanism. Thus another TRIGVOL is place on top of the furniture, that trigvol is player trigger only. If player is inside, AIs are allowed to use climb mechanism when they enter the climb trigvolume.

This mechanism works like a charm, however it has a few drawbacks.
The biggest one is a need for a dense net of TRIGVOLS/OBANs. One OBAN has to be placed circa each 10 units along the furniture edge to make the mechanism look at least somehow user firendly while not confusing TRIGVOLs (trigvols must NOT intersect, otherwise the BSL conde gets confused).

It would be the best if Oni allowed "fromhere" parameter for OBANs, something similar to FILM playback parameter "fromhere". That would be enough to enlighten the resource burden. Instead of dense net of OBANs (each place in space required its own original OBAN) the set of OBANs with rotated facing would be created (let's say one OBAN per 30°) and then the corresponding OBAN would be triggered by one long trigvol palced along the whole edge. Much cleaner solution in my opinion.

And so I ask, does anybody here have an idea how to do this feature without that annoying need to have one OBAN placed each 10 units?

EDIT:This mechanic is one of possible feature designs for EdT's China level, so I didn't bother releasing the package. In case someone would like to try this feature out, HERE is a rar with oni files.

Last edited by Loser (06/09/12 00:06)

#692 06/09/12 08:06

EdT
Website

I made some modifications to Loser's mod.  Added height information to the jump TRAM, for the triggervolume script I used:

func void tr_jump7_enter(string ai_name)
{   
chr_wait_animtype(0, Jump)
  chr_animate 0 KONOKOtestjump2
}

This is the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9lpcxrTdAY

Though I don't know if this will work for the AI...

And yes, this is a custom level, I call it the testbed level.  It is a simple level where I can add stuff for testing.
BTW, I was guessing at the height info, so the TRAM doesn't look quite right...

#693 06/09/12 13:06

paradox-01

An idea. (Still includes TriggerVolume and FILM.)
Let's cut the TRAM into two parts. First part has fast accelerating hights, second part is of type Fly.
Would the upwards velocity remain so that the second part take it over and then the characters lands on the obstacle?

Edit: Oh wait, are we talking about the same thing, Ed? Or does your modification use OBANs?

Last edited by paradox-01 (06/09/12 14:06)

#694 06/09/12 14:06

Loser

EdT, there's something I have to tell you about TRAM behavior. I am not supposed to talk about this, but data suggest, that TRAM modifications will work differently when on your and on...OTHER Oni.apps . When you use a TRAM height when close to an obstacle, you may experience the over-the-top effect, temporary burst of modded Oni.app behavior. It only last within your OS, so try to use all the power it gives you. But please, don't tell other modders I told you about this ^_^

On a serious note EdT, you are using Gumby's code hack, which unsticks origin of TRAMs, thus allowing characters to move over obstacles even when those characters are not jumping. That will work for modified exe and app files, but in vanilla Oni your TRAM modification fails, because the origin keeps sticked at the height where TRAM started. That is why in vanilla Oni characters cannot be thrown over railings. And why I used OBANs ^_^

Indeed, if somebody somehow solves this annoying issue nad globally releases fix which allows TRAMs to pass over obstacles (like in your case), then this whole mechanics reduces to only a TRAM animation (or maybe better is to use FILM which fontains the TRAM animation) and TRIGvolumes. And also such a fix means characters will start to be thrown over railings and through windows.

I don't have access to *certain accessories*, but in case some of those guys who have decides to help the community, here's a tip
- unstick the origin of characters
- add a variable to the character class which will be used to store object character's height at the moment any TRAM starts.
- during the TRAM execution till its end check if the height of the origin position is higher than this archived value. If yes, that means the character is passing over some obstacle. This pass would cause sudden change of character's vertical position. That change happens beacuse origin of the character object (the point to which animation is related) moves to a higher place than it was when the animation started.
- If the the check is positive (origin si higher the it was), then subtract the difference of heights from incoming TRAM height data (to compensate fo the origin height change in order to avoid sudden character position change) before redrawing the character on scene. If the check is negative, leave it, as that means either the vertical position of the origin didn't change or the change is negative, i.e. character is falling down.
- keep checking for the difference and subtracting if needed till this TRAM ends
- Load new value into the variable as some new TRAM starts.
- Rinse repeat this all the time for each executed TRAM.

If THAT code (of course properly tweaked) was in effect, it would allow thrown victims to fly over obstacles and it would also allow climb mechanics to be a whole lot lighter on resources - on need for OBANs then, just long TRIGvolumes along furniture edges and a few FILM files which contain properly rotated TRAMs.

EDIT: Dox, vertical positioning of TRAM is not expressed in velocities but directly in heights. Seems like Bungie West folks had similar idea to the one described in this post, but somehow "forgot" to implement it. ^_^

Last edited by Loser (06/09/12 14:06)

#695 06/09/12 15:06

paradox-01

Oh well, another idea to bury.

*A few days later, Griffin invited Loser to come into the Omega Vault for some chitchat and electronical entertainment. ... He refused politely.*

#696 06/09/12 16:06

EdT
Website

Let's continue the obstacle climbing discussion here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 166#p41166

#697 09/16/12 23:09

Lithium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5R0TQf0Ifg

Got my stuff set up again, I'll try and do some showcases soon.

Last edited by Lithium (09/16/12 23:09)

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#698 09/17/12 07:09

Samer
Website

Thx smile .. lithium (calling u that will take some getting used to tongue)
but a small request, hope in future vids u can show more of the moves (the hit foot ouch move, the faster punches and kicks for example here didn't show)

maybe u can do a kojiro as a playable character one next big_smile ?

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#699 09/17/12 16:09

Lithium

Alright I'll try that I suppose. I guess I'll do a quick showcase of his kicks, throws and such. Then some gameplay

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#700 09/17/12 16:09

Samer
Website

That would be great smile he has a willow kick btw and a ppk and a forward kick throw (these are easy to miss)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

Board footer