Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/03/12 13:09

Samer
Website

Burnt out ...

Mm lately I'm feeling burnt out from modding, i think i've made too many mods too fast .. Since i finished uni i made golden tctf, character retexture, updated casey with 2 new outfits and retextured the old ones and added an outfit for kojiro, made blackops femcops, casual tankers, stunned throws fix and now updating hayate ..
working with hayate now i was happy with how the black armor outfit turned out .. But trying to make the jacket outfit is frustrating me, it's taking a lot of effort and not turning out as i want it ...
Also lately i've realized that no matter how much effort i put into the models/textures. It's not going to compare or look nearly as good as models done by others ..
I was happy with my hayate dante outfit .. Till i found a model of dante on the free 3D site and realized mine sucks in comparison tongue
or for example my character textures will never look as good as VR's .. I don't have the ability to make them better hmm which is frustrating.

I still have many ideas, like right now I'm excited to make hayate a female partner, however when it comes to the actual modding, i'm getting frustrated that my work doesn't turn out as great as i've imagined it. hmm sad

Another thing is with the frequent powercuts in my country my work keeps getting interrupted, so usually i work on a mod long hrs when i'm in the mood till i finish it, now when my work is getting interrupted every few hrs i'm finding difficulty to get excited and resume it and i keep rushing it as the power will cut again instead of taking my time like i used to do ... For example humane shinibot outfit i think is one of my best work and it took a lot of time to finish it, now i'm picking up easier mods (blackops konoko, casual tankers) as they require less time and effort, but in the end i'm not as excited abt them as i was with my previous mods.

I think i should take a break from character modding and try to learn some other stuff to incorporate the ones i've already made into the game, bsl and level modding maybe ....
Just saying all this to say i might not be as productive in the coming weeks .. And if other modders have felt like this before what advice do u have

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 09/03/12 14:09

Iritscen

Re: Burnt out ...

I may not be much of a modder, but I have experienced burnout more than once since I've been here.  It's true that you might be better off expanding your skillset with things like BSL, but really, why not just take some time off?  I've found that, after doing other things for a while, I eventually begin to feel enthusiastic again about Oni stuff and remember why I do it in the first place, and then I'm eager to come back (usually no one even notices I'm gone smile).  You've made an impressive number of characters, but perhaps it's beginning to feel more like a job to you lately?  It could be that taking time off will allow you to approach things from a new angle and explore a different kind of modding that excites you.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 09/03/12 15:09

TOCS

I haven't been interested in modding lately because of the lack of progression with the game in general. Not that it's a bad thing, I just feel demotivated to do anything since the actual possibilities we have, are really primitive compared to this century of modding. smile When I look at e.g. CryENGINE 3.0, MineCraft, GTA IV, Source etc. there's just endless amounts of things you can do.

That's also the reason I believe the only way to kickstart Oni again for me, is to revamp everything into a different more user friendly engine. I know that's a humongous step from what we have now, but imagine what could be possible if done properly. Actual licensing wouldn't even be that much of a problem either, since we have free-ware SDK's for both CE3.0 and UE3.0 (4.0?).

I'd be more than happy to become active again if this was possible. But since Take-Two are indifferent towards Oni and most likely the idea, it's kinda irrelevant. But seriously, it could be so much fun to add the project to Kickstarter; you know, gather a group of people from here, and start some serious modding and see the outcome. smile

#4 09/03/12 15:09

EdT
Website

Samer: I can sympathize with your frustration, however, you have to remember that VR's work involves graphic design.  So no doubt, he has gone through training, education and many years of experience.  I'm sure the same can be said for those with 3D modeling skills.

Also, think about how much you have progressed since you started modding.  You are able to do things with the character models (textures, modeling) that I can never do,  I'm not very artistic. smile

For myself, I usually have several different things going on at once.  Because if I get stuck or frustrated with one project, I work on another project.  But as the saying goes, "Jack of all trades, master of none" that fits me. big_smile

Each of us is different, find what works best for you.  If that means taking a break from Oni, that is fine, or learning (getting frustrated) at another aspect of Oni, that is also fine.

#5 09/03/12 15:09

paradox-01

I agree with quite everything already said here. Do something else, or even don't do anything and get refreshed. If you have further ideas in the meantime, write them down with pen and paper, 'breed' them. -- It's true, you made a big number of chars in a short time (not to mention the power cuts). Also look at your thread, 24 pages, not all your post but still we can see you put in a lot of energy. I guess sooner or later you had to do a break.

"my character textures will never look as good as VR's" There is always someone stronger. Have you forgotten? That's live. I also wish to create a few chars but lack skill.
Although your skill might not be as big as VR's, it got better and I think it will continue to get better if you train it. Anyway, don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure and have fun with whatever you do.

#6 09/03/12 23:09

Samer
Website

thanks guys smile that really helps .. I'm gonna take a break from modding for few days .. maybe play another game .. make some oni videos with the mods i currently made (That always gets me excited again:P) , or write some tutorials ..

EdT wrote:

Also, think about how much you have progressed since you started modding.

paradox-01 wrote:

Although your skill might not be as big as VR's, it got better ...

true tongue Capture%25252520085.jpg2012-08-20_122318.jpg
thanks guys

Iritscen wrote:

but perhaps it's beginning to feel more like a job to you lately?

paradox-01 wrote:

Anyway, don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure and have fun with whatever you do.

true I'm kinda pressuring myself to finish my characters projects instead of having fun with it .. as if i put an imaginary deadline ..

anyway big_smile will take a little break from modding, maybe not from oni all together, might make some vids and tutorials , but will continue modding soon ^_^ there's much more i wanna do big_smile the character mega pack will be a surprise hopefully ^_^

#7 09/04/12 04:09

s10k
Website

I also agree with the break or learning fresh things, just don't try to forget oni (I would miss your works smile).

When you say that your characters never look close as other members, that's normal I think. How was said some of these members are professionals and/or have lots of years of experience with 3d modeling. You should only focus in yourself, and try to get better and better, not focusing too much in others. I know there are a lot of people out there that are better than me at coding, scripting wherever, the thing is, I try to keep evolving and once I can I'm happy because I'm better than yesterday.

About learning other stuff I think it's great, but I would rather focus in the areas I like most. I had bad experiences in the past (in the world of work) when I tried to perform stuff which I did know too little about and I didn't liked. I know you like 3d character modeling so keep improving it, and I must say that you did improve very much in last works at least to my eyes.

Doing tutorials is a great idea too, it's never wasting time since you help the community to release more mods and even better ones. You also need other people works to motivate you. smile

#8 09/04/12 06:09

Samer
Website

Ouh thanks script smile) u're right i shouldn't compare to others but to how i've improved .. And ur feedback on mods and projects whether it is positive or negative keeps me motivated smile
Thanks for ur comments guys.

Board footer