Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#76 08/19/11 16:08

Nitr0

Re: SoftImage (XSI) Mod Tools - Tips, Techniques and Tutorials

Maybe you should merge it, open it (merged fbx or dae) and then make u.v maps, maybe you'll success...
It is complicated hmm

Ninjabar thin

#77 08/19/11 17:08

Iritscen

Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure you need UV maps?  Couldn't you just paint across the portion of the belt with the skull?  Making a UV map for a belt buckle seems like overkill for Oni.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#78 08/19/11 17:08

Nitr0

Hey I think that you need to freeze the object when you do the UV mods...
Try with both of my tips smile

Ninjabar thin

#79 08/19/11 21:08

Samer
Website

Nitr0 wrote:

Maybe you should merge it, open it (merged fbx or dae) and then make u.v maps, maybe you'll success...
It is complicated hmm

it's more difficult to make u.v maps for just a portion of an object than an entire object ..

Iritscen wrote:

Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure you need UV maps?  Couldn't you just paint across the portion of the belt with the skull?

ok sounds nice .. how exactly do i do that ? paint across it ? if there are no u.v maps how do i know which part of the texture i should paint across ? or is there a way to do that in xsi ?

here are the files :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22609960/trbses.zip
the grey_fury3.dae is where the skull is resized and put in place, without merging with the pelvis, or adding u.vs yet.
the fbx file is after merging and adding the u.v maps, which fails to convert ...

how were the U.V maps for the alien model, the bgi trooper added ?

Last edited by Samer (08/19/11 21:08)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#80 08/19/11 21:08

EdT
Website

Samer: I think once you merge the skull with the pelvis, look at the pelvis and its UV Map. The polygons for the original pelvis should be visible, now try highlighting the polygons for the skull and see if you can position them in a blank area of the texture.  Since I don't use XSI, I don't know how to UV Map things in there.

Edit:  Here is the TRBS (I used Cheetah3D): http://edt.oni2.net/files/TRBSgrey_fury3.oni
GreyFuryScull.jpg

UVmap:
GreyFuryUV.jpg

For the BGI Trooper, it was done by another modder who took the original model, broke it into the separate body parts and made the UV maps for it.

#81 08/20/11 18:08

Samer
Website

thanks EdT smile

EdT wrote:

Samer: I think once you merge the skull with the pelvis, look at the pelvis and its UV Map. The polygons for the original pelvis should be visible, now try highlighting the polygons for the skull and see if you can position them in a blank area of the texture.

the problem is there are no polygons showing up for the skull in the texture editor ... there must be a certain way to add u.v maps correctly ... when u added them in Cheetah 3D was there a special setting u chose ? for example in XSI there was spherical projection and another option XY projection and others ...
did u notice anything wrong in the fbx i posted tongue ?

#82 08/20/11 23:08

EdT
Website

The fbx version did not have any UV maps.  I used the dae that had both parts.  First I unwrapped the skull UV on a plane and then scaled it very small to fit in an unused area of the pelvis texture.  I combined the 2 parts together and that was it.

How does the skull differ from other parts you combined before?

#83 08/20/11 23:08

Samer
Website

"First I unwrapped the skull UV"  ... this is what i'm not getting :\ how did u do that ? ..
i don't know if i'm using the right name for it .. maybe uv maps aren't what i think they are big_smile

"then scaled it very small to fit in an unused area of the pelvis texture" yeah this i get and i've done many times but they are not showing up in the first place for me to move them.

when i select the skull ... nothing shows up on the texture editor ... i don't mean a texture i mean those lines that identify the polygons.. and edges (i'm calling these u.v maps maybe i'm wrong :\) .. other objects i've merged already had those lines which identify where the texture shows up on the model ... this skull doesn't the texture editor is blank ... so how do i add these lines (u.v maps) ? unwrap them i guess is what u call it.
the way i added them was following the tutorial i mentioned above which gave me a non functional fbx after merging. it's not the merging that wasn't right cause i've done that before .. it's adding the uv maps.

skull selected : yet nothing shows up on the texture editor
SNAG-0006.jpg

opposed to the lines or uv maps showing :
SNAG-0010.jpg

so I first added the uv maps to the skull by doing this starting from the dae i attached in xsi i selected the skull
i went to render menu selected get -> texture -> image -> new -> uv map -> XY projection
then the skull looked like this :
SNAG-0012.jpg

after that i did like u did, moved it and resized into a blank area of the pelvis and then merged them etc .. getting this :
SNAG-0015.jpg
saved this as fbx (the one i attached which weirdly u are saying doesn't have uv maps though here for me it does)... cause onisplit can't convert the dae after merging ..
then like we always do tried to convert that fbx back to dae ... here is my problem the fbx converter crashes on this file. :\

if u have time EdT try to see if u follow my steps using XSI if u get the same result.

Last edited by Samer (08/20/11 23:08)

#84 08/21/11 19:08

EdT
Website

Honestly, at this point, you are more experienced with XSI than me.  I don't even know how to apply textures to an object, so, UV mapping in XSI is way beyond me.  I only use XSI for TRAMs, otherwise, everything else is done in the Mac program Cheetah 3D or when it comes to making buildings, Sketchup.

The only way I can help is when you have parts that won't merge properly, I can do that for you.

#85 08/21/11 20:08

Mukade

I'm having a really odd problem with XSI. I don't know if you guys know anything about this, since I do most of the XSI animating, but when I export my animation into dae, it seems to reset ALL of my pelvis rotation values to zero. The transformation values are still there, so he moves forward fine, and all the other body parts are unaffected, so he's just lying down, at pelvis height, doing the animation, and moving forward like it should, he's just not facing the right way... any takers?

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#86 08/21/11 21:08

EdT
Website

Did this happen with the latest OniSplit?  If so, that is a bug that needs to be reported.

#87 08/21/11 23:08

Mukade

it has nothing to do with Onisplit. I can export an animation into DAE from XSI, then import it right back and it will be messed up.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#88 08/22/11 08:08

EdT
Website

In that case, before exporting as dae, save your work as a scene.  Then later when you need to go back to the TRAM, it will be there unchanged. I always saved my TRAMs as scenes.

#89 08/22/11 16:08

Mukade

Actually this one is a throw, so that's how I work with throws. Basically, I animate both characters together, then when it's done, I save it as a scene, and then go and delete on character, export as DAE, then reload it, delete the other character, and export that one (after making the necessary modifications to the target's position of course)

Makes throws hell of a lot easier to animate. I suspect the problem has to with the fact that there are two different people in the Scene, but I've done it before with no problem. I'll try saving each individual animation as a scene, and try again.

#90 09/06/11 14:09

Knox

EdT wrote:

On the Main Shelf select Views then Schematic, that will show how the body parts are connected.

I can't find this "main shelf" or "views" button. I only see the view button, and there's nothing in it about schematic. Help please?
EDIT: Googled it. Once again, sorry for stupid question.

Last edited by Knox (09/06/11 18:09)

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#91 08/03/12 10:08

paradox-01

Introducing the new wiki page for Mod Tool. I hope you will find it useful. If not, make changes or suggestions.

#92 08/07/12 09:08

Delano762
Website

So I want to edit that kick-to-the-face pistol disarm from the last level - I import both the normal TRAM (Konoko) and the target TRAM (femcop) into XSI, and here's what happens:
XSIposition.png
Any ideas how to place the target TRAM where it should be?

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#93 08/07/12 10:08

Samer
Website

something about rotating it 90 degrees hmm it was mentioned before somwhere

#94 08/09/12 08:08

paradox-01

In theory you need to apply following changes to the target for each keyframe:

* multiplicate the velocities (x and z) by -1
* add the position values from the xml file to them <Position>-0.668051958 2.01110268 11.7387371</Position>
* multiplicate x rotation by -1
* add/subtract 180 to the y rotation

Someday we might have a button in XSI/ModTool to do that.

Last edited by paradox-01 (08/09/12 08:08)

#95 08/09/12 08:08

Samer
Website

paradox question, can we make the changes to the xml first ? And then import it to xsi .. It would be easier to edit the xml, using spreadsheets, than to edit each indivdual keyframe in xsi .

#96 08/09/12 09:08

paradox-01

That's not possible unless Neo adds an option to extract throw animations together. You would need to ask him.
(The current onisplit can't bake the target throw dae from source+target throw oni/xml information.)

The alternative way would be to use a button in ModTool: The script behind that button would go through all keyframes and do the changes.

-------------

Thinking again...
If you really want to go over spreadsheets then the process might go this way:

* extract oni to xml
* making the changes with help of spreadsheets
* the postion data must be added to the first line of velocities (in xml they values of change, not absolute values like in ModTool)
* converting the xml to oni
* extract oni as dae

Last edited by paradox-01 (08/09/12 09:08)

#97 08/22/12 17:08

Samer
Website

Anyone aware of a way to mirror a body part ( not the duplicate symmetry) what i want is a way that applies like 'flip horizontal' works on photoshop, for example instead of the headset on comguys right ear it flips the mesh so it becomes on his lef ear .. (duplicate symmetry makes a copy of mirrored coordinates of the whole object)

#98 08/22/12 18:08

Iritscen

I don't know XSI well, but the general idea is usually to copy the object and apply a rotation on the correct axis; you can type in the exact number of degrees somewhere onscreen (I assume), so for instance a Z axis rotation of 180° might do the trick.

#99 08/22/12 19:08

Lukas Kreator

I think he means he wants to "rotate" the object as if looking into a mirror. When you rotate your body around, your left hand is still your left hand, but when you look into a mirror, the reflection's left hand is a "mirroring" of your right hand, if you get me.

#100 08/22/12 19:08

Iritscen

Wikipedia wrote:

A mirror does not "swap" left and right, any more than it swaps top and bottom. A mirror reverses the forward/backward axis, and we define left and right relative to front and back. Flipping front/back and left/right is equivalent to a rotation of 180 degrees about the vertical axis (in the same way that text which is back-to-front and upside-down simply looks like it has been rotated 180 degrees on the page). Therefore, looking at an image of oneself with the front/back axis flipped is the same as looking at an image with the left/right axis flipped and the whole figure rotated 180 degrees about the vertical axis, which is exactly what one sees when standing in front of a mirror.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror#Mirror_image

But I get now what Samer is asking.  I don't see a Mirror function in XSI at a glance through Google, which is surprising, but Blender can do it:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2 … ate/Mirror

Board footer