Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/07/12 17:07

MarlonArt

Devil's Third

Devil...Oni, get it? Ha.

Anyway, in my endless quest to find a good guns/ melee game I recently came across this gem called Devil's Third. The game is made by the creator of games like Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. From what I see in the trailer, it looks like the melee combat is weapons only which means it won't be as thorough or deep as Onio's, however it does awesome none the less. The best part: it's going to be multi-platform, which means it's coming to PC smile What do you guy's think? Besides Oni, how do you get your melee fix?

#2 07/07/12 18:07

Valkyrur

Re: Devil's Third

MarlonArt wrote:

Devil...Oni, get it? Ha.

Anyway, in my endless quest to find a good guns/ melee game I recently came across this gem called Devil's Third. The game is made by the creator of games like Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. From what I see in the trailer, it looks like the melee combat is weapons only which means it won't be as thorough or deep as Onio's, however it does awesome none the less. The best part: it's going to be multi-platform, which means it's coming to PC smile What do you guy's think? Besides Oni, how do you get your melee fix?

I get my melee fix as a Vanguard in ME3.

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#3 07/07/12 18:07

Iritscen

MarlonArt wrote:

Besides Oni, how do you get your melee fix?

The closest thing to a good melee fix that I know about is Lugaru 2 (Overgrowth).  In fact that's the only close thing I know about!  But I'm not as informed on modern games as some people here.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 07/07/12 20:07

MarlonArt

Certified wrote:

I get my melee fix as a Vanguard in ME3.

I'll have to check that out.

Iritscen wrote:
MarlonArt wrote:

Besides Oni, how do you get your melee fix?

The closest thing to a good melee fix that I know about is Lugaru 2 (Overgrowth).  In fact that's the only close thing I know about!  But I'm not as informed on modern games as some people here.

I've played Lugaru and I remember it being really good. I wasn't aware that Overgrowth was still in development (thanks for the reminder). Sporting both open hand and weapon combat, it looks to be awesome. I just might put down the $30 they're asking for the pre-order. I get my melee high with Jedi Academy and even in F.E.A.R multiplayer. The melee in F.E.A.R isn't as comprehensive but its all too satisfying to nail a fully armed opponent with a well placed kick to the face.

#5 07/07/12 21:07

Iritscen

Yes, Overgrowth continues to advance steadily; subscribe to their YouTube channel if you want to see what's being done from week to week.

For me, if a game doesn't have some depth in the area of hand-to-hand melee, I just don't get the kick out of it that I get from Oni.  For instance, all the Star Wars games where you can run around with a lightsaber are fun, but it doesn't seem to fill the niche that Oni is in.

#6 07/08/12 12:07

MarlonArt

Iritscen wrote:

Yes, Overgrowth continues to advance steadily; subscribe to their YouTube channel if you want to see what's being done from week to week. For me, if a game doesn't have some depth in the area of hand-to-hand melee, I just don't get the kick out of it that I get from Oni.  For instance, all the Star Wars games where you can run around with a lightsaber are fun, but it doesn't seem to fill the niche that Oni is in.

I just looked up Overgrowth on Youtube and watched a hilarious video of this dude called 'Nerd Cubed' playing the alpha. Soon as I get paid I'm going to pre-order it. You're right about the Star wars games. For me the one with the best melee combat is Jedi Academy. The melee combat in Force Unleashed is pretty good, as well even though it emphasizes more force power usage than saber combat.

A game that I forgot to mention was this other gem called 'Blade Symphony'. I found it on kickstarter one day looking for an Oni-like game to fund (currently its made over $4000 over it's pledged goal). Like Overgrowth, it's an indie game that has been in development for years and is progressing steadily. It has a very deep weapon combat system. Think, Oni meets Soul Calibur. My only gripe against it is that there is no vertical jump in the game, just sort of quick dodges and hops.

#7 07/08/12 12:07

Iritscen

MarlonArt wrote:

For me the one with the best melee combat is Jedi Academy. The melee combat in Force Unleashed is pretty good, as well even though it emphasizes more force power usage than saber combat.

Yes, I enjoyed the combat in Jedi Academy the most out of all the games with lightsabers.  There was something about it where you felt like you had real control over exactly what you did in a fight, and no two fights had to happen the same way.  Fights could end instantly, or be epic duels with sabers crossing multiple times.  That's a rare feeling in games.  Force Unleashed was fun, but didn't have that "connected" feeling to the combat, and as you said, half the time you are using your ridiculously OP Force powers rather than the saber.  Unlike in Academy, it's just a matter of wearing down the enemies' HP bars with the same techniques over and over.

A game that I forgot to mention was this other gem called 'Blade Symphony'.

Ah, yes, I need to check that out.  And the Clang Kickstarter should be interesting, though I think it will be a while before it bears any fruit.

My only gripe against it is that there is no vertical jump in the game, just sort of quick dodges and hops.

Psh, jumping is overrated smile  Unless you're a Jedi, there's little point in being able to jump.  In real life, jumping to get a few inches over your opponent would likely just get you killed.

#8 07/08/12 15:07

Jon God

I have so far, not found a single game that 'feels' like Oni in terms of Melee combat.

And I've played a few games, in my time.

-JG

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#9 07/08/12 22:07

Dirk Gently
Website

I am going to suggest Mirror's Edge, and my sudden wanting but inability to play that game again right now.

#10 07/09/12 13:07

MarlonArt

Jon God wrote:

I have so far, not found a single game that 'feels' like Oni in terms of Melee combat.

And I've played a few games, in my time.

-JG

I just downloaded Batman Arkham City, and it was a blast to play... however, it was no Oni. The "free-form" fighting, although it felt dynamic and fluid, also felt a bit controlled. Like you could literally recreate a fight scene from the Dark Knight where Batman smashes a bad guys left and right, but like 'Asylum, the computer controls whether its best for you to punch, kick or throw in those situations. I also just recently pre-ordered Overgrowth, and I have to say it's worth every penny, and I haven't even really begun to dig into it. The Phoenix engine is simple, yet gorgeous (reminds me of F.E.A.R.'s Lithtech engine )the combat is swift and brutal, and the environments are HUGE. Would love to see Oni run on that engine, or even throw some Oni add-ons into it. Which by the way EdT you are a ridiculously talented for being able to accurately  import those Oni models into Overgrowth. Can they fight? smile

Dirk Gently wrote:

I am going to suggest Mirror's Edge, and my sudden wanting but inability to play that game again right now.

I remember installing that game, checking it out,  then promptly uninstalling it, Lol. I didn't hold my interest long enough to even get to the parts where I got to fight anyone. Maybe something I missed?

#11 07/09/12 15:07

EdT
Website

Would love to see Oni run on that engine, or even throw some Oni add-ons into it. Which by the way EdT you are a ridiculously talented for being able to accurately  import those Oni models into Overgrowth. Can they fight? smile

Thanks, it took a lot of trial and error to get them in the game.  Yes they can fight.  Since the animation is designed for animal skeletons, at times the movements can look awkward for the Oni characters.

Honestly though, I didn't like the melee system of Overgrowth, you don't get the control of your actions like Oni.

#12 07/09/12 15:07

MarlonArt

EdT wrote:

Would love to see Oni run on that engine, or even throw some Oni add-ons into it. Which by the way EdT you are a ridiculously talented for being able to accurately  import those Oni models into Overgrowth. Can they fight? smile

Thanks, it took a lot of trial and error to get them in the game.  Yes they can fight.  Since the animation is designed for animal skeletons, at times the movements can look awkward for the Oni characters.

Honestly though, I didn't like the melee system of Overgrowth, you don't get the control of your actions like Oni.

Agreed about the lack of control. You can attack, and actively block. Attack seems to be only context sensitive for now, as in, I can only strike when another opponent is nearby. I like being able to throw a punch and kick when I want. Do you have the models for download by any chance?

#13 07/09/12 19:07

Reaperette
Website

I was always searching for games like Oni. Gotta check out a few of the ones you all named.

#14 07/09/12 20:07

EdT
Website

Here is the link to the Oni Mod files for Overgrowth: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/oni%20mod.zip

#15 07/10/12 13:07

Delano762
Website

I also have to add that True Crime: Streets of LA had a nice (I think) fighting system.
And of course Tekken! Maybe it's not a TPS/TPP and you can't go/explore around and all that stuff, but like in Oni, fighting itself is the core of the game. In case you don't have a console, get an emulator of the first Playstation and get a Tekken 3 iso or disc.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#16 07/10/12 15:07

Valkyrur

Delano762 wrote:

I also have to add that True Crime: Streets of LA had a nice (I think) fighting system.
And of course Tekken! Maybe it's not a TPS/TPP and you can't go/explore around and all that stuff, but like in Oni, fighting itself is the core of the game. In case you don't have a console, get an emulator of the first Playstation and get a Tekken 3 iso or disc.

Yeah, I can say I have seen TC:SoLA's melee system.

But the game sucks hard though.

Not sure about TC:NY though, too long since I played it last. Atleast it isn't shit like SoLA.

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#17 07/10/12 18:07

MarlonArt

EdT wrote:

Here is the link to the Oni Mod files for Overgrowth: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/oni%20mod.zip

Thank you x1000!! I loaded the Oni level and it was a lot of fun to play. Great work!

#18 07/11/12 15:07

Delano762
Website

Certified wrote:

But the game sucks hard though.

Maybe you had a PC version? It was apparently worse than the PS2 version which was one of my first PS2 games. I've been playing it like crazy when I was younger.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#19 07/11/12 15:07

Jon God

My issue with True Crime, was that it felt like everything was on rails. Sure there was a huge city, but nothing to do in it. All the combat felt like press a few buttons, watch combo unfold.

It was one of those games that tried to do a lot, but succeeded at very little.

NYC was the same thing, a bit more freedom, and a lot less character. It felt like it needed like 6 months more of testing.

-JG

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

Board footer