Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/12/12 08:04

Vocaloawesome

MUGEN Oni??

thought i would bring this up out of curiosity, obviously there is a lot of modders etc here. was wondering if anybody had thought of making a konoko or muro MUGEN char?? thought it would go down a treat with all the nostalgia lovers out there... (me included)

herp a derp

#2 04/12/12 09:04

TOCS

Re: MUGEN Oni??

It wouldn't be that hard to do actually, just use the developer camera mode for the right angle, and use a program like Fraps to take pictures with an interval of like a half second.

I remember when I used mod Little Fighter 2 years ago, I believe it'd be same procedure.

#3 04/12/12 22:04

Lithium

Do you have any idea how long it would take? Making the sprites, building the SFF, coding the damn thing itself. It's a ridiculous thought. Not to mention coding a good Mugen character is difficult and you need to dedicate a lot of time to get decent at character making.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 04/13/12 00:04

TOCS

oxe161 wrote:

Do you have any idea how long it would take? Making the sprites, building the SFF, coding the damn thing itself. It's a ridiculous thought. Not to mention coding a good Mugen character is difficult and you need to dedicate a lot of time to get decent at character making.

I used to do this kind of stuff in Little Fighter 2, as I said, so yes, I know how long it takes. tongue I believe there're game templates available for use, or at least a core to start from. For starters, I'd probably go with experimenting with .gif files, to get the hang of it.

#5 04/13/12 00:04

Loser

TOCs, to get sprites is the easiest part of the process.

Set skybox textures to be pure white (or poisonous green or whatever color you pick).

Use chr_nocollision and chr_pin_characters to glue the performer on the deliberately selected spot.

Set camera angle via cm_orbit and cm_distance to get correct angle, so the character is viewed from side in and is in a pure monochromatic environment.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+L. Oni starts taking screen capture each frame.

Run a script of chr_animate commands, telling the character what to perform.

????

PROFIT

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#6 04/13/12 05:04

TOCS

Loser wrote:

Set skybox textures to be pure white (or poisonous green or whatever color you pick).

Use chr_nocollision and chr_pin_characters to glue the performer on the deliberately selected spot.

Set camera angle via cm_orbit and cm_distance to get correct angle, so the character is viewed from side in and is in a pure monochromatic environment.

Run a script of chr_animate commands, telling the character what to perform.

????

PROFIT

Exactly what I though too, with a pure background you won't have to focus on the details. The floor would probably also need to be entirely blank as well, unless the camera can be turned properly.

#7 04/13/12 17:04

Lithium

TOCS wrote:
oxe161 wrote:

I used to do this kind of stuff in Little Fighter 2, as I said, so yes, I know how long it takes. tongue I believe there're game templates available for use, or at least a core to start from. For starters, I'd probably go with experimenting with .gif files, to get the hang of it.

Mugen is an entire different process. Not only would you have to render every Konoko frame you take but also worry about paletting issues with it, as well as the face portrait sharing the same amount of colors. Okay and sure you can get every sprite and give it a palette, but the character coding is a bitch. You can try but I'll let you know that this is a difficult project if no one here has much experience with it. If you really want to start go and edit Kung Fu Man's files.

#8 04/14/12 07:04

TOCS

oxe161 wrote:
TOCS wrote:
oxe161 wrote:

Mugen is an entire different process. Not only would you have to render every Konoko frame you take but also worry about paletting issues with it, as well as the face portrait sharing the same amount of colors. Okay and sure you can get every sprite and give it a palette, but the character coding is a bitch. You can try but I'll let you know that this is a difficult project if no one here has much experience with it. If you really want to start go and edit Kung Fu Man's files.

That's why you'd build it on an existing project. I know there're tons of these kinds of projects, and some of them are most likely open source too.

Little Fighter 2 for instance, is fully modable. The LFE community has spend the last 12 years (at least) modifying it like crazy, and sometimes they create some amazing stuff.

#9 04/14/12 12:04

Lithium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTshtww … ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSGEfst3 … el&list=UL
compared to..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHPHpsqUUc

Er I don't think LF2 and Mugen have much in common, although since you know more of LF2 why not try the project there? Also I see it supports more than 2 fighters on the same screen, that might be better..

#10 04/14/12 13:04

Iritscen

Based on those videos, I'd have to say LF2 is clearly the superior fighting game.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#11 04/14/12 17:04

TOCS

Little Fighter 2 does offer a pretty varied combat system because you can move in all directions (x, y and z). I remember spending hours practicing, so I could beat my friends at school. tongue Later we discovered it was pretty easily modified in pretty much every aspect. Before I came to this community, I had quite some projects going for LF2. Unfortunately I've had quite a few wipes on my PC since then, so I can't retrieve anything.

If anyone is willing, we could try making Konoko a playable character with special moves etc. but it would require some help with a decent experienced scripter/coder, to make moves work correctly.

#12 04/14/12 21:04

Lithium

And I don't think any of us want to spend money for a spriter...

#13 04/15/12 06:04

TOCS

oxe161 wrote:

And I don't think any of us want to spend money for a spriter...

The characters sprites are the least of our concerns. Scripting the moves to be timed correctly with the animations is probably the trickiest part about it all. I can't remember what each variable does etc. so it'd take some time to figure it out.

#14 04/15/12 12:04

Lithium

Mugen doesn't require the timing part, although infinites are always a problem. Either way on both ends the project seems difficult, it might be possible though. Sadly I have no experience in character making... so guess it might be better to tackle it on LF2 as TOCS knows more about it... if he wants to I guess... :l

#15 04/15/12 13:04

TOCS

oxe161 wrote:

Mugen doesn't require the timing part, although infinites are always a problem. Either way on both ends the project seems difficult, it might be possible though. Sadly I have no experience in character making... so guess it might be better to tackle it on LF2 as TOCS knows more about it... if he wants to I guess... :l

Sure we could get something going, but I'm a little too busy these times to work on anything, I've got exams coming this Summer. I might have some actual spare time in the holidays though.

#16 02/20/13 22:02

EdT
Website

I recently found this game for the Mac, it is a lot of fun.

#17 02/20/13 23:02

Lithium

I forgot there was a Mac build, I'd recommend some full games for it however those are using a newer build of the engine..

Last edited by Lithium (02/20/13 23:02)

#18 02/21/13 00:02

EdT
Website

The Mac build uses Mugen 1.0.  I found some HD characters and stages that use the screen resolution 1280x720.  They look awesome.

What full games do you recommend?

To keep this post on topic, it would be cool to see Konoko in Mugen, but as mentioned it would require too much work.

#19 02/21/13 00:02

Lithium

Oh 1.0 then? Interesting, haven't heard much from the Dev team.

Er Shades of Manhattan 2 by Sean Altly. Although it might be a pain to set up properly since you'd have to drag and drop the chars, data, sound, and stages folder into a new Mac Mugen folder.

I think the better thing I can recommend are a few characters, mainly Vegeta and Goku
http://network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/
The other characters there aren't finished but it might be nice to check these out!

Edit: I wanted to learn CVS spriting so I could make a fullsheet for Boma from Stand Alone Complex and then use him as a first character since I wouldn't get eaten alive for making mistakes with him. Although I'd need to wait for a tablet but I am interested in one day contributing something GITS or Oni related. That's my goal.

Last edited by Lithium (02/21/13 01:02)

#20 02/22/13 00:02

EdT
Website

Installed Shades of Manhattan 2, thanks.

Why do you need a tablet to start making your own Mugen character?

#21 02/22/13 00:02

Samer
Website

Sorry to interfere, I know nothing about what mugen is but i read this

Loser wrote:

Run a script of chr_animate commands, telling the character what to perform. ..

i may have misunderstood but it sounds like you want to record konoko animations .. If so a much simpler approach is : use XSI to preview the animation on konoko model, the background and floor are monotone grey, you can easily view the move from any angle you want by moving the mouse and adjust the animation's speed, and fraps can record from xsi ...or you can move the animation one frame at a time manually (keyboard arrow) and take a screenshot of every frame.

Last edited by Samer (02/22/13 00:02)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#22 02/22/13 00:02

Lithium

EdT wrote:

Installed Shades of Manhattan 2, thanks.

Why do you need a tablet to start making your own Mugen character?

Spriting is easier that way. I would rather start making my own sprites rather than use existing.

Also samer that's useful information... one could get certain frames from moves and trace over them..

Last edited by Lithium (02/22/13 00:02)

Board footer