Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/06/11 23:12

Valkyrur

Has anyone here ever though of setting up a Steam group?

Anyone? Or am I just simply not informed? A steam group would help keep everyone in the community in better contact, and notification of events automatically, rather than having to look around here at the slow pace we all post at.

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#2 12/07/11 01:12

Lithium

Re: Has anyone here ever though of setting up a Steam group?

Or we could use the forum and ask about what we all play.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 12/07/11 11:12

Delano762
Website

Certified wrote:

Or am I just simply not informed?

Yes, you are not informed. We have a group here, its name is ONi2

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#4 12/07/11 12:12

Dirk Gently
Website

steam sucks.

#5 12/07/11 14:12

Yoriko

Dirk Gently wrote:

steam sucks.

Explain yourself right this instant!!

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#6 12/07/11 14:12

Delano762
Website

Yoriko wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

steam sucks.

<yawn>

Last edited by Delano762 (12/07/11 14:12)

#7 12/07/11 14:12

TOCS

I only use Steam when there's absolutely no other way of obtaining a game. I hate online distribution, and I really hate the breach in privacy that I have to accept, when using apps like Steam and Origin. I don't feel safe at all. Old-school CD-key installs are the best in my opinion.

#8 12/07/11 17:12

Dirk Gently
Website

Yoriko wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

steam sucks.

Well I could spend an hour or more explaining how shitty the steam client is, and how abysmal the design and construction of it is. I could also go on how windows is why we cannot have nice things.

#9 12/07/11 19:12

Knox

I use Steam to play some games. It's not that bad. That's just my opinion.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#10 12/07/11 22:12

Gumby

While I agree the UI needs a rework, the sales and convenience for having my games on any PC without juggling CDs can't be beat. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#11 12/08/11 01:12

TOCS

Dirk Gently wrote:
Yoriko wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

steam sucks.

Well I could spend an hour or more explaining how shitty the steam client is, and how abysmal the design and construction of it is. I could also go on how windows is why we cannot have nice things.

That's kind of a flat opinion, so to say. I wouldn't dump e.g. Total Commander just because of the GUI. Everything can't be all shiny and labelled with a half-eaten 'prestige' apple to its back. tongue It's really a dying race.

Last edited by TOCS (12/08/11 12:12)

#12 12/08/11 11:12

Stevinlewis

Dang so im not the only one thinking steam kinda sucks O:. Ive had it for about a day now and I thought itd be better than this. The words dont fit right and sometimes it just looks horrible, I dont know what the big deal about this is! >:l

#13 12/08/11 13:12

Lukas Kreator

It's not just about the UI, it's about how Steam does what it does. BTW, I hate Apple.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (12/08/11 14:12)

#14 12/08/11 15:12

TOCS

Lukas Kreator wrote:

It's not just about the UI, it's about how Steam does what it does. BTW, I hate Apple.

I wasn't really trying to defend Steam at all, because like I stated earlier, it's not my cup of tea. I just felt an urge, to point out his strange opinion on disliking Steam.

#15 12/08/11 15:12

Lukas Kreator

I know, just pointing out to people that the UI is a problem among a bunch of them. I just said "I hate Apple" so that you know I agree with "everything can't be all shiny and labelled with a half-eaten 'prestige' apple to its back."

#16 12/08/11 17:12

Iritscen

The UI isn't great, but my concern with Steam is how easily your games can be taken away from you.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#17 12/08/11 18:12

Dirk Gently
Website

It is also how:
* it uses sleep() as a core part of application's run loop
* it will just randomly break/crash
* the tooltips it uses are really windows
* the UI is in a constant state of being redrawn even if the window is minimized and not in focus or visible while the UI is 99% made of static images
* the source engine games rely on steam to be open to run the UI of said source games
* it eats cpu cycles to check the time since a person on your friend's list has been offline (this check runs constantly in a while (1) loop)
* has had multiple exploits in chat which provide a remote user access to execute commands on your system
* must be restarted every time you lose internet connection
* glorified web browser which has a number of exploits that allow you to play merry hell with the application itself

PS: your "awesome" overlay feature is due to the fact that there is a RIGHT WAY and a WRONG WAY to make full screen games. The RIGHT way allows you to use alt-tab with problems. The WRONG way makes everything go to fuck if you alt-tab. The over-use of the WRONG way is why you have an overlay to access a browser and other things while ingame. Yep, because MS cannot standardize and stop people from being morons with how they make games, you are forced to use this overlay.

This is why we cannot have nice things.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (12/08/11 18:12)

#18 12/08/11 19:12

Valkyrur

Dirk Gently wrote:

MS cannot standardize and stop people from being morons with how they make games, you are forced to use this overlay.

This is why we cannot have nice things.

After the terrible mess we know as GFWL I would prefer they have no way to regulate or standardize our PC games thank you very much.

I like my mod support and free DLC without MS coming in and saying we have to pay for everything (See Console L4D and Portal 2 DLC). I also like my dedicated servers and not Peer2Peer.

Oh and you are not forced to use an overlay, in the game properties and/or Steam options you can plainly disable overlay.

Last edited by Valkyrur (12/08/11 19:12)

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#19 12/08/11 23:12

Dirk Gently
Website

Forced in the sense that you cannot use your normal browser. Also if you read the post instead of taking that one part out of context you would see I am talking about standardizing their shitty graphics library smile

#20 12/09/11 01:12

TOCS

Dirk Gently wrote:

Forced in the sense that you cannot use your normal browser. Also if you read the post instead of taking that one part out of context you would see I am talking about standardizing their shitty graphics library smile

Standards and being enclosed is what defines Apple products. I don't think the usual PC enthusiasts wants to be depending on a defined standard like that. Why do you think games for Mac are released years after the PC release, and costs the double amount of money? It's because Apple needs certification on those games before being integrated. If everyone had that kind of mindset, there'd be no innovation without approval. No thank you, but I like my games out on time.

tl;dr: Standardizing is generally bad. Enforced rule sets will make innovation as we know it obsolete.

#21 12/09/11 06:12

Delano762
Website

Iritscen wrote:

but my concern with Steam is how easily your games can be taken away from you.

?

#22 12/09/11 07:12

Iritscen

TOCS wrote:

Standards and being enclosed is what defines Apple products. I don't think the usual PC enthusiasts wants to be depending on a defined standard like that. Why do you think games for Mac are released years after the PC release, and costs the double amount of money? It's because Apple needs certification on those games before being integrated.

No offense, but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about here.

@Delano: I'm referring to what happens if your Steam account gets disabled or you are VAC banned from one game.  If Valve decides you've violated one of the rules, they can reach out through the Internet and disable ALL your games.  In the old days a publisher could never do that, because you simply bought the game on a disc and installed it locally on a machine, maybe typing in a serial number from a manual to register it.  Perhaps this never affects most players, but I'm always kind of afraid that some crossed wire at Valve HQ will cause my games to get taken away from me with no warning.  Thank goodness T2 doesn't get to remotely disable Oni on our machines just because we broke the EULA by hacking the game's data.

#23 12/09/11 09:12

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:
TOCS wrote:

Standards and being enclosed is what defines Apple products. I don't think the usual PC enthusiasts wants to be depending on a defined standard like that. Why do you think games for Mac are released years after the PC release, and costs the double amount of money? It's because Apple needs certification on those games before being integrated.

No offense, but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about here.

@Delano: I'm referring to what happens if your Steam account gets disabled or you are VAC banned from one game.  If Valve decides you've violated one of the rules, they can reach out through the Internet and disable ALL your games.  In the old days a publisher could never do that, because you simply bought the game on a disc and installed it locally on a machine, maybe typing in a serial number from a manual to register it.  Perhaps this never affects most players, but I'm always kind of afraid that some crossed wire at Valve HQ will cause my games to get taken away from me with no warning.  Thank goodness T2 doesn't get to remotely disable Oni on our machines just because we broke the EULA by hacking the game's data.

Prove me wrong then? Ones gotta have a strange mindset to even come up with such an idea in the first place. :\

#24 12/09/11 16:12

Iritscen

TOCS wrote:

Prove me wrong then? Ones gotta have a strange mindset to even come up with such an idea in the first place. :\

What?  I don't really understand what idea you're talking about or what I'm supposed to prove.

#25 12/09/11 17:12

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:
TOCS wrote:

What?  I don't really understand what idea you're talking about or what I'm supposed to prove.

If I've no idea of what I'm talking about, at least prove me wrong.

Board footer