Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/04/11 15:12

Valkyrur

Is it possible to add a quicksaving mod?

Something I have wondered for a long time, since the sheer distance between checkpoints is frustrating. One wrong move in one of those platformer parts and you are back to getting your ass handed to you in some fight scene that you did 10-15 minutes ago. Especially frustrating when getting punched into the acid at the end of Science Prison.

So, I'm wondering to myself here: Is it possible to mod the game to allow quicksaves?

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#2 12/04/11 16:12

TOCS

Re: Is it possible to add a quicksaving mod?

A long time ago I came across this savegame editor. I'm not sure if it actually had the function of creating alternate save spots. But I'm pretty sure you/it can't create saves besides those which are already there. You might be able to tweak the spots though, but I'd require some work with the level scripts.

#3 12/04/11 16:12

Lukas Kreator

Maybe an external app wich manipulates the persist.dat, when a bound key is pressed, so that a specific savepoint becomes the current position of Konoko?

#4 12/04/11 19:12

Dirk Gently
Website

I was looking into this at one point. It is theoretically possible to create an application that would be able to do this, however it would also need to dynamically generate level scripts because while it is relatively easy to record the location and state of all the objects loaded in a map, doing that with the unknown conditionals of triggered events would require some extensive work in dynamic level script generation and loading. This gets pretty tricky. Also it is highly unlikely that you would be able to save the position and state of any projectiles.

#5 12/05/11 06:12

Lukas Kreator

Good point.

#6 12/05/11 08:12

Iritscen

Yep, Dirk pretty much laid out all the issues.  The short answer is that the Oni engine just doesn't support that kind of saving.  If you could run Oni in an emulator, I suppose you could do a save state.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 12/05/11 08:12

TOCS

In fact, Oni would be so much easier to handle if we exported everything into a different engine. smile

#8 12/05/11 09:12

Dirk Gently
Website

In theory with extensive work done to saved state of projectiles that the game could support dynamic saving as it has support for up to 10 checkpoints for each level. In vanilla oni this leaves you with most of the file blank. Oni just has no way of placing projectiles with the same situations and velocites that they were when the game was saved. AI, weapons, pickups, corpses, etc can all be placed and have states set on them, the only problem that would come up is the decision tree of the AI as to what they are going to do based on where they are.

Board footer