Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/16/11 01:09

jwill

Here's an idea...

Ok....I was wondering if someone could make a youtube video (or videos) that  shows, step by step, how to install Oni and the  AE on windows Vista, Windows 7 and Mac.

Good Idea?

Bad Idea?

#2 09/16/11 05:09

TOCS

Re: Here's an idea...

It might be a good idea, but unnecessary in my opinion. It would clearly help people who's having trouble installing it, but the readme included with the Anniversary Edition is pretty clear and easy.
Maybe I'm being a little rude now, but lately it's been due to peoples stupidity and incompetence, that a lot of these issues has happened. >_> No offense intended of course.

Put it like this: if you want to write a book, you gotta learn the alphabet as step one. The same formula can be inserted in this case: if you want to install the Anniversary Edition, you gotta understand the basics of computing in general, and in some cases just pure logic. smile

I think if we want to fix these problems; address some of the known issues in the readme, like that you need at least one mod installed in order to launch the game etc. If people are still incapable of getting it working, refer to my suggested formula. tongue

Last edited by TOCS (09/16/11 05:09)

#3 09/16/11 06:09

Iritscen

The read-me does actually say that you need to install at least one mod before playing Oni.  I wouldn't say that it's stupidity that's causing issues (yes, that is actually kind of rude), but rather that people are used to things working without reading instructions.  As someone who always at least scans over a read-me before using a program, it's hard for me to have sympathy with this problem smile  I took pains to make the read-me as simple and straightforward as possible.  The one goof I made was that the Updating section tells people to put Edition/ inside Oni/, but the Installing section does not.  We'll definitely fix that for next time.

I don't know what Gumby's feeling is on making a video, but personally I think it's easier (and more reliable) to just read a few sentences of text than to play a video that conveys the same thing.  I dislike video tutorials as a general rule, since they usually have only a few seconds of crucial information buried within the video that you actually need to see in order to learn what you need to know, surrounded by a few minutes of talking and pointing at things with the cursor.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 09/16/11 11:09

Lukas Kreator

Why do people make threads about problems that could be fixed by installing at least one mod, when the solution is in the read me?
I mean, reading a "read me" is a lot easier than signing up and making a new thread about it.

#5 09/16/11 14:09

Gumby

You don't even have to check anything, just hit the install button like the installer says.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#6 09/16/11 15:09

TOCS

And that's exactly my point! If people are incapable of doing that, it's just a shame. tongue

#7 09/16/11 16:09

Lithium

Can anyone teach me how to make a good post?

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#8 09/16/11 16:09

Yoriko

oxe161 wrote:

Can anyone teach me how to make a good post?

Try making it something about the topic.

I'd like it if you could include what to do if your computer tells you that you havent got full access to your oni folder in the AE read-me.
I've seen many new threads about that exact problem. hmm
I think it's only a problem for vista and 7 users though.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#9 09/16/11 18:09

Iritscen

Yeah, that's a good point.  We might link from the read-me to a FAQ.

#10 09/16/11 19:09

jwill

Oh my...I'm terribly sorry, i was only trying to make a suggestion, I really wasn't trying to get on anyone's nerves. sad There's a site with a few people who work with an old game kinda like this one, and they have youtube videos that have caught people's eye and helped get others interested in the game again. I've even thrown in a few suggestions about gun modifications........

Blah blah blah....my point is I'm sorry if I have annoyed anyone all I was really trying to do is.....I guess become a little more active here. Since I can't play the game I wan't to do as much as I can to help out, even if it's just making a suggestion here and there (since I'm not a computer programmer)....otherwise I'll just feel useless.

PS: I wasn't linking this to my problem, earlier, I'll state whenever I have a problem on that other thread of mine. Again I'm sorry for bothering anyone.

#11 09/17/11 07:09

Iritscen

Please don't take it personally, jwill.  I suppose we didn't need so many people chiming in to say that they thought it was a bad idea.  It's true that our documentation could be improved, for one thing.  And videos of mods are also good for publicity, and we do upload those to YouTube once in a while.  I suppose, if anything, you're seeing proof that the forum gets a bit tired of people reporting issues with the AE/mods, and you just kind of accidentally pushed the wrong button smile

#12 09/17/11 12:09

Yoriko

Are you sure there's no way to run Oni on your computer jwill? I'd hate if you're on this forum seeing how much fun everyone else has with Oni AE. sad

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#13 09/17/11 15:09

jwill

Yeah... I'm kinda sure. So far All I can get is the main menu for the original oni, then it says blam oni crashed if i click new game. With oni in the Edition folder, A black screen pops up then says blam oni crashed.

But that's OK I'll still keep working at it. As long as i can critique stuff and give input here on the forums Ill be happy wink

For example: There was a pretty cool character someone made and displayed on another forum that looked like a harlequin from Assassin's Creed. Whoever made it, nice Job smile

#14 09/17/11 15:09

Sokruneskape59
Banned

jwill wrote:

Yeah... I'm kinda sure. So far All I can get is the main menu for the original oni, then it says blam oni crashed if i click new game. With oni in the Edition folder, A black screen pops up then says blam oni crashed.

But that's OK I'll still keep working at it. As long as i can critique stuff and give input here on the forums Ill be happy wink

For example: There was a pretty cool character someone made and displayed on another forum that looked like a harlequin from Assassin's Creed. Whoever made it, nice Job smile

You ned, an official oni standard dll, i will show you but i cannot post it here, it will fix definitly.

if you got msn, i send.

Last edited by Sokruneskape59 (09/17/11 15:09)

#15 09/17/11 15:09

jwill

Is Yahoo ok?

#16 09/17/11 15:09

Sokruneskape59
Banned

jwill wrote:

Is Yahoo ok?

Yahoo is ok. give me it ill add you

Go on a messenger, so we can talk.

Last edited by Sokruneskape59 (09/17/11 15:09)

#17 09/17/11 15:09

jwill

jwill5893@yahoo.com

#18 09/17/11 15:09

Sokruneskape59
Banned

jwill wrote:

jwill5893@yahoo.com

Added, accept

#19 09/17/11 17:09

Iritscen

Um, I have no idea who that guy is, jwill, but he couldn't have anything that we don't have in the community.

#20 09/17/11 18:09

Samer
Website

jwill wrote:

o_O WHERE SHOW me big_smile !

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#21 09/17/11 18:09

jwill

Samer wrote:

o_O WHERE SHOW me big_smile !

Okay then, here's the link http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1964

Actually I do believe this is your post. On the first page, there is a character who is purple and kind of like a jester. He reminds me of the Harlequin from Assassins Creed. Maby if he were yellow and redish and had a mask, then he'd look even more like it. wink

#22 09/17/11 20:09

Knox

That's the Mutant Jester. Yes, Samer made that, and he is fun to play as, and especially fun to spam his C+P Toomball move (I think that's what it's called. Please to correct me if I'm wrong. smile)

Last edited by Knox (09/17/11 20:09)

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#23 09/18/11 04:09

Samer
Website

when u said another forum ... i thought u meant, ... well another forum :\ other than the Oni Central Forum .. what u meant to say is on another thread ^^

yes i made him, was inspired by jester from 'devil may cry 3' a video game, google him if u want ... never hear of that assassin creed's character, though i own the game i still haven't played it tongue ^^
thx knox & the move is called doom ball smile

Last edited by Samer (09/18/11 04:09)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#24 09/18/11 10:09

Knox

Oh. Thanks Samer!

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

Board footer