Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/03/11 17:09

TOCS

Battlefield 3 vs. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

I've been lead across this subject a few times during my daytime on work, and on the internet. This is mostly for those of you that are expecting either of these games; which game do you prefer, and why?
Personally I'd pick Battlefield 3 over Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 due to the mass innovation DICE is doing every year. The new Call of Duty game seems more of an expansion or map pack to me, rather than a full AAA game at full prize.

What are your opinions, if you do have one? smile

#2 09/03/11 21:09

Yoriko

Re: Battlefield 3 vs. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

I got nothing to say on this matter, I havent played neither cause I hate games about war.

[useless post]

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#3 09/03/11 23:09

Bozzman

Battlefield 3

-Vehicles
-Frostbite Engine (unless MW3 completely revamps it'll be nearly identical to CoD 4,5,6,7)
-Designed respecting the PC as a gaming platform (check some of the teaser vids, mouse and keyboard commands) Check it --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwOrl036_A
-Series not known (at least to me) for screaming teenage boys in multiplayer.

Not trying to hate on CoD, I loved CoD4 (the first modern warfare) it's just that everything that's followed it hasn't been much different.

Here take this hypo!

#4 09/04/11 02:09

Mukade

Speaking as a non-screaming teenager, that's nice to hear. I guess all the little kids play CoD -_-

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#5 09/04/11 09:09

Lithium

Kid: Mom these people are making fun of me on Xbox live
Mom: Stop making fun of my kid!
*Players continue to harass*
Mom: That's it!
Kid: No mom don't do unplu-
*Ponyman1337 has Disconnected*

neutral

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#6 09/04/11 09:09

Iritscen

Sometimes I get completely turned off to a game just due to the fanbase.  That's part of why I never got into Halo.  I was watching the Bungie Vidoc and every Halo fan standing in line looked like a fratboy.  I've left other fan forums for games I liked just because I didn't like the fanbase.  So although I haven't played either Battlefield or CoD, I would have to go with the one that has more mature players online.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 09/04/11 11:09

Mukade

Iritscen wrote:

Sometimes I get completely turned off to a game just due to the fanbase.

I know exactly what you mean, I've never been a fan of "mainstream" games, if you know what I mean. Stuff like you were saying, Halo and such that all the jocks and rednecks play. I like games that make me feel like an actual gamer, such as Oni, and a lot of Star Wars games :-/

I admit to playing a few of these games, I own CoD Black Ops, and it's a good game, I've done some Halo and such but I've never gotten into it.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#8 09/04/11 12:09

Dirk Gently
Website

Halo 1 was the only good one the series, and CoD2 was the last good CoD game.

#9 09/04/11 12:09

SektorZ
Website

CoD: Black Ops is a mighty fine multiplayer experience. I get to play it alot on the Xbox and on the Wii, and it's really fun... It's also really fun getting killed 500's of times on the Wii because of the smaller resolution but the gameplay feels alot cooler.

Anyways, as Mukade said, I too have never been a fan of "mainstream" games, the only games I ever got addicted to were Fallout, Mass Effect 2 and Black Ops.

I suggest you guys try Mass Effect 2 for the amazing cinematics and graphics, Fallout for the open world, and Black Ops for the multiplayer experience. If there were Oni 2, I'd love it if it had all that big_smile

#10 09/04/11 12:09

TOCS

Dirk Gently wrote:

Halo 1 was the only good one the series, and CoD2 was the last good CoD game.

I agree on the Call of Duty part. The evolution of the series actually did the largest step in the series from Call of Duty to Call of Duty 2. Since then, they've just kept reproducing the same game, on the same engine with minor tweaks in graphics. But I believe it relies mostly on Activision. They've become more greedy over the years, and ended a few series because of the exaggerating milking of their franchises, including Guitar Hero, Tony Hawks etc.

Though EA Games isn't any better on that part, I believe DICE still do have words, before they decide when they want their next title on the market. We don't see a fully priced Battlefield game every year.

Last edited by TOCS (09/04/11 12:09)

#11 09/04/11 13:09

Dirk Gently
Website

SektorZ wrote:

CoD: Black Ops is a mighty fine multiplayer experience. I get to play it alot on the Xbox and on the Wii, and it's really fun... It's also really fun getting killed 500's of times on the Wii because of the smaller resolution but the gameplay feels alot cooler.

Anyways, as Mukade said, I too have never been a fan of "mainstream" games, the only games I ever got addicted to were Fallout, Mass Effect 2 and Black Ops.

I suggest you guys try Mass Effect 2 for the amazing cinematics and graphics, Fallout for the open world, and Black Ops for the multiplayer experience. If there were Oni 2, I'd love it if it had all that big_smile

I don't buy a game for multiplayer, if I want to have a multiplayer experience I go talk to friends.

#12 09/04/11 14:09

Iritscen

The problem with talking to your friends is that you don't get to shoot them with rocket launchers or fight against aliens together, so it's not much of a "multiplayer experience".  And I thought you played TF2, was I wrong?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#13 09/04/11 14:09

Dirk Gently
Website

Iritscen wrote:

The problem with talking to your friends is that you don't get to shoot them with rocket launchers or fight against aliens together, so it's not much of a "multiplayer experience".  And I thought you played TF2, was I wrong?

Until it went bad.

Difference between TF2 and CoD is that TF2 is only multiplayer, whereas CoD was originally designed around single player and could stand alone with single player. It cannot stand alone with single player anymore. If it does not have the multiplayer component it would never survive.

#14 09/04/11 14:09

TOCS

That's the fate of revolution, and also the reason I started buying games. Without a multiplayer component, I don't find enough reason to actually get a game the legit way. Everything I played during the 90's and early 00's were pretty much all pirated games.

If I buy a singleplayer game, it's only for supporting the developer, which is also a reason I tend to pirate games; test it out and then determine whether it'd be worth buying.

That's pretty much my procedure for every media, and I've been doing this since I got my first PC.

Last edited by TOCS (09/04/11 14:09)

#15 09/04/11 15:09

Mukade

I think the reason people think CoD went down the drain is because they're like you, and don't appreciate the Multiplayer as much as the Singleplayer. I admit, the Black Ops campaign kinda sucked, story wise, but I agree that the multiplayer is really good, especially with the level of character customization. Those that are more in it for PvP and the "Multiplayer experience" don't see it the same way, as you might.

#16 09/04/11 15:09

Jon God

I don't buy multiplayer games most of the time. If a game is multiplayer centric, and/or has no, or a aweful campaign, I wont buy it.

There are a few very rare cases of this not being true. Warhawk being the only one I can think of offhand.

For me it's all about a story, and campaign. Split screen is the other side of the coin for me, if it has both of these, I will most likely buy it.... If it's an interesting game....

Which brings me to the topic at hand.

I hope Call of Duty fails, and I don't care about BF3. The way Activision operates is pushing the whole industry down a bad bad path. (Screwing with developers, so that the main people are no longer around, then using their name to sell games. Making essentially the same game over and over until no one likes it anymore, and not because you have an idea for another game. charging obscene amounts for Downloadable Content. ect. ect)

I really wont play Battlefield or Call of Duty, as I find them exceedingly boring.

My 2¢.

-JG

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#17 09/04/11 16:09

Mukade

I'm all for continuing with the CoD genre, but where they're going wrong is how they're keeping it all under the same name. Sure, it's nice to see the small steps FPSes are taking, but that doesn't mean you have to make it all the same thing. Take the idea of CoD, start from scratch, add some newer mechanics, and make it a new franchise. At least that way, they won't be able to compare it to a previous version of the game. Right now, all they're doing with CoD is "pissing on us without the courtesy of calling it rain", if I may borrow the expression. It seems everytime they make a new CoD, it's the same thing, only a bit different.

I don't know if I'm making sense, I might not be getting my idea across, but it makes sense in my head >_>

#18 09/04/11 17:09

Yoriko

I like games whoms developers isnt thinking of satisfying everyone but a small group and for that group it makes an awesome game.

Too bad most people become greedy at every chance they get and not making games, movies, you name it for passion of making something people can enjoy.

Last edited by Yoriko (09/04/11 17:09)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

Board footer