Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/14/11 20:08

Seventeen Seconds

An Oni casual game?

Reminiscing over Oni in its 10th year (already!?) and looking over DarkLitra's chibi sketches, just reminded me how compelling the Oni universe is... it is really as atmospheric as Stalker at times!  There are wonderfully personable characters and the main has so much pathos it's easy to pull for her.  The game just drips character.  Not to minimize the awesome gameplay but Oni has a ton of assets as a franchise! 

Obviously a triple A game requires years of work, talent, and capital.  But casual and flash games are more realistic targets for smaller developers.  I'm just floating the idea -- but who'd be interested in having a small nostalgic time-waster to freshen things up?  Original sounds, voices, music, but you could play it on the bus or just as a 15-minute diversion?  Kind of like Angry Birds, but more Oni, more awesome, more fun and you wouldn't be embarrassed to be associated with it.

So: would you want to play a 10th anniversary Oni game, if someone did a good job?  Just curious!  Not that I'd be opposed to taking the idea further, of course...

#2 08/14/11 22:08

EdT
Website

Re: An Oni casual game?

Seventeen Seconds:  Long time no see, nice to have you back.  A casual Oni game would be fun, perhaps it could get others interested in Oni again.

Also, since we can now create new levels with pathfinding grids, it opens up the way for mini games within Oni.

We could use your 3D model making skills even more so now.

#3 08/15/11 08:08

Seventeen Seconds

Shoot me a PM for anything specific you guys are after.

It's been a pretty intense year for me on a professional level since about last summer -- my life has only started to breathe and leave me time for hobbies and creativity since about a month ago.

#4 08/15/11 12:08

Mukade

Isn't there already some kind of Oni flash game? It's been awhile but I seem to recall...

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#5 08/16/11 12:08

Yoriko

Mukade wrote:

Isn't there already some kind of Oni flash game? It's been awhile but I seem to recall...

The only thing I know about that is that there was a flash video made with Oni artwork. I dunno about a flash game though.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#6 08/16/11 21:08

Seventeen Seconds

I can't find or remember anything.  Either way if it's this hard for devoted fans to recall, I guarantee there's space for it.  I figure some kind of lighthearted quest from Shinatama's POV where she is trying to find a birthday present for Konoko might work... keep it light, make a ton of in-jokes, fire all the original guns, see all the fave characters, and keep it short and sweet.  Cute, fun, funny, and nostalgic... reserve the hardcore stuff for Oni 2.

If anyone has any ideas for other concepts that might work, or advice, fire away.... it'd be nice to revive some love for the game from outside the tight little family that still exists here.

#7 08/17/11 02:08

Mukade

Sweet and simple yes, but I mean c'mon, it should at LEAST be rated T... I mean I love Oni, but that would kinda be like Star Wars Christmas Edition :-/

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#8 08/17/11 14:08

TheCreature

Make it a Tower Defense, where you're the Deadly Brain trying to keep an army of TCTF from reaching you and turning you off.

You could have all the original guns in turret form (aren't they anyways?) and then the different levels of TCTF characters swarming in, with Konoko as the near-impossible boss.  Alternately, you could be Shinitama defending the TCTF HQ against the Syndicate.

Or:

Make a game similar to Cartoon Wars (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cartoon- … 7225?mt=8#) where you and your enemy have a tower on either side of the field, and you spam underlings to destroy each other's tower.  There are also turrets on your tower for those times the underlings just don't cut it.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#9 08/17/11 14:08

Lukas Kreator

Good ideas, could be cool.

#10 08/17/11 15:08

Mukade

I love TheCreature's ideas big_smile

#11 08/17/11 15:08

Iritscen

TheCreature wrote:

Make it a Tower Defense, where you're the Deadly Brain trying to keep an army of TCTF from reaching you and turning you off.

You could have all the original guns in turret form (aren't they anyways?) and then the different levels of TCTF characters swarming in, with Konoko as the near-impossible boss.  Alternately, you could be Shinitama defending the TCTF HQ against the Syndicate.

Ooh, clever.  I like how the Shinatama and Deadly Brain ideas tie into the story.  But I'm not sure that Shinatama had anything to do with TCTF's defenses in that level.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#12 08/17/11 16:08

Mukade

wiki wrote:

However approaching the command consoles of an active Deadly Brain is deemed virtually impossible, so this so-called flaw in the system is considered insignificant.

I guess Mai showed them ^_^

#13 08/17/11 16:08

Iritscen

Yeah, the Deadly Brain really needed some harder laser patterns.  I seem to recall that you can just stroll through the first level defenses.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#14 08/17/11 17:08

Lukas Kreator

Shinatama is much harder than the Deadly Brain, for a number of reasons.
Sometimes I even fall through the holes on the floor XD

#15 08/17/11 17:08

Mukade

Anyone know if it's possible to create new laser patterns?

#16 09/04/11 14:09

Seventeen Seconds

These are good ideas and I'm considering them.  The deadly brain is a nice idea especially.  Both those genres also have tutorials, which is a major step in actually completing the flash.  Thanks to all who offered feedback.

Another idea that's occurred to me is a kind of turn-based isometric combat puzzle -- you get either 3,4, or 5 actions to disarm or defeat the enemies in each room based off low, mid or high tier characters.  Subsequently they have a turn to counterattack.  Difficulty scales and it mixes guns and H+H.  It'd be a much larger project though as it would involve more animations and basic AI.

#17 09/04/11 14:09

Mukade

Ummm... like Gladiator flash game, (if you've ever played it)?

#18 09/04/11 15:09

Seventeen Seconds

It's not RPG combat.  You'd plan the entire turn in advance (move, disarm opponent, fire on the other 2 at the back of the room) so it plays out like an action movie.  Very fast.  Then again i may have looked at the wrong game, if you have a link feel free to post it.

#19 09/04/11 16:09

Mukade

Oh, so, more like a "rock paper scissors" thing, but more complex? (More than three options)

#20 09/04/11 18:09

Seventeen Seconds

Yep, the complexity would scale so it appeals to all audiences.  However the deadly brain tower defense may be a better start

#21 09/18/11 15:09

Satyr

I'd make it like a streetfighter game where you can pick up some items and powerups (guns, hypo's etc). If it's too much work to design whole levels, just make it a last man standing game where you basically play in a fixed screen where you have to survive for a set time to advance to the next level.

Example: start out in the training room where you have to hold of against the bots for 2 minutes. If you can do that, you move on.

Have her fighting against the TCTF and the syndicate.

And do include a pizza that will make her hallucinate. big_smile

Oh, and if you guys decide to go through with this, I'd gladly make a soundtrack. smile

Last edited by Satyr (09/18/11 15:09)

#22 09/18/11 15:09

Delano762
Website

How about a 2D platformer?

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#23 09/21/11 08:09

Sharoduinn

Delano762 wrote:

How about a 2D platformer?

Super Konoko Bros.? tongue

I recall reading a review of a program (can't remember its name) that lets you make 2d and simple 3d games extremely easily without any coding or technical stuff like that.
The program wasn't free, but it looked worth buying.

Btw I'd like to play all of those games suggested earlier big_smile

Last edited by Sharoduinn (09/21/11 08:09)

"Sorry about the mess"

#24 09/21/11 08:09

s10k
Website

Maybe you can give a chance to this?
http://script10000.oni2.net/rpg.html

#25 09/26/11 18:09

Mukade

How about an Oni RPG? I know of programs that make that kind of stuff easy, sorta like a pokemon type thing. You'd have to make textures and stuff, but it might be fun to try ^_^

Board footer