Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#176 06/19/11 07:06

Iritscen

Re: Oni Intel-native build for OS X

simX wrote:

• Also mentioned before, if subtitles are enabled, they don't stay onscreen long enough for you to read them while the character is speaking her lines.  Would be nice to get that fixed.

Yep, we've logged that as a bug to be fixed.

With these keybindings, crouch + left, right, and back all work correctly and allow me to sneak, but crouch + forward doesn't.  Crouch + forward with the default QWERTY keybindings works correctly, too.

I was able to reproduce this bug, not only in the Intel build but in the PPC build.  Seems that it's always been there.  But I will report it as a bug, even though it's not specific to the new build.

• One other thing I've noticed which I think is a different behavior: when sliding (running + crouch), in the old Oni you used to be able to press the swap/pick up button ('q' in the default QWERTY bindings) while sliding in order to pick things up.  Now, that doesn't work.  I have to press the swap button *twice* in quick succession while sliding in order to pick things up.  Is this normal?

Hmm, I haven't had any trouble with sliding pickups myself.  Getting a low frame rate can cause dropped key input, but that's probably not an issue with the Intel build.  Maybe it's the comma key that's causing this one too?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#177 06/19/11 13:06

Dirk Gently
Website

I believe OSX handles Dvorak keycodes differently than qwerty. This is probably arising from the fact that nobody working on oni had a dvorak keyboard. I know of one person that uses a dvorak keyboard, and I have never seen a physical one. There are physical differences with the keycodes given, this is probably the cause of the problem. If i am reading this correctly and this is isolated to the dvorak keyboard setup then I don't believe we can do anything unless we can test with a dvorak keyboard. otherwise if it is present with qwerty as well, I would have to assume that is not a bug, but a "feature". neutral

#178 06/19/11 14:06

Iritscen

Er, Dirk, I just said I was able to reproduce the problem on my QWERTY keyboard by binding crouch to comma smile  The comma key happens to be more convenient for simX because he's on a different kind of keyboard, but there's clearly something Oni just doesn't like about the comma, and the period, and who knows what other keys, which leaves me wondering what the true extent of the issue is.

#179 06/19/11 15:06

Dirk Gently
Website

Oh, I thought you meant reproduce with a dvorak key layout setting.

#180 06/19/11 15:06

Iritscen

Come on, you're supposed to read my mind. smile

#181 06/20/11 06:06

simX

Yoriko wrote:
simX wrote:

A few more things I've experienced after playing things for a while:

• In Level 9 (Regional State Building), there was a weird issue that occurred near the end of the level.  There's a place near the end composed of three levels that have locked doors, and you encounter a cutscene with Mukade when you open the last door on the top floor (see this screenshot for where I'm talking about: http://homepage.mac.com/simx/screenshot … evel_9.png ).  However, this section is protected by a bunch of lasers, which you should be able to disable.  The console that should disable the lasers (if I remember correctly, you go back out the way you came in to this section but via door on the third floor), though, is locked and doesn't work.  Am I remembering this incorrectly, or is something actually going wrong?  I searched around everywhere and couldn't find another possible console that could disable the lasers.

After the cutscene with Konoko discovering her fathers file and you see Mukade on the top floor hacking into the system and downloading her fathers file on a disk which he runs away with, there will be two consoles available in the room you're in, one opens the doors to the room in the screenshot and the other activates the console that you can use to disable the lasers and open the other doors.
If that doesnt work, I dont know what to do. roll

Oops, you're right, I missed that there was a second console in that room.  Nevermind about this bug, 'cause it's not a bug.

#182 06/20/11 06:06

Iritscen

simX, we talked this over, and isn't the real problem with the crouch+forward issue that you're using a punctuation key in conjunction with the Shift key?  Punctuation and numeric row keys produce different characters when the Shift key is being held down, unlike the letter keys, where a capital letter is considered the same as the lower-case version internally.  You would have to also bind the ">" character to forward, for instance, in order to move forward with the "." key while crouched.  However, none of the "upper-case" punctuation such as ">" is bindable in Oni.

#183 06/21/11 22:06

simX

Iritscen wrote:

simX, we talked this over, and isn't the real problem with the crouch+forward issue that you're using a punctuation key in conjunction with the Shift key?  Punctuation and numeric row keys produce different characters when the Shift key is being held down, unlike the letter keys, where a capital letter is considered the same as the lower-case version internally.  You would have to also bind the ">" character to forward, for instance, in order to move forward with the "." key while crouched.  However, none of the "upper-case" punctuation such as ">" is bindable in Oni.

I guess?  It's not like I have access to the source code, so I don't know how Oni handles keys internally. tongue  All I know is as a user of the game, what keys I use shouldn't affect the gameplay.

It's not *that* big of a problem, I can always change my layout to QWERTY before launching Oni, but it'd be nice to get it fixed, if possible.  The other bugs are definitely higher priority.

#184 06/21/11 22:06

Dirk Gently
Website

we can see what we can do about it. logically it should not matter the keys. I can look into properties of the dvorak keyboard layout in relation to qwerty, even it comes down to forcing the game to run with a qwerty layout. From there, we can talk with feral and see if they have anything they can do.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (06/21/11 22:06)

#185 06/22/11 05:06

Iritscen

The issue has nothing to do with keyboard layout; you could be using the Martian GCHZBRK keyboard for all it matters.  The issue is that Oni does not treat "upper-case" punctuation (that is, the symbol you reach with Shift) the same as "lower-case" punctuation.  I wasn't aware that other games did, but if you're telling me that most games treat the period key the same when holding down Shift, I suppose this would be considered a bug.

#186 06/22/11 05:06

Dirk Gently
Website

dvorak keyboard layout says the location of the qwerty "w" is a "," so if the game was to force qwerty controls, that would be mapped to a "w", not a ",". This is not a very good approach, but it is a last resort solution.

#187 07/12/11 13:07

simX

FWIW, finishing the last level causes Oni to crash when trying to load the ending movie under Lion (GM).

#188 07/12/11 14:07

Iritscen

simX, this beta release did not support playback of the movies.  What's happening is that, when you beat the game, Oni normally plays its outro and then immediately quits.  In this beta, it knows that it can't play the Bink file, so it simply goes directly to quitting.  The final release *is* slated to have movie playback, however.

#189 12/23/11 22:12

kabbage

whoa! i am a HUGE ONI fan, can i get in on this testing please? i am on a MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7 [MacBookPro8,2] with 8GB RAM - i freaked out when i found this forum! - k

#190 12/23/11 22:12

EdT
Website

kabbage: you can find the notes and link to the beta here:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 710#p31710

#191 02/11/12 12:02

Frotz

Hi All!

This is such a cool game! I've played it since it was first released and hung-out at Bungie's booth one MacWorld before release just to bask in the excellence they were about to unleash! Now I have the game on my old G4 and my new 'book. You guys are awesome for getting this gem updated to run on current hardware! Wow!! I'm patiently looking forward to a new release that has the to-do's moved into the ta-daaa column! Woo hoo! tongue

Thanks,
Andre.

#192 02/11/12 12:02

Dirk Gently
Website

Stay tuned. smile

#193 10/23/12 00:10

Wires77

Any news on this?

#194 11/22/13 01:11

AaronPDX

Does this work at all on Mountain Lion? It's not launching for me but that may be because I have a botched AETools customized configuration.

#195 11/22/13 09:11

Iritscen

It works for me in Mavericks, so I imagine it works in Mountain Lion smile

#196 02/16/14 00:02

makhan

What do I need to run this version?
I downloaded the file and tried running it but it complained about GameDataFolder missing.
Am I supposed to get this folder along with game data from another source?

I created one but the game still doesn't start. It just created the following files:
debugger.txt

[== Undefined ==]
Error 1 reported from File: /Volumes/FeralDev/OniSourceCode/OniSource/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/OniProj/OniMacOSX/../../BungieFrameWork/BFW_Source/BFW_TemplateManager/BFW_TM_Game.c, Line: 2530 (message follows)

Error 1 reported from File: /Volumes/FeralDev/OniSourceCode/OniSource/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/OniProj/OniMacOSX/../OniGameSource/Oni_Level.c, Line: 404 (message follows)

Error 1 reported from File: /Volumes/FeralDev/OniSourceCode/OniSource/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/OniProj/OniMacOSX/../OniGameSource/Oni.c, Line: 995 (message follows)

startup.txt

[== Undefined ==]
Begin initializing Oni.
Version 1.1b2
Oni is in Shipping Mode with Developer Mode enabled.
Looking for the game data folder.
initializing template manager...
DataFolder = GameDataFolder
Created a file iterator for the data folder.
calling TMrRegisterTemplates
calling ONrRegisterTemplates
initializing oni platform-specific code...
initializing sound system 2, basic level...
initializing basic sound system 2 layer...
initializing oni persistance...
initializing scripting...
initializing binary data system...
initializing imaging...
initializing image system...
initializing motoko...
initializing 3D display system..
initializing geometry engines...
initializing draw engines...
initializing physics...
initializing oni motoko...
initializing local input...
initializing input system...
initializing animation system...
initializing animation system...
initializing environment...
initializing text system...
initializing the console...
initializing the materials...
initializing the full sound system 2...
initializing full sound system 2...
initializing particle 3...
initializing oni particle 3...
initializing env particle system...
initializing physics...
initializing game state...
initializing ai 2...
initializing window manager...
initializing film system...
initializing level...
initializing oni scripting...
initializing OBDr...
initializing OBJr...
initializing oni cinematics...
initializing oni sound...
initializing oni movie...
initializing the pause screen...
finished oni initializing
loading level 0...

p.s. I'm trying to run it on OS X Maverics, MacBook Pro from late 2013

Last edited by makhan (02/16/14 00:02)

#197 02/16/14 09:02

Iritscen

Hi makhan.  The application is supposed to go in your pre-existing Oni installation, replacing the Oni.app that's there.  If it's not next to GameDataFolder, it won't load.

#198 11/09/14 13:11

SAHunterMech

BUUUUUUUUUMP.

So, uh, Oni won't run anymore in Yosemite. It bounces in the dock for a second, and then quits. Yep. Sucks.

#199 03/01/15 11:03

Barnak

Hi guys,

I downloaded the Oni app 1.1b5 (2011) for OS X last night, and it's working great.
The 4x FSAA (antialiasing) is working great too.

However, I still have the screen tearing effect when I play Oni, and it's annoying.
Is there a way to settup the vsync to get rid if it ?

Is there a newer version of the Oni app for OS X ?

#200 03/01/15 12:03

Iritscen

Yes, there are a couple newer builds that have been made available provisionally until Feral officially releases a build to replace 1.1b5.  See this thread.  You'll want the 1.1 build offered there; it's much more recent than 1.1b5, but it's not really well-supported because most users are past Snow Leopard now, which you mentioned elsewhere that you are running.  To get vsync, you can use the -vsync launch argument.  See the read-me and launch_args.txt that come with the 1.2 build in the aforementioned thread for help on setting this up.

Board footer