Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/23/08 22:02

LastmanSAC

How the Hell...

Just wondering how all the people here came across Oni.

With me would of been around the 10 year old mark when my bro fell ill with pancreatitis sad
when he was in hospital he recommended me to play the mac that was in the ward he was in, lo and behold i played Oni for the first time and loved it.
I forgot about it for around four years.
Then when i got a PS2 and was looking for games to get (i as raised on CB and AOE and didn't really know many other games) so i remembered only one word from my past, ONi, typed it in Wiki and ebay, then hunted down a PS2 copy.
the end of an utterly useless story.

#2 02/24/08 06:02

AdamBast

Re: How the Hell...

When the game hit the stores, I payed for a pirate copy. I wish I'd bought a legal one, but back then I wasn't a fan of Oni (now I can't buy it legally). So I played it, and I was very noob. Almost instantly forgot it, I just put it on the shelf. In 2007 I decided to complete the game, whatever it takes. It was hard for me even in easy setting, but I did it. Now I play almost every day.

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#3 02/24/08 10:02

adorage

I was 12 in spring 2001 and had just started doing karate 2 years ago, so my father recommended a demo of a game "with a girl doing karate" to me that was on a CD in a PC magazine. It was English and I didn't understand a word but loved it anyway. Then I bought the German version in summer. Played it on my mom's PC all summer long whenever she would let me XD

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#4 02/24/08 13:02

eDea

AdamBast wrote:

When the game hit the stores, I payed for a pirate copy. I wish I'd bought a legal one, but back then I wasn't a fan of Oni (now I can't buy it legally).

Imagine that in Poland even today you can buy it in supermarket for about 20 PLN. I saw it few months ago.

There is always someone stronger. Have you forgotten?

#5 02/25/08 01:02

Sheika23

after i fell in love with bungie for its realease of halo 1 i started getting their other games like marathon and Oni.  Oni is by far my favorite game

THe 0rijin4L SHEIKA-23

#6 02/25/08 03:02

ItemfinderDeluxe

I originally got a Demo in a copy of an Australian Magazine called Hyper (or at least, i think it was that - I bought it for the old 2000 Link vs. Ganondorf video shown at E3 that year). I wanted to play it, but my computer was so crappy that it couldn't handle it, and so I shelved it. When I bought my new comp (back in 2004, and yes I still own it), I tried out the demo and instantly loved it.

I managed to acquire an actual copy of the game (Take 2 release) from a second-hand dealer for $20. It's only one of 2 PC games I still have in my collection, as most pale compared to it in terms of potential and community.

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#7 02/25/08 07:02

eDea

When I bought my computer I received ONI demo with few other games. At first I didn't even want to check this game, cause it seemed boring lol

There is always someone stronger. Have you forgotten?

#8 05/05/11 05:05

AdamBast

Finally I bought ONi !!!!
Hahahah!!

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#9 05/05/11 07:05

Yoriko

Back in 2001 my father downloaded the oni demo, I thought it was cool but I didnt understand anything of the story, my father saw that I liked it and bought the whole game for me, I played it through but didnt understand anything of the story, all I remember was that it was an entertaining game, when we got new computers it didnt work hmm (blam, oni crashed) so I decided to forget it and seek out new games: Half life 2, Quake 3 and other famous games. Somewhere in 2009 I moved to Gothenburg, packing in and packing up old stuff brings back memories and when I saw Oni again I tried to run it on a relatively old computer, it worked like a charm and I was anxious to make it work on my newer computer. (the one I'm currently using) Blam! Oni crashed, from that moment on I was trying to find a solution when I came across this forum smile
I searched around and took a look at many of the topics and checked out most youtube videos of mods that had been added to the game and I was blown away to find such an active community for such an old game.
Not long ago I found out about the daodan, I must have been trying for at least a day in total time to make it work. (My computer skills are 0) Now I'm downloading mods and scripts for the game whenever I've got time wink

The end, or perhaps I should say the beggining big_smile

Last edited by Yoriko (05/05/11 07:05)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#10 05/05/11 08:05

Delano762
Website

Well, back in 2007 and 2008, when I was a big fanboy of Halo, (best part is, I don't even have an Xbox) and had a bad PC, which allowed only games made before 2007, I was reading about Bungie on wikipedia. I also looked at their other games. One of them was Oni. After few months, I've decided to, erm... get it... LESS LEGALLY and play it. (Sorry) That's how I discovered my favorite game of all time smile

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#11 05/05/11 09:05

Zanon15

I found Oni in 2001, during summer vacations big_smile
I already had the Demo at home, and since I hated being stuck playing Trial, 1st Chap and 4th chapters, I bought the game... And then, the world was never the same...

#12 05/05/11 14:05

TheCreature

Around the age of 12 or so I had just inherited my Dad's old OS9 mac, and was browsing through a bunch of old "Macaddict" CD's for decent games.  At the time I was into puzzle/mystery games so I just kinda skipped over Oni, thinking it was "just another shooter".

A couple years passed, and I had gotten more into the action genre, so I pulled out those old CD's again, and saw an Oni ad on the cover of one.  Consequently, I picked it up and installed the demo.  I launched into the training room, and soon found the controls to be too complex for my tastes.  So back on the shelf it went for another two years until I finally convinced myself to give it another shot.  This time I forced myself to patiently master the controls, and eventually made it through the training room.  I wasn't fully convinced I liked the game, but then I got to the bit about "Overpower mode" and I started enjoying running through the warehouse whilst glowing and killing everyone ha ha ha.

After about three years of playing through the demo over and over and over, I considered myself the ultimate master of all Oni combat.  Then I glimpsed a copy of Oni in an old used-book store.  I picked it up, glanced at the label, and lo-and-behold it was for Mac.  So i bought it and was immediately stumped and astounded by all the new weapons and characters that weren't in the demo.  So after beating the game and receiving only  one cheat code, I went hunting for more cheats so I could more easily do my purple-fairy-of-ultimate-doom routine.  I clicked a link to OCF, and have been hanging around here ever since.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#13 05/05/11 17:05

Iritscen

Yes, it's a little silly that Oni only gives the player one code in the ending credits.

As for me, I became a big Marathon fan while in high school, and so I was automatically interested in whatever other games Bungie was working on.  I remember watching the 1999 Oni trailer at school and being intrigued by three elements: the architecture, the combat, and Konoko's amazing sashay at the end smile  I had never seen character animation like that before.

I lost track of the game's development when I graduated, because I didn't have Internet access at the time, but eventually a friend from school showed me the game after it came out a couple years later.  I don't recall beating it at the time I first got it, but in 2007 I was feeling nostalgic about old Mac games that I missed playing, and that's when I suddenly remembered Oni for the first time in years and got back to playing it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#14 05/05/11 17:05

Lithium

My sister's friend let her borrow the game for the PS2. So I assumed it was one of those poor cash in titles...and it was, but I enjoyed Oni. I played around with the cheats first and then sat down and played every level. I really enjoyed the game, so one day I was looking at some youtube videos and love_oni left a comment on some user's youtube account that told him to google OCF. So I googled it and I joined here, and spammed memes for all of 2009 :thumbsup:

Oh and in 2009 someone sent me the game to download, but I never cared for getting it to work until late last year. So yeah.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#15 05/05/11 17:05

DarkLitria
Website

i dont knw why oni was addicting for me when i was 11?

at first, i watched my bro played oni and he like 17 years old? than he gave up because it was hard for him and let me play and i manage to complete it and then i completed it several times again XD; and my bro got anoyyed. that the game was on PS2.
afterwards  i stopped playing it because i was final fantasy fan and other games on ps2, and wen i head to ... skool collage which was now (Im nearly 19 now), i met a friend, told me about oni and i was thinking.... why not play it again? XD soooo i brought the game on PC because the other one broke and my friend showed me this website and decided to draw fanarts and join the fun :3

oni was the first game i ever played and completed on ps2 smile

No BLOOD no foul.

#16 05/05/11 17:05

Lithium

Fun Fact: I've never played a level without cheats

#17 05/05/11 18:05

Leus
Website

Whaat, Oni is awesome with cheats but one of the most satisfying games to play without cheats...  Because the combat is so raw and uninhibited and dynamic and, I don't even know how to explain it but...  Ok think of Assassin's Creed, for instance.  Everyone thinks it's super awesome for some reason, but when you fight a ton of dudes they stand around you in a circle and come at you one at a time to be killed with some well-timed super move or something, I don't really know I only played the first one.  But Oni man, you gotta be on your toes the whole time, they'll never stop comin' at you.  I dunno, like I always say, the gameplay is unrivaled in anything I've ever played.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#18 05/05/11 18:05

Lithium

Idk I like screwing around, never really liked 3D Beat em Ups

#19 05/05/11 19:05

Yoriko

I really like Oni beacause it's so challenging in a different way than other 3rd person melee, in Oni the ai sometimes suddenly beacome incredibly good at blocking and dodging and kicking my ass. One time I fought the first avenger ninja that you face on the rooftops mission (if you're playing on hard there's an avenger ninja chasing after you when you're dashing towards the sniper) playing as a ninja character and he killed me despite that I've got as much health as Konoko. yikes But most of the time I'm able to take them down with little problem.
The real fun is ofc when you mix weapons into combat, fighting of a couple of guys while there's a third guy shooting a screaming cell at you, then you need to act quickly and knock them down so that the screaming cell can harvest their lifes. big_smile

Last edited by Yoriko (05/05/11 19:05)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#20 05/05/11 20:05

Iritscen

Leus wrote:

Ok think of Assassin's Creed, for instance.  Everyone thinks it's super awesome for some reason, but when you fight a ton of dudes they stand around you in a circle and come at you one at a time to be killed with some well-timed super move

Yes, Loser and I have complained about this nerfing of combat AIs as well.  Look at the entertaining "Batman: Arkham Asylum" for another example.  Games like these are developed with an emphasis on allowing you to do cool things with timed button presses so you can have some easy fun, rather than on challenging you to hone your skills and get satisfaction from pulling off a victory when the odds are truly against you.  As a working adult with limited time on his hands, I'm not opposed to the "easy fun" school of game design, but it definitely can't replace the appeal of Oni.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#21 05/05/11 22:05

Phydur

heh back when i was still in highschool i saw one of my teacher's playing it on his laptop durring lunch. (he'd have various clubs meet in his class room during lunch.)
a few of us where watching and he let us play. I remember he was on the airport cargo hanger level a little after save point 4, on the stairs to the door on the roof to go back down.
i really liked it so much i went and found it used at gamestop and bought it about a week later.

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#22 06/17/11 09:06

Unit 2

I just found it in a shop somewhere, I think. I thought it looked cool, so I bought it. It was so long ago, and I definitely thought that the game was too hard. But it stuck in my head, and I always come back to things which stick.

#23 06/17/11 14:06

Lithium

Someone gave me a link to the game :B

#24 06/19/11 00:06

NeverMore

I played game demo in March,2001,and bought the CD version three years latter.

#25 06/20/11 19:06

s10k
Website

Came per-installed with my first computer together with max payne and colin mcrae rally 2.0. ^^

Board footer