Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/18/09 17:03

Iritscen

Oni's 'O' icon, vectorized

I know that our Windows friends are still using the original Oni icon, an image of Konoko, so not all of you probably know that when Omni Group released the OS X port back in 2001-2003, they gave it a new icon (I'd like to know the story behind that, but anyway).  Back then OS X icons could only be 128 pixels in size, but Leopard (10.5) raised the maximum to 512px, and last week I suddenly decided that I wanted to bring our Oni icon into 2009.  You could call it a representation of my optimistic feelings for Oni's future.

Here's some comparisons; the vectorized version has been roughly scaled to the same size; if they're slightly off, just ignore it for now, it won't be the case in the icon file that I'll be producing:

At 32px (the usual size in an OS X window, for me at least)
[redacted] - see my post of April 2011 below for the new images

At 128px (the real size of the original icon)
[redacted]

At 512px (Leopard's maximum size)
[redacted]

The new icon is guaranteed to look good at up to 1024px just in case Apple decides to bump the limit up to an even more ridiculous size roll.  Anyway, I need you guys' feedback on at least two things:

- Does the color around the very edge of the new icon look bluer than it did in the original icon?  I tried to match every color by direct sampling, but had trouble with that part.

- The original icon has a, well, let's call it a texture, in the inner ring of the icon.  I don't know if it's intentional, or a case of compression artifacting, or dithering from a lack of bit depth.  My version simply uses a smooth gradient which is noticeably smoother at full size.  Is this a problem?  Does anyone think it looks better with that "texture" that the original had?

Any other thoughts/criticism welcome as well.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 03/18/09 17:03

Alloc
Website

Re: Oni's 'O' icon, vectorized

Hi Iritscen,

really good job you did here smile

What I noticed first by looking at the icons: The original one had a much more noticeable "golden glow" (especially the 128px one). Both on the inside and the outside. IMHO that's an important "feature" to the look of the icon.
As you asked about the blue ring ... Yeah, it looks quite different. Not that noticeable on smaller sizes, but on the larger ones. It looks kinda weird. I think it should be a bit darker, perhaps even removed. The original one looks a bit like a gradient from the inner blue ring to the outer silver ring to me.
As for your second question: I don't think it was designed to have a structure in the inner ring. I would assume that's just compression artifacts. Still your's looks a bit brighter on the lower end in 512px. But it's hard to tell if it's really disturbing or just different wink

Regards,
Chris

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#3 03/19/09 01:03

Gumby

The O icon is in the Windows EXE, just unused. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 03/19/09 02:03

Pierre

Looks good smile

I was looking for Oni fonts a while back, the full alphabet... I guess it doesn't exist anywhere, does it?

- Pierre

#5 03/19/09 10:03

Gumby

Well there is Xeotron...http://wiki.oni2.net/Xenotron

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#6 03/19/09 12:03

Pierre

I was more looking for something similar to Iritscen did, but for the whole alphabet smile

#7 03/19/09 13:03

Iritscen

I'd guess that the only letters that exist in that alphabet are a capital O, capital N, and lowercase i, but I could be wrong wink

#8 03/20/09 19:03

Iritscen

Belated response to Alloc:
I see what you mean about the glow on the edge; somehow it escaped my notice while I kept staring at the other parts trying to see if they were okay, but yeah, the glow should be a bit wider.

And I think I agree that the bottom of the center ring is too light; it was tricky to sample a color (which you do by picking a single pixel, of course) when all the pixels in that area are different thanks to the "texture" smile  But I think I should have picked a more middle-of-the-road pixel; it looks like I picked one of the lightest ones by accident.

On the subject of the "blue ring", I'm afraid you lost me.  Are you referring to the thin blue lines between the center ring and the silver edges?

#9 03/20/09 21:03

Alloc
Website

Iritscen wrote:

On the subject of the "blue ring", I'm afraid you lost me.  Are you referring to the thin blue lines between the center ring and the silver edges?

Yep, exactly. I think it's just a gradient from the inner blue color to the silver border. But that could be wrong ... Hard to tell with the quality of the original image big_smile

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#10 03/20/09 21:03

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Iritscen wrote:

I'd guess that the only letters that exist in that alphabet are a capital O, capital N, and lowercase i, but I could be wrong wink

Yeah, because it's not an actual font but something Alex Okita threw together.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#11 04/08/11 22:04

Iritscen

I bet no one even remembers this thread, but I thought I should update it since I hate leaving an unfinished story.  To recap, the 'O' icon was always an alternate icon resource inside Oni (for Windows too).  In the original Oni app for Mac, the icon was marked as type 'INST', so perhaps Bungie meant for it to be the icon for Oni's installer (although they used Konoko's face for that too).  However, when Omni produced the Cocoa (OS X-native) Oni port, they chose this icon instead of the original Konoko one, so now it's our official Oni Mac icon.

When we moved to Leopard, icon sizes increased, and this icon only got grungier the more it was blown up, so I started tracing the icon in a vector app so it would be suitable for the Intel Mac build that would be made some day.  Even though I stopped working on the icon for a long while, I kept it in the back of my mind as something to finish when the time was right.  So a few months ago, I took the feedback I got above and tweaked the icon a little.  Here's an updated comparison:

Oni%20Icon-comp-512.png

Now that the Intel build from Feral is almost ready for release, it seems appropriate to bump this thread to mention that the Intel build will use this version of the icon, and, for anyone who is interested, I've put the icns file, PNG renders, and the original SVG vector file up for download on my Oni2.net subdomain.

Ultimately, there's not a lot of difference from the original 'O' except that the new one is larger and cleaner.  I'm pretty much considering it a finished work at this point, but if anyone does have any feedback on the icon, this is the place to post it and if you convince me to change something, the Intel Mac build icon might get updated.

#12 04/09/11 06:04

Samer
Website

I think it looks great Iritscen smile even the first attempt looked pretty good to me.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#13 04/09/11 08:04

TOCS

Apple really likes big icons, huh? tongue Do they expect Mac people to be completely blind in the search of an application? ^_^" Anyways, these high-res icons really fits into my collection. I've been using the previous ones for some time now. tongue

#14 04/09/11 08:04

Iritscen

I doubt most users set their icons to be bigger than 64x64, but visibility for people with disabilities is one big reason for having large icons.  Apple's well-known for their support of visual/audio disabilities in their OSes.  Also, icons sometimes are enlarged, for instance the zooming effect when double-clicking an application.

#15 04/09/11 14:04

Dirk Gently
Website

512x512 OH YEAH!

#16 04/10/11 04:04

Samer
Website

any plans to make the other icon (konoko's head) high resolution as well smile ?

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#17 04/10/11 04:04

Delano762
Website

Samer wrote:

any plans to make the other icon (konoko's head) high resolution as well smile ?

Agree

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#18 04/10/11 07:04

Iritscen

Well, if I ever get back to my Konoko Vivant project, where I was giving this same vector treatment to various game art, I had the KONintense talking head texture on the to-do list.  I'm pretty sure that KONintense was cropped and used as the "Konoko face" icon for Oni.  I haven't worked on that project in almost three years, though, because of all my other commitments.  I suppose if there's enough interest in a larger Windows icon, I could do that one....

#19 04/11/11 14:04

Chamyky
Website

Iritscen wrote:

… Also, icons sometimes are enlarged, for instance the zooming effect when double-clicking an application.

I believe that the normal-resolution icon is the one used for the effect, actually. Not that the difference is noticeable though.

#20 04/11/11 14:04

Iritscen

It's true that the effect is usually too fast to notice much difference in the icon, but just for kicks, here's a comparison:

Oni%20PPC%20zoom.jpg Oni%20Intel%20zoom.jpg

Oddly, some icons seem to use lower-resolution images for the zoom effect than others:
Low-res%20zoom.jpg Hi-res%20zoom.jpg
I can actually count the pixels in the left example -- it's 32x32, but the app has a 128x128 icon.  Whereas I can practically read the text in the icon on the right, and it also has a 128x128 icon (which is odd, I thought that the Finder surely had a 512px icon for plain-text documents by now).

Board footer