Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/22/07 11:10

Iritscen

Custom save points?

I just "rediscovered" Oni, and I am reminded of how awesome it was, and yet how frustrating it could be, e.g., beating the Chapter 3 Warehouse goons handily after a few false starts, then dying instantly at the end because I missed a box jumping across the bio stuff at the lower level.  mad

I definitely want to beat this game without cheats or saved-game edits, and on Normal difficulty, but I don't have the time in my life to try each ****ing level 10 times.  I don't suppose there's any way to save whenever you want, using the debug mode or anything?  It seems like Oni ought to allow saving anywhere internally, since it doesn't only save at level starts, but also at seemingly random times within levels (why no save before the part where you descend through the warehouse?).

I don't see anything in the Oni wiki or this board about this topic, though.  Does that mean it's not possible?  Say it ain't so.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 10/22/07 16:10

Tracker

Re: Custom save points?

Oni makes save points at fixed positions automatically.
You can't influence this, but there are different ways to play Oni.
A few months ago I recorded all 14 chapters of Oni.
If you are interested in examples, you can watch my movies here.
It's a quick way, not a secure way, to play Oni.
If you intend to finish the game, the one or the other scene perhaps is interesting for you.

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#3 10/23/07 05:10

m2

...because I missed a box jumping across the bio stuff at the lower level.

No need for that. After using the last console, beat the mad bomber, go upstairs to the 1st floor again, run to the other side and jump down in front of the big door.

I don't suppose there's any way to save whenever you want...

That's not the problem. You can do this via scripting. The problem is that Oni stores only player-related stuff like postion, health, weapon, etc. and not level logic stuff like enemies, triggers, doors, lights, etc. So if you save during the game, die a little bit later and reload your own last savepoint, Oni spawns Konoko to the saved position but there are no enemies, unlocked doors ar locked again, and so on.

Last edited by m2 (10/23/07 05:10)

#4 10/23/07 08:10

Iritscen

m2 wrote:

...because I missed a box jumping across the bio stuff at the lower level.

No need for that. After using the last console, beat the mad bomber, go upstairs to the 1st floor again, run to the other side and jump down in front of the big door.

Sweet.  Good idea.  I can crouch to avoid taking damage from the fall, right?

m2 wrote:

I don't suppose there's any way to save whenever you want...

That's not the problem. You can do this via scripting. The problem is that Oni stores only player-related stuff like postion, health, weapon, etc. and not level logic stuff like enemies, triggers, doors, lights, etc. So if you save during the game, die a little bit later and reload your own last savepoint, Oni spawns Konoko to the saved position but there are no enemies, unlocked doors ar locked again, and so on.

Hmm.  That's very interesting.  So your custom savepoints are not full savepoints, in other words.  I wish there was a way to "save state", for those who are familiar with emus.  I would think there was a way to download the state of the relevant memory via scripting, but I am very new to the whole Oni scripting thing.  I'm just speaking as an amateur programmer.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 10/23/07 10:10

m2

I can crouch to avoid taking damage from the fall, right?

IIRC you can jump, crouch, slide, walk, whatever. Konoko doesn't take any damage, because the difference between 1st floor and ground floor isn't high enough.

So your custom savepoints are not full savepoints, in other words.

Uh-hu. Even the way to save via scripting is more a workaround. (Oni has to wait for a special animation of Konoko. If Konoko plays this animation, Oni saves the game.)

I wish there was a way to "save state", for those who are familiar with emus.

The pc verison of Oni loads a vtuneapi.dll during the startup (see wiki). So maybe it can be used to save the state, watch keypress events and process them.

#6 11/10/07 12:11

geyser
Website

Oni supports up to 10 save points per level. However, Oni doesn't save the whole game state, only Konoko's position, health, inventory, etc.
That means that saving can only occur automatically, at a special moment, for example after a door locks behind you, so you can't go back.
However, if you are not concerned about enemies disappearing when you reload, there could be such a thing as 1 or 2 "manual" save slots.

It is rather easy to set up additional checkpoints in every one of Oni's levels. The manual save could also be set up easily in some levels.
You are welcome to use this thread to suggest where the 10 checkpoints should be in every level. I will then gladly set them up for you.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#7 07/31/12 19:07

Samer
Website

i realize this is a very old topic, i was searching for custom save point and this came up ..i have the same question Iritscen had years ago. After the anniversary edition and all the progress we made, is it still not possible to add custom save points to an existing level without losing the data mentioned and having enemies disappear when u load the custom save point ?

Last edited by Samer (07/31/12 19:07)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#8 07/31/12 22:07

EdT
Website

gmsly was able to add custom savepoints with his mod: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=2285

#9 08/01/12 06:08

s10k
Website

You will need some bsl editing and presume what was not loaded with savepoint (for example enemies) and spawn them just after the savepoint loads. Also how m2 mentioned doors or triggers can be a problem.

is it still not possible to add custom save points to an existing level without losing the data mentioned and having enemies disappear when u load the custom save point ?

I'm not aware if that exists.

Last edited by s10k (08/01/12 06:08)

Board footer