Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/21/10 13:12

RiceyChicken

Fighting Montage Help

Hey everybody, Ricey here again. So, I'm planning to create and record a few several montages of me using several of my favorite characters. Now, I'd like to know a few things:

1) What kind of recording software should I use? Is it easy to use? Does it have top-notch quality? Most importantly, is it free?

2) Any arena type mods or some sort of mod where I can chose who to fight? Is it recommended that I use these sort of mods for my montages?

and finally...

3) Should I upload these to Youtube for your entertainment?
^
(This question is optional.)

#2 12/21/10 23:12

Mukade

Re: Fighting Montage Help

1) I'd recommend Fraps, the full version is not free, but you can get the trial. The only drawbaack is your limited to 30 second clips (although you can do as many 30 second clips as you want, with only the time it takes to hit the record button again in between the clips) and you have the Fraps watermark on your video, which is fairly common anyways.

2) I'd recommend Leus's OZG (Oni Zen Garden) It's located on last savepoint of rooftops, it's basically a sandbox. You can choose teams or no, how many enemies spawn, which enemies spawn, whether you have weapons, and even what music you want to play. I did a fighting montage of my own there, which you can view by looking up my account on YouTube: Mukadeus

3) Of course! Why else would you make a montage big_smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#3 12/22/10 11:12

RiceyChicken

Mukade wrote:

1) I'd recommend Fraps, the full version is not free, but you can get the trial. The only drawbaack is your limited to 30 second clips (although you can do as many 30 second clips as you want, with only the time it takes to hit the record button again in between the clips) and you have the Fraps watermark on your video, which is fairly common anyways.

2) I'd recommend Leus's OZG (Oni Zen Garden) It's located on last savepoint of rooftops, it's basically a sandbox. You can choose teams or no, how many enemies spawn, which enemies spawn, whether you have weapons, and even what music you want to play. I did a fighting montage of my own there, which you can view by looking up my account on YouTube: Mukadeus

3) Of course! Why else would you make a montage big_smile

Hmmm... you seem to have a good amount of knowledge about my problem. Back on topic, I have Fraps the full version, but here's the thing: I've tried a few recordings with Fraps and Oni and the framerate is just terrible. It always drops below the 30 limit everytime I record. Is there any way to increase the recording speed or framerate of the game so it doesn't fall below the 30 fps mark.

Next thing, how do I get Leus's Oni Zen Garden? Where can I find his script? Is there any way I can adjust the difficulty of the AI?

(By the way, thank you for answering my previous questions... including number 3.)

#4 12/22/10 11:12

Mukade

You might try running the game in windowed mode. (It should be in the Edition folder, called run_wind in case you hadn't seen it) I can't guarantee it'll be much, if any, better, but I think it makes a difference. And you don't have to worry, because, as you may or may not know, it only records what it sees in the game, not the the screen (so you won't be filming your desktop in the background)

As for the OZG, you can look in Mods tab, and I think under the sticky called The Authoritative Third-Party Mod Directory, or something like that, then scroll down until you find Leus's post, and you can prolly find the OZG there.

As for AI difficulty, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not sure if you can change it ingame, but you can change it from the options menu :-/

Last edited by Mukade (12/22/10 11:12)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#5 12/22/10 20:12

RiceyChicken

Mukade wrote:

You might try running the game in windowed mode. (It should be in the Edition folder, called run_wind in case you hadn't seen it) I can't guarantee it'll be much, if any, better, but I think it makes a difference. And you don't have to worry, because, as you may or may not know, it only records what it sees in the game, not the the screen (so you won't be filming your desktop in the background)

As for the OZG, you can look in Mods tab, and I think under the sticky called The Authoritative Third-Party Mod Directory, or something like that, then scroll down until you find Leus's post, and you can prolly find the OZG there.

As for AI difficulty, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not sure if you can change it ingame, but you can change it from the options menu :-/

That's just it though. When I was testing out the recording, the game started to drop frames from 58 to 8 as soon as I started recording. As for the OZG question, thank you for telling me where to find it. Did Leus ever put it in the mod depot?

#6 12/22/10 23:12

northero
Website

I've got the same problem riceychicken.. I wanted to make a video of me playing oni but yea.. 8 fps is kinda hard

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#7 12/22/10 23:12

RiceyChicken

Maybe it's being caused by the laptop I'm using right now. My laptop isn't those type of things where gaming comes first.

#8 12/23/10 03:12

Tudorge
Website

Don't use fraps for low end PCs. I knew My Screen Recorder was good, but had watermark on trial.
A capture card is out of bounds since you're using a laptop.
And I know Hypercam is popular, but the framerate in most video is awful at playback.

#9 12/23/10 03:12

northero
Website

u can try wegames smile although it didn't help increase my fps but it is also a free-to-use game recorder

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#10 12/23/10 03:12

Sharoduinn

Can't wait to see your production :-)
I'd do something myself too if I had a proper screen recording program...
Any of you know a good (and preferrably free) screen recorder for the Mac? I'm getting quite frustrated with Quicktime X screen recording : /

"Sorry about the mess"

#11 12/23/10 11:12

Mukade

Yeah, actually, my computer isnt extremely high-end, but I still managed it with Fraps, although for the Oni Tribute, I used a much better computer.

#12 12/28/10 12:12

RiceyChicken

Well, it's been days since I've been trying to get this montage up, but it's just not going to happen. My hardware cannot support the kind the things I'm trying to do for my montage. Oh well, at least I can still play the game...

#13 12/29/10 16:12

Phydur

maybe someday when you get a better computer or something?

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

Board footer