Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/29/10 18:10

miyagiCE

Remember the Oni comic?

Who am I kidding? Of course you remember the Oni comic. You see, every couple of years I go on a nostalgia trip and replay my old games, Oni being a favorite among them. When I was playing it the last time I remembered that Dark Horse at one point published the comics, so I went out and bought them. At the time I was only able to get ahold of 4 of the 5 issues. To be exact, I'm still missing issue #0, which was, according to some sources on the net, given away as a freebie with some game magazines prior to the game's release. Do you guys remember which magazines/issues these were (I know GamePro to be among them, but without the issue number it's a wild good chase)? Have you ever seen the comic (#0) sold separately? Do you know if, in the worst case scenario, scans of it exist at least?

Thanks.

#2 10/29/10 19:10

TheCreature

Re: Remember the Oni comic?

Wait, there was a comic?  Why didn't anyone tell me about this???

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#3 10/29/10 20:10

Iritscen

The wiki is your master, bow down to it: http://wiki.oni2.net/Dark_Horse_comics .  Although, we only have issues 0-3, so this talk of five issues interests me.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 10/30/10 04:10

miyagiCE

Oh great, there actually are scans. Spares me the trouble of scanning them myself (been meaning to do that ever since I bought 'em since I could never find the issues on P2P). The resolution's a bit lacking though. But hey, beggars can't be choosers, right? So thanks for that.

Well, the total number of released issues is 5 because 0-3# are 4, and then there's a limited edition release of #1.

So does anyone know where/how to get #0 physically?

#5 10/30/10 05:10

Sharoduinn

Could you maybe scan your issues 4 & 5 and get them in the wiki?
I think many people (including me) would be very thankful for that, as we won't probably ever get a chance to read them otherwise smile

"Sorry about the mess"

#6 10/30/10 06:10

miyagiCE

Sure I would, if there was a real need. But like I explained in my post above, there's in essence only what's on the Wiki already.

Issue #0: Freebie given away with some game magazines.
Issue #1: Sold as part of the comic series.
Issue #1 (Dynamic Forces Exclusive Edition): Sold as part of the comic series. Limited to 2000 copies. Features variant cover and DF Certificate of Authenticity (basically a sheet of paper with a number ranging from 1 to 2000.)
Issue #2: Sold as part of the comic series.
Issue #3: Sold as part of the comic series.

Total: 5 smile

Here are the missing scans:
http://glr.hawtmail.de/index.php?displa … g&non_lr=1
http://glr.hawtmail.de/index.php?displa … g&non_lr=1

#7 10/30/10 06:10

Iritscen

Ah, thanks for the additional info, and the special #1 cover, I'll upload that to the wiki soon.

The comic's not a bad look into what Konoko might have been up to when she was still being a good little TCTF cop, if there were actually any missions for her before the first one in the game.  Although I know that Lorraine had little praise for the art inside the covers :-)

#8 10/30/10 07:10

miyagiCE

Iritscen wrote:

Although I know that Lorraine had little praise for the art inside the covers :-)

Heh, and rightly so. God, I can't put words to the measure of awesome it would've been if Lorraine had been responsible for the entire artwork. Who the hell is Sunny Lee anyway, and how can anyone even consider contracting him (her?).

#9 10/30/10 08:10

Iritscen

Hehe.  My favorite comment from Lorraine is when she observes that Konoko's butt is four feet wide when she's on her motorcycle.  I think Sunny is a "he", and apparently was picked by Dark Horse or T2 to do the comic.  Because it was a low-budget comic, they seem to have used it to try out an unproven artist.

You can see a general change in the style (and I would say quality) of Oni's artwork as T2 takes over the property in late 2000, early 2001.  Here's what I think is Lorraine's last art for Oni, and here's some T2 art (huh? isn't that gun from pre-beta Oni??).  They also did this to her model in the intro movie for T2's PS2 port of Oni.  I hope the model actually doesn't look like that in-game.

#10 10/30/10 08:10

miyagiCE

Glad I never played the PS2 port then. I shiver at the thought of PS2 loading times and clunky, unresponsive controls. There are loads of great PS2 games, but our sweet, little Oni probably isn't one of them.

Also, can you link me to those comments? I'm sure they're rather amusing. big_smile

Last edited by miyagiCE (10/30/10 08:10)

#11 10/30/10 10:10

Iritscen

Sure, the post I was referring to is at http://carnage.bungie.org/oniforum/oni. … ?read=7067 .  Search for other posts from the user "mehve" if you want to read more from Lorraine.  Clicking on the "Oni Central Forum" link in the main forum index under the "Old forums" section takes you to the search page for the original OCF.  But the post I link to is the main one where you get to see her real opinion of the comic ^_^

#12 10/30/10 11:10

miyagiCE

Thanks, that was kinda funny. I scavenged the rest of the forum for info on issue #0, but nada. sad

#13 10/30/10 11:10

Iritscen

I thought there was something about a Pop Mhan doing the pencils for #0, and then Sunny doing the rest of the issues, or maybe the opposite, but I thought Lorraine said that somewhere.

#14 10/30/10 11:10

miyagiCE

Yeah, I saw that too. But I was hoping to find info on where to find a copy of the issue.

#15 10/30/10 13:10

Iritscen

Your printer output tray ^_^

#16 11/04/10 00:11

Stevinlewis

Theres only scans of the cover? D: Is it possible to get the full thing ._.?

#17 11/04/10 03:11

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Really not worth it since the comic isn't very good.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#18 11/04/10 05:11

Iritscen

Stevin, look more carefully at the wiki link I posted wink

#19 11/07/10 04:11

Stevinlewis

There it is! Its below it!!!

And Harry: Well its all about the sentimental value of it. Its just saving for the reference of it just in case our grandchildren wanted to know more about the game "oni" we played 10 times a day, they can revisit this site and explore what we saw. wink

EDIT: Okay you gotta admit its kinda hard to see what theyre saying but hey, at least its up there! ^^

Last edited by Stevinlewis (11/07/10 04:11)

#20 01/10/11 17:01

kornflakes89

Iritscen wrote:

They also did this to her model in the intro movie for T2's PS2 port of Oni.  I hope the model actually doesn't look like that in-game.

she doesn't look like that in game, she looks a hell of alot better then that, but not really as good as the PC version.

#21 01/10/11 18:01

Lithium

Yeah she looks awful in the intro, in fact its funny it seems to unrealistic seeing the older face textures on Konoko. Man modding is godly

Also ANOTHER PS2 ONI OWNER, this is great

Last edited by Lithium (01/10/11 18:01)

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#22 01/14/11 17:01

Phydur

i own both the PC and PS2 versons of oni.
actualy, i got Oni free from a friend when i bought some of his games from him. er, the PS2 version. not the PC version.

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#23 01/16/11 03:01

kornflakes89

i got the PS2 version from an adult novelty store for a dollar...no seriously a dollar O.o

my PC version was bought off eBay for a christmas present.

#24 01/16/11 09:01

Mukade

lol, adult novelty store for a buck? I guess it really isn't very popular -_-

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#25 01/16/11 15:01

kornflakes89

i wouldn't know, everytime i've went in there to see if they had more games they kicked me out for being underaged (at the time) so i figured they were selling them off that cheap just to get rid of them.

was a good deal though, no matter how many times i played it i never got tired of it.

Board footer